• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Oliver Martin listed as #1 on PR depth chart

I would say, considering all of the kickers they brought in after last season, that the staff is absolutely making the kicking game a priority.
Yeah, we finally have a couple of guys who can kick it into the end zone like every other team has, but we continue to execute poorly in the other phases of special teams.

Yeah, we finally have a couple of guys who can kick it into the end zone like every other team has, but we continue to execute poorly in the other phases of special teams.

Well the Culp thing looks like a case of the yips, but he was the conference kicker of the year last year. And the staff still brought in a bunch of other kickers. After the ridiculous 2019 season with kickers, I think they will go overboard to make sure that doesn't ever happen again.

Kamonte Grimes (Fr) was rumored to be a really fast punt returner, but I don't know if they are ready for him to be playing yet -- they might want to redshirt him. I haven't looked to see if he's participated yet.
I would totally understand that but in our case, i think we need to use whomever helps us win some games.. No need to keep the shelf full if they can be used at this point. But i know what you mean and it makes sense, from what i read he is a stud..

Brown did not look good at kick off returns last year at all IMO
That is what is frustrating... we have some guys that have the speed and quickness, but not the discipline. I hate to sound like a broken record, but that is a coaching issue. Hope it gets fixed quickly.

Brown did not look good at kick off returns last year at all IMO
Who did? One problem with guys who only see action in ST is they are dying to try to make a play and get noticed. Who can blame them? Unfortunately, the best way to get noticed is to do the smart thing. They are coached to do the smart thing, but the football player inside them wants to make a play.

Who did? One problem with guys who only see action in ST is they are dying to try to make a play and get noticed. Who can blame them? Unfortunately, the best way to get noticed is to do the smart thing. They are coached to do the smart thing, but the football player inside them wants to make a play.i

Who did? One problem with guys who only see action in ST is they are dying to try to make a play and get noticed. Who can blame them? Unfortunately, the best way to get noticed is to do the smart thing. They are coached to do the smart thing, but the football player inside them wants to make a play.
idk, all im saying is that is one thing to consider. the guy did not look good for a full season at KO returner so you have to consider if he didnt look good for a full season as KO returner, theres a decent chance he might not be a great choice at PR. idk how that donest make sense. Id try someone else but JMO

Last edited:
Actually if you go back and watch CTB at PR last year, he was pretty good. So I can see why they want him back there. He never dropped a ball that I can remember and he made some really nice returns. So im sure they are hoping hell keep learning. Unfortunately it doesnt matter how good you are if you keep making dumb mistakes and hurting the team. Id try Wil Nixon or how about guys like Irvin or Rahmir or even Manning? IDK they see the practices we dont

idk, all im saying is that is one thing to consider. the guy did not look good for a full season at KO returner so you have to consider if he didnt look good for a full season as KO returner, theres a decent chance he might not be a great choice at PR. idk how that donest make sense. Id try someone else but JMO
The issue isn't the kick returner, they all looked bad. The issue is the kick return UNIT. We are not blocking the coverage unit well enough. When the first tackler(s) reach the return man at the 10/15 yard line, it's an issue. Needing to make a move that early derails the returner's momentum and narrows his vision. That first guy may not make the tackle but alleys and lanes close up; it gives everyone else time to reach him.

I'm not going to pass judgement on any of our returners until they are actually in position to succeed.

Actually if you go back and watch CTB at PR last year, he was pretty good. So I can see why they want him back there. He never dropped a ball that I can remember and he made some really nice returns. So im sure they are hoping hell keep learning. Unfortunately it doesnt matter how good you are if you keep making dumb mistakes and hurting the team. Id try Wil Nixon or how about guys like Irvin or Rahmir or even Manning? IDK they see the practices we dont
Ball security hasn't been CTB's issue. He actually seems to track and catch the ball well. His issue has been decision making - both calling off the blockers (putting them into scramble) and knowing when/how to get away from the ball.

Well the Culp thing looks like a case of the yips, but he was the conference kicker of the year last year. And the staff still brought in a bunch of other kickers. After the ridiculous 2019 season with kickers, I think they will go overboard to make sure that doesn't ever happen again.
I was also thinking about punt and kickoff returns. Both are poor. And our punting so far this year has not been stellar either.

Look man, I'll just be thrilled each time they force OU to punt. Screw the returns.

When we made tOSU punt for the first time in a couple of games we considered that progress! But yes, hopefully we can get off of the field on third down at a decent rate and keep things interesting......

I was also thinking about punt and kickoff returns. Both are poor. And our punting so far this year has not been stellar either.

Agreed that the rest of it is not stellar, although the coverage units when needed have been solid
My other post was in response to your sentence about them finally getting a kicker to kick out of the endzone. They were very aggressive in bringing in lots of kickers. I think that's in response to 2019.

I put almost ZERO into these "depth charts" since they rarely change. Vokolek, Manning, and Martin were listed on last weeks chart, I believe. I may be wrong though.

I put almost ZERO into these "depth charts" since they rarely change. Vokolek, Manning, and Martin were listed on last weeks chart, I believe. I may be wrong though.

Buffalo.

1631859955736.png

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back