• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Oklahoma Practice Thread: Thursday 15 September: Coach Joseph Coaches Radio Show

Great answer (even if obvious). Reality is, everyone on the staff is working for their (next) job.

I always loved the saying I heard from Mike "The Shark" Newlin of the 1970's Houston Rockets: "The team you have the best chance to make is the one you are on..." A great piece of wisdom.

He used to say that quite a bit and said he learned that from one of the older players when he was a rookie. He had a lot of great thoughts on (pro) personnel decisions on his radio show.

Last edited:

Sam, his questions and disposition - do not bring out the best in others to put it kindly. Don't like it.
Yeah, he can come off as a condescending prick.
I will have to listen. I am a bit surprised by this reaction. I have always thought pretty highly of Sam but I haven't heard him speaking in a while. If anything, wonder if Sam is a bit disillusioned (he can come across that way after disappointing games on his video recaps). After all the BS that has been going on over the years. He never struck me as a real negative guy like Dirk and a couple of other people the OWH have/had on staff.

I can see where Sam is generally optimistic, but may have been way disappointed with all that has transpired. Heck, I am. albeit, many people would question me being optimistic!:Biggrin:

Last edited:
I can't believe they wern't.
I can. It explains a great deal. Most of what we have seen.

I have been meaning to post in the Good on Good thread. Dr. Rob has said several times that full speed action is important, and IIRC, they would do it one day a week in season. His view is that it does not necessarily result in more injuries, and may in fact result in less as hitting is part of training and conditioning. If you think about it, you can do all the training you want, but when you go do anything strenuous other than what you were doing (lifting & running) you will be very sore. So hitting strengthens the body in ways you are not going to get from all your off field efforts.

If you consider that many High Schools have backed down on routine hitting and some (many?) top athletes basically mail in High School - they are not 4 or 5 stars based solely on what they do on field. So if they come to DONU and don't hit and practice a fair amount at full speed, how do you think they will look on the field against the competition?

I will have to listen. I am a bit surprised by this reaction. I have always thought pretty highly of Sam but I haven't heard him speaking in a while. If anything, wonder if Sam is a bit disillusioned (he can come across that way after disappointing games on his video recaps). After all the BS that has been going on over the years. He never struck me as a real negative guy like Dirk and a couple of other people the OWH have/had on staff.

I can see where Sam is generally optimistic, but may have been way disappointed with all that has transpired. Heck, I am. albeit, many people would question me being optimistic!:Biggrin:
I agree with you on McKewon. I didnt mind his questions here, they were tough but clearly relevant. He was just moving on from the intro stage to the content stage quickly, which given this was the only press availability of the week kind of made sense.

I thought Mickey's replies were very good. Asked some hard questions he has a plan and is working on it. May not work, but that's all you can ask of him at this point, really. It increased my confidence in him.

I can. It explains a great deal. Most of what we have seen.

I have been meaning to post in the Good on Good thread. Dr. Rob has said several times that full speed action is important, and IIRC, they would do it one day a week in season. His view is that it does not necessarily result in more injuries, and may in fact result in less as hitting is part of training and conditioning. If you think about it, you can do all the training you want, but when you go do anything strenuous other than what you were doing (lifting & running) you will be very sore. So hitting strengthens the body in ways you are not going to get from all your off field efforts.

If you consider that many High Schools have backed down on routine hitting and some (many?) top athletes basically mail in High School - they are not 4 or 5 stars based solely on what they do on field. So if they come to DONU and don't hit and practice a fair amount at full speed, how do you think they will look on the field against the competition?
You learn against the best at full speed to play full speed.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back