• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Oklahoma / B1G Deal?

They wanted Oklahoma the last time around. OU will stay with Texas, if not for the rivalry, at least for continued exposure in the state of Texas to the degree they have now. It's their lifeblood.

Oklahoma to the Big Ten is unlikely. SEC would be more likely but the Pac 12 would definitely take OU with Texas.

Oklahoma to the SEC means sharing the SEC West with Texas A&M. That's a pretty dang good foundation. The PAC has very little to offer Oklahoma except the possibility that Texas might join it. I think that Texas and Oklahoma have had a symbiotic relationship since the creation of the Big 12, but Texas will look out for Texas, and it isn't at all necessary for either that that would end up being what's best for Oklahoma.

Rivalries just aren't as crucial in this decision-making process as fans want to believe. Give some lip service to continuing their rivalry game as an out-of-conference game, then make the choice that's best for each. Nobody thought that Texas A&M would ever break from Texas, but it's hard to argue that moving to the SEC has been anything but good for their program. It's hard to argue that it's done anything but hurt Texas's program. Go back and read the stories from 2011 about A&M and Texas, and you'll see that it was absolutely assumed by Texas that A&M would never want to be anything more than Texas' little brother. A&M fans didn't like that, but they also seemed to believe that that's how things would play out ... until it didn't. They haven't played since. Everybody is talking at length about the loss of the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry from both Nebraska and Oklahoma's perspectives, but nobody has mentioned that A&M was perfectly willing to throw away the Texas rivalry for the money and a fresh start in the SEC. Oklahoma noticed. They had a better arrangement going with the Big 12 as long as Texas stayed, so they stayed. Oklahoma is NOT going to enter another new conference with any sort of arrangement that puts them at a competitive disadvantage with Texas. Texas might fit in the SEC, but I don't see them wanting to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle, and I can't see A&M fighting to get them in. A&M might have a more natural ally with Oklahoma that can naturally morph into a rivalry game.

Last edited:
Oklahoma to the SEC means sharing the SEC West with Texas A&M. That's a pretty dang good foundation. The PAC has very little to offer Oklahoma except the possibility that Texas might join it. I think that Texas and Oklahoma have had a symbiotic relationship since the creation of the Big 12, but Texas will look out for Texas, and it isn't at all necessary for either that that would end up being what's best for Oklahoma.

Rivalries just aren't as crucial in this decision-making process as fans want to believe. Give some lip service to continuing their rivalry game as an out-of-conference game, then make the choice that's best for each. Nobody thought that Texas A&M would ever break from Texas, but it's hard to argue that moving to the SEC has been anything but good for their program. It's hard to argue that it's done anything but hurt Texas's program. Go back and read the stories from 2011 about A&M and Texas, and you'll see that it was absolutely assumed by Texas that A&M would never want to be anything more than Texas' little brother. A&M fans didn't like that, but they also seemed to believe that that's how things would play out ... until it didn't. They haven't played since. Everybody is talking at length about the loss of the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry from both Nebraska and Oklahoma's perspectives, but nobody has mentioned that A&M was perfectly willing to throw away the Texas rivalry for the money and a fresh start in the SEC. Oklahoma noticed. They had a better arrangement going with the Big 12 as long as Texas stayed, so they stayed. Oklahoma is NOT going to enter another new conference with any sort of arrangement that puts them at a competitive disadvantage with Texas. Texas might fit in the SEC, but I don't see them wanting to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle, and I can't see A&M fighting to get them in. A&M might have a more natural ally with Oklahoma that can naturally morph into a rivalry game.

The SEC invited Oklahoma the last time along with A&M and they declined and again stayed with Texas. They were willing to go to the Pac 12.

Correct. It’s all about the TV money and the TV money is all about the TV markets. Nebraska for example brings value not because of the modest local market but because the Huskers have a loyal national following. Notre Dame is similar in that they have a huge national following but they also own the Chicago market. Any program added to the B1G would have to bring TV viewers or they wouldn’t be invited. Oklahoma would meet that criterium in that they bring the OK markets and the Dallas area as well as their national following. But Oklahoma isn’t going anywhere without OK State. The state politicians will never allow it. I think it’s more likely that Texas and Oklahoma flex the muscles and get what they want from their TV partners than they leave the B12, but anything is possible I guess.
I’m not sure where everyone has gotten the idea OU would have to drag osu wherever we went. If Texas A&M can leave the Longhorns then Oklahoma can leave aggie lite.

That state legislature has made it clear it won’t happen. As I said, anything is possible. But that’s what they have said. State lawmakers have a ton of influence over such decisions.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back