• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Okay....now JoePa is Really Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Did you take a peak at the grand jury testimony?

Yes. And from that report it isn't clear what Joe Paterno "knew." His testimony was different than that of Mcqueary's. We also do not know the full sequence of events surrounding those who received the report. Could Paterno have done more? It seems so. But why didn't those who were supposed to do something do it? Etc., etc.

I'm not particularly a Joe Paterno fan. But I am a fan of due process.

This is disgusting. Comparing Paterno with OBL and Saddam. Having spent a year fighting for my life in western Iraq, I take great offense. Paterno was not a perfect man. Neither am I. Karma is a SOB. Let he pay you a visit.

I didn't compare the three, I characterized my feelings at the time of 3 separate passings. I felt elation when OBL and SH died, I feel a tinge of sympathy for Paterno's family but nothing really for him. All three of them supported and protected evil in their lives in a deliberate and systemic manner.

Read what I actually said before you fly off the handle.

Oh and I've spent my time in Iraq and Afghanistan myself.

Last edited:

Yes. And from that report it isn't clear what Joe Paterno "knew." His testimony was different than that of Mcqueary's. We also do not know the full sequence of events surrounding those who received the report. Could Paterno have done more? It seems so. But why didn't those who were supposed to do something do it? Etc., etc.

I'm not particularly a Joe Paterno fan. But I am a fan of due process.

Here's another problem. Joe wasn't quite as sharp as he once was. What does he remember from 10 years ago and how has his memory been impacted since then? I'm not surprised that his recollection could be different from McQueary's.

Here's another problem. Joe wasn't quite as sharp as he once was. What does he remember from 10 years ago and how has his memory been impacted since then? I'm not surprised that his recollection could be different from McQueary's.

That's a definite possibility. Would you think something like this- if you comprehended it- would stick in your memory? The whole thing doesn't make sense, which is why I believe we don't have all the facts and probably never will.

Last edited:

In looking at the wide array of responses in this thread, JoePa must be like Howard Cosell....you either love him or hate him.

I didn't love him or hate him, but to wish death and hell on someone is hard to get. There are apparently many wounded souls in need of healing. JoePa evidently isn't the only one to add to my prayer list from his death, but I am up for the challenge. Humans are walking mistake machines, full of conflict, self-interest, pain, and love, each motivated differently, each seeing only a tiny sliver of the ripples we create. This thread at minimum makes me thankful for a wife of 30 years who has over-looked and forgiven so much. There is peace and forgiveness for anyone who wants it, and I am personally comforted by the message of the prodigal son.

Had this story not come out I would wish him godspeed and in a way still do, but my daughter is 7 years old and I can't help but think about how I would feel or how I would think should his death transpire so shortly after the stories coming to light. I honestly can't say that I would feel sorry for him, but I can still acknowledge the loss of life and for that it is sad. IF it were MY child that he clammed up about......well, lets just say I don't want a vacation and leave it at that.

I have all the facts I need per what has been released. Remember we are talking about my standards of judgement right? I am not clairvoyant nor do I have magic crystals. What I do have is a good grasp of facts as reported. If those two things are too harsh for you then maybe you can not read what I post.

The reaction from State College

Outpouring of grief at Penn State after death of legendary coach

Penn State students and alumni held a candlelight vigil late Sunday to honor and remember Joe Paterno, the iconic former football coach.

Students braved freezing temperatures to attend the vigil on the lawn of the Old Main building on Penn State's campus. They held candles, locked arms, and sung the school's alma mater to say goodbye.
Later, they walked over to a statue of Paterno outside Beaver Stadium, which has become a sort of makeshift memorial.

"He's more than a coach; his family's more than a family," said Bethanna Edmiston, a local resident and alumna who met her husband at Penn State.
"It's extremely difficult for the whole Nittany nation," she said. "Unless you're part of Penn State, you just don't understand what it means."
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/22/us/penn-state-paterno/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

My thoughts and prayers have been with the Paterno family and Penn St. fans everywhere this weekend. RIP, JoePa.

I didn't love him or hate him, but to wish death and hell on someone is hard to get. There are apparently many wounded souls in need of healing. JoePa evidently isn't the only one to add to my prayer list from his death, but I am up for the challenge. Humans are walking mistake machines, full of conflict, self-interest, pain, and love, each motivated differently, each seeing only a tiny sliver of the ripples we create. This thread at minimum makes me thankful for a wife of 30 years who has over-looked and forgiven so much. There is peace and forgiveness for anyone who wants it, and I am personally comforted by the message of the prodigal son.

I may not share in your deep religious conviction, but I applaud the content of your message. I am neither a supporter nor a hater of Joe Paterno, but feel sadness at his passing, especially under the circumstances. My sadness extends to his family and friends, as well as to the victims of the crimes Sandusky allegedly committed.

I feel that some of the anger and vitriol I've seen here, and elsewhere, is misdirected. What Sandusky is alleged to have done is despicable, but what Paterno did, or didn't do, about it is merely regretable and unforgivable. I don't know what he knew, and what his motives were, but what he did, or did not do, does not compare to Sandusky.

Whether Paterno was affected by stupidity, confusion, a lack of comprehension regarding the gravity of the matter, a dearth of actual information about what happened, an old-school good-old-boy mentality, or a self-preservation mindset, he at least did something. He informed his superiors of what he was told. His failure, then, was in not following-up on the matter. And that is something that is unforgivable for a man in his powerful position, but, in my opinion, to condemn him to death or hell is entirely too harsh.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about this, but my thoughts are as follows: For religious people, I would think they wouldn't want to spew hateful, unforgiving sentiments toward, or about, Paterno, but would rather put their minds at ease with the belief that he will be judged by someone who truly knows what his actions and motives were. For those who aren't religious, I think it would be comforting to know (1) that Sandusky has been stopped, (2) that this situation has brought a horrible crime to the forefront for discussion and awareness, and (3) that because of this discussion and awareness, people who may have enabled this type of crime in the past will not do so in the future.

I may not share in your deep religious conviction, but I applaud the content of your message. I am neither a supporter nor a hater of Joe Paterno, but feel sadness at his passing, especially under the circumstances. My sadness extends to his family and friends, as well as to the victims of the crimes Sandusky allegedly committed.

I feel that some of the anger and vitriol I've seen here, and elsewhere, is misdirected. What Sandusky is alleged to have done is despicable, but what Paterno did, or didn't do, about it is merely regretable and unforgivable. I don't know what he knew, and what his motives were, but what he did, or did not do, does not compare to Sandusky.

Whether Paterno was affected by stupidity, confusion, a lack of comprehension regarding the gravity of the matter, a dearth of actual information about what happened, an old-school good-old-boy mentality, or a self-preservation mindset, he at least did something. He informed his superiors of what he was told. His failure, then, was in not following-up on the matter. And that is something that is unforgivable for a man in his powerful position, but, in my opinion, to condemn him to death or hell is entirely too harsh.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about this, but my thoughts are as follows: For religious people, I would think they wouldn't want to spew hateful, unforgiving sentiments toward, or about, Paterno, but would rather put their minds at ease with the belief that he will be judged by someone who truly knows what his actions and motives were. For those who aren't religious, I think it would be comforting to know (1) that Sandusky has been stopped, (2) that this situation has brought a horrible crime to the forefront for discussion and awareness, and (3) that because of this discussion and awareness, people who may have enabled this type of crime in the past will not do so in the future.

Very well said, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back