• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ohio State with two Big Decommits this past week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m waiting to see if a trend goes to schools with BIG NIL programs…

I mean let’s face it. If you don’t think kids and families are paying attention to that aspect then I think we’re all naïve.

I do think Nebraska has made some good strides in this area and that we WILL be competitive In this area.

The bad news is I’m just not sure how we can compete with the abuses that will absolutely happen. Texas A&M players getting $10,000 an “interview” with a website company. An Alabama quarterback who really hasn’t done….anything…With close to $1 million in NIL money. Miami University boosters doing “Miami booster stuff” only this time it’s legal…lol.

There WILL BE teams this year that have lots of dissention between the haves and have nots on the same team.

The amateurism kept the focus on the team and goals and success. When kids have something else to focus on.... they will. Youre gonna see some real good teams falter due to the greed of GETTIN THEIRS

I have a bad feeling Nebraska will not win the NIL battle. We may not be a loser but there's no way they compete with the soft money that's going to be floated. Whatever the motivation was behind NIL (in the interest of the student athlete....please) its going to absolutely destroy college football as we've known it.

I have a bad feeling Nebraska will not win the NIL battle. We may not be a loser but there's no way they compete with the soft money that's going to be floated. Whatever the motivation was behind NIL (in the interest of the student athlete....please) its going to absolutely destroy college football as we've known it.
Seems almost everything has been destroyed as we know it in sports. Professional sports have gone political and boring. Baseball only has well nothing going for it. Basketball is like watching a dunking contest. Football is now touch football and women want to act like men.

Baseball only has well nothing going for it.
You know, I disagree about baseball.

Out of all the sports..l it seems to have weathered all of this change.

And while it has been surpassed by football as “America’s sport”…

Out of all of the sports, it has remained mostly the same I think. A fairly slow, easily watched (or not) outside family venue with history and tradition. No one really is hesitant about taking the family to an MLB game. Far different from an NFL game.

A fun, family day at the ballpark remains…. Watch the game, get a hot dog, peanuts or beer, relax, catch up with friends and at the same time admire the absolute bursts of incredible athleticism and drama…mixed into a slower paced game.

And baseball has always had the absolute outlandish contracts and big money so I think Americans are just kind of used to that angle…

No…it’s actually comforting, at least to me, that Baseball is still basically the same.

I am apologizing in advance if this is going to derail the thread but feel it is still in the same context of players decommitting and johnrr6's post.........How many of you think that players may not accept scholarships, but will still go to some place like Alabama or Miami knowing even though they will not be put on scholarship and as walk-on's; that NIL is still going to cover what they would be getting for a scholarship? My only thinking of that as a deterrent is depth and lack of playing time.

When Miami resurrected their program in the late 90's early 2000's, they did it by awarding track scholarships to football players.

Out of all of the sports, it has remained mostly the same I think. A fairly slow, easily watched (or not) outside family venue with history and tradition. No one really is hesitant about taking the family to an MLB game. Far different from an NFL game.

A fun, family day at the ballpark remains…. Watch the game, get a hot dog, peanuts or beer, relax, catch up with friends and at the same time admire the absolute bursts of incredible athleticism and drama…mixed into a slower paced game.

And baseball has always had the absolute outlandish contracts and big money so I think Americans are just kind of used to that angle…

No…it’s actually comforting, at least to me, that Baseball is still basically the same.
Baseball is the least popular sport with people under forty. The NBA actually is the most popular with young people. I took my kids to a royals game a couple years ago. It’s drastically changed. $90 for a parking pass used to be $10 when I was a kid. $15 beers, $8 hotdogs. It’s changed and it kinda sucks. My dad could take me and my sister to a ball game for under fifty dollars. I spent over $200.00

Last edited:
Ive gotta think that there will be less portal movement by kids who are benefitting from NIL. Asking followers to switch teams with you, just looks like a money grab.

It is way too expensive to go to a MLB game. AAA Stormchasers are ok but the prices there are a bit high also...

I spent over $200.00
Wow…

But that was your entire family right? If I take my wife out to a nice dinner and movie…we can get close to $200 real easy nowadays. As scary as that is. (Course that was before this stupid Pandemic…haven’t been to a movie in ages…)

I go to Baltimore Orioles games all the time…and Nationals games.
I take the Train up to Baltimore or DC

An Oriole Ticket (because they suck right now) costs me about $25…and that is a good seat…

Nats tickets are double that for a good seat.

Train cost me less than $100 round trip and I stay at my sons house or my brothers in DC.

was looking at Nebraska tickets for the Fall. Might try to come back for a game and stay with my sister

A good seat for one person was around $200 on Stub Hub.

And you’re right…hot dogs and beer are way overpriced at ALL venues.

Not sure about NBA being so popular with younger folks. Their ratings have plummeted from the Michael Jordan days. And the kids I know (including my own) say they haven’t been to or watched a game in years.

All in the eye of the beholder I guess.

The esports and video gaming industry grows leaps and bounds with the younger kids though….no denying it.

Cheaper, requires no real physical effort, little risk, not time or place bound or dependent on weather.

And the MONEY they are giving away at those tournaments!!

Absolutely rivals big golf and tennis.

Blows me away at the money…

Baseball is the least popular sport with people under forty. The NBA actually is the most popular with young people. I took my kids to a royals game a couple years ago. It’s drastically changed. $90 for a parking pass used to be $10 when I was a kid. $15 beers, $8 hotdogs. It’s changed and it kinda sucks. My dad could take me and my sister to a ball game for under fifty dollars. I spent over $200.00
$90 for a parking pass? Where did you park…in the player’s parking lot?

My wife and I have gone several times this year and have paid less than $30 for reserved parking each time.

We don’t eat at the stadium and since we don’t drink…we each get a free small soda each game by signing up for the designated driver program.
We only pay for the ticket and parking pass. That is why we can go to some extra games.

Going as a family to one game a year could be pricey when you factor in all of the food and cotton candy etc…for the total game experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back