• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ohio State website states "Nebraska could be biggest threat to Big Ten title reign for Ohio State"

I can see where the optimists look at the schedule and say that. Heck even my uncle is saying 12-0 reg season.

HOWEVER, the fact remains that we are coming off two 4-8 campaigns. We have yet to demonstrate the kind of Line play (OL and DL) that can consistently win games, especially vs. Wisky, NW, and Iowa. Heck, we can't even take Indiana or Purdue lightly. Our ST's were a disaster last year. Our defense was lacking in takeaways.

So A LOT of development needs to happen for DONU to be playing for the West championship vs. Iowa the last weekend of the year. It could happen. But to expect 10 wins next year is setting yourself up for disappointment. SF knew this was a long rebuilding process. That's why he wanted a 7-yr contract.

I will be happy with 6 wins and a bowl game this year. I think they could realistically get 8 wins.

9+ wins and I think SF is looking a coach of the year honors.

Don't mean to splash cold water on anyones optimism. But...
I believe we have superior coaching and the best QB in the BIG. Yes we have pieces that need to come together but so does every team in our division. Even with all the missing pieces we could have won every game last season but Michigan imo.

Our schedule is extremely favorable versus last season which is a huge plus. Assuming no major injuries we're not going to lose to either Indiana or Purdue. Wisky has a very rough schedule and who knows how their new QB is going to work out. I honestly believe IF we beat OSU (very possible) we'll be well on our way to winning the West. Frost has already said he wants to win NOW meaning this coming season. We're also not going to need 10 wins to get to the CCG imo. Only thing that matters is beating BIG teams not our OOC. schedule.

I simply have a lot of faith that a SF led team is going to surprise some people. Obviously even the talking heads agree since we're been rated top 20 or higher in pre-season. I'm not in the least bit concerned about our offense as that will come together quickly. Defense needs to step up and our new starters play well. I simply don't believe we lost much with the defensive players that left! We had one of the worst run defenses in the conference so I believe the trend will be up, not down this season.

Bottom line I'll bet dollars to donuts we'll win at least 9 games... Hopefully that will be enough to win our division........

Personally, I think we could win 9 regular season games next year but am expecting 7 as the most realistic. For 17 years I have been pumped for a new season, only to be left disappointed in all of them-from a total letdown to feelings of what might have been. In every one of those season there were multiple fans that were convinced that that this was the year. I am done discounting teams based on their name and our past. Purdue beat us by 14 at our home last year and I bet most are chalking this up as a win. Colorado beat us at home and we go out there. I think we will be a better team next year and found something late in the season but don’t discount the improved play by Minnesota, the same excitement at Purdue, and the confidence that Iowa and Wisconsin will have when they strap it on next year. Add to the fact that NW has a 5 star transfer QB from Clemson and the Badgers recruited what might be the best QB they have ever brought on campus, we would be foolish to think there isn’t improvement throughout our division. We see our improvement play out in front of our eyes last year but continue to measure our competition based on their name and in many cases their past-we discount or don’t as closely follow what is going on with the competition. Once again, I haven’t seen anyone really concerned about Purdue but they bring back what might be one of the best coaches in the conference and definitely one of the most exciting players in the conference and they beat us by 14 at home. In my heart I believe we will be better but not a ten win season yet.

FWIW, I think not having Urban on the sidelines is the biggest obstacle.
I think that it will hurt more down the road because it was already clear by the previously committed players who went elsewhere that you don't just replace Urban's recruiting ability. Ditto for Schiano. Besides recruiting, the coaching changes that are most going to affect OSU are where their new focus and biases will lie. On the offensive side, Urban Meyer was a spread-to-run OC before he was ever a head coach, and everywhere he went, that was the offense that he ran ... until last year. OSU wasn't as effective running the ball between the tackles last year, and they threw the ball more than ever before. They destroyed Michigan. What's the problem, right? They lost 4 of the 5 O-line starters from that Michigan game, and a couple missed large chunks of the season ... when they couldn't run the ball very effectively. Now take out Urban as head coach, Day has said that he's going to call the offensive plays, Kevin Wilson--who never met a down-and-distance that wasn't perfect for a pass--is the OC, and they brought in Oklahoma State's OC to work with the QBs and be the Passing Game Coordinator. If you look at their coaches' profiles, you'll notice that there is no "Running Game Coordinator." The RBs Coach has been given what seems to be the meaningless title of "Assistant Head Coach for Offense," which means ... what? They've got a good O-line coach, but who's going to be the commanding voice--a la Urban Meyer--that is advocating for more focus and emphasis on the running game? OSU is going to be a pass-first team until something changes with this staff. Add in the loss of Mike Weber to the NFL, and now they have one year left with JD Dobbins (who is a great RB) to elide over the fact that their O-line will not be as good, especially running the ball.

The defensive coaching changes may be even more interesting. I don't know that the coaches who remain fully soaked in why/how they struggled against the spread-to-run offenses of Nebraska and Maryland, or how Purdue's use of Robinson in a spread system similarly stretched them too much. They pushed Schiano out, and I think that he was the one guy who had the big-picture view to see where their weaknesses were, and what needed to be done. Day poached 2 defensive coaches from Michigan, which is extremely odd considering that they just torched the Michigan defense. Put those pieces together, and I don't know how it's going to look, but if you're going to run a 4-man front against Nebraska's offense, you want at least 3 of those guys to be future NFL D-linemen, and you need LBs who can fly. Ohio State lost some of that.

Fwiw, all of the above bodes well for Nebraska matching up against every aspect of Ohio State, even including special teams. Remember that punt block by Ohio State? Schiano recognized the weakness in the Nebraska protection and drew up the overload scheme that they used to do that. He's gone. (Thank you, Ryan Day.) If our special teams played better that day, we would have won that game. I do not believe that they'll be as good this fall except for in those positions where they return a lot of starters (defensive secondary, for example), and the coaching staff will need to settle into a new identity (pass-first offense), which I don't think fits with OSU's historical identity in any way. I think that it's going to be a very, very long year for Ryan Day.

Assuming no major injuries we're not going to lose to either Indiana or Purdue.

I think that those are two teams with talent that are better than average and could rise up and beat anyone in the B1G on any given weekend. Purdue will be better than last year, with another year in the system and another year of better recruits coming up. Indiana took both Michigan and Ohio State to the wire last year. They have a lot back, but they lack depth. Why do you think that these are automatic wins for us?

We're also not going to need 10 wins to get to the CCG imo.

I agree. If anyone in the West finishes with <=2 B1G losses, they'll win the division outright, but I think that it's more likely that there will be a logjam of teams with 3 to 4 B1G losses in the West.

I am done discounting teams based on their name and our past. Purdue beat us by 14 at our home last year and I bet most are chalking this up as a win. Colorado beat us at home and we go out there. I think we will be a better team next year and found something late in the season but don’t discount the improved play by Minnesota, the same excitement at Purdue, and the confidence that Iowa and Wisconsin will have when they strap it on next year. Add to the fact that NW has a 5 star transfer QB from Clemson and the Badgers recruited what might be the best QB they have ever brought on campus, we would be foolish to think there isn’t improvement throughout our division. We see our improvement play out in front of our eyes last year but continue to measure our competition based on their name and in many cases their past-we discount or don’t as closely follow what is going on with the competition. Once again, I haven’t seen anyone really concerned about Purdue but they bring back what might be one of the best coaches in the conference and definitely one of the most exciting players in the conference and they beat us by 14 at home. In my heart I believe we will be better but not a ten win season yet.
These are the wisest words in this thread. I 100% agree.

Last edited:

Nebraska will match up very, very well with OSU this year. Apart from key injuries (QB, RB, LB), I believe that we'll win that game.

I also think that we'll finish around 9-3 if we do beat OSU, 8-4 if we don't. It's all about matchups, injuries, scheduling, and focus. We're going to lose at least one game to someone right now that the majority of you are counting as a lock: Illinois, Indiana, or Maryland. If Minnesota finds a QB who can throw 55% completions with minimal turnovers, they will go down to the wire fighting for the B1G West. Purdue will be better than they were last year. Northwestern will be worse, but until they start losing close games, it's insane to assume that we beat them. Iowa has the most returning starters in the West, the best O-line, the best D-lineman, and solid talent and depth all over their defense. If Stanley doesn't do stupid things, Iowa should win the B1G West. Wisconsin has too tough of a schedule, but they will still pose matchup problems for Nebraska's defense.

Who says that Ohio State didn't play well against us? Based on what? Urban Meyer wasn't upset after the game. None of the coaches were upset after the game. None of their players were upset after the game. They felt like they had finally gotten their running game turned around as well as their Red Zone offense, and they were pleased. It was only the OSU fans and the talking heads who thought that OSU played poorly. It's all about matchups, people! Maryland matched up better against OSU than Michigan did. Wrap your minds around that. I don't buy that OSU wasn't taking Maryland seriously. Go back and rewatch both of those games, and you'll see one team (Maryland) had a spread-to-run offense with talented RBs that gave OSU fits, and the other had a double-TE look with RBs who lacked the ability to break big plays against OSU on the ground. Play-action is worthless when the running game isn't working.

No, that's not exactly true. OSU was a passing team for much of the first half of the season last year, but a lot of that was due to a failure to execute their run blocking. They had (supposedly) made the establishment of the running game a priority going into Purdue, but things didn't exactly turn out that way. They wanted to be able to do both against Nebraska, but they still struggled. Haskins was never the same in that game after Domann lowered the boom on him, but their RBs did eventually get going, but with a little help down the stretch from some poor tackling by tired defenders on our side.

OSU did what they came into the game planning to do, except that it didn't work as well as they had hoped, and they weren't stopping our offense. Also, we forced more turnovers than they'd given up before. OSU had been missing some starting O-linemen, whom they didn't get back until just before the Michigan game. We didn't play the same OSU team that Michigan played, though it was a lot better than the one that we'll play this year.

Yes, Urban said it after the game, but you're misinterpreting what he was intending by it. You can go to Lettermen Row and watch Urban's pre-game interview the week before the game--he's filled with praises, and he accurately predicted that there would be some issues with scheme--and you can watch the interviews after the game. Urban Meyer stressed throughout that Nebraska had solid schemes on both sides of the ball, that Ohio State was going to have to work to run the ball against the Nebraska defense, and that Nebraska's record wasn't an accurate depiction of either the quality of the team or the coaching. Urban has said nothing but praise about what Frost has done, and where the program is headed. He wasn't in the least looking past us.

When/if they looked out of sorts, it was because we were giving them looks on defense that they were having a very difficult time unraveling, and offensively we were consistently putting defenders in a bind where the guy being read would be wrong no matter what he chose to do. That's scheme, and we have the ability to do that to anybody as long as our O-line isn't completely overmatched.

Playing poorly is probably too strong of a word, how about saying they were not as focused as they could be.

Defensively they didn’t play real focused.

Nebraska played very well though and I do agree it is about match ups.

I think going forward Nebraska should be able to score some points on most teams. They just need to be able to stop teams

Defensively they didn’t play real focused.
If that was the case, why didn't that come out in any of the numerous interviews with the coaches and players both immediately after the game and in the week that followed?

You're selling the Nebraska offense short. The key to shutting down the Nebraska offense last year was to dominate our O-line. By that point in the season, and with the help of a little scheming, OSU didn't do that for the most part. We matched up well against their skill positions until (ironically) the starting Safety was ejected for targeting, and his replacement (Brendon White) did an exponentially better job of reading and reacting to our short passing game.

Watch the film again. Listen to the coaches and players on the sidelines. (They had TV cameras right in the huddles with them.) Watch that and tell me that those guys weren't focused. Going into that game the popular opinion on this site and with all of the pundits was that Urban is just unstoppable after a loss, and they had two weeks to prepare, and his teams always take it out on their next opponent, and ... blah, blah, blah. It blows my mind that some of the same people who think that we're going to tear through our schedule this year can't grasp the fact that we went toe-to-toe with a p'd off Urban Meyer-coached OSU Buckeye team in Columbus, and we would have won the game if we had just had average play from our special teams. We matched up that well. So did Maryland. OSU didn't suddenly discover a magical potion to whip Michigan. They just matched up a lot better against them.

It's like the game of Rock-Paper-Scissors. OSU's defense was built to rock Harbaugh's offense, and ditto for the matchups on the other side of the ball. Meanwhile, our offense and defense are close to ideal for attacking OSU. Unfortunately, Michigan's offense and defense were ideal for de-pantsing us and giving us the paddle. Michigan has changed their offense now, so we'll see how that shakes things up, and OSU is likely going to lean harder into the passing game. We beef up our line, stay healthy, and get some depth, and we can match up with these guys. The problem is that we can also be beat by Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Iowa, too.

Last edited:
If that was the case, why didn't that come out in any of the numerous interviews with the coaches and players both immediately after the game and in the week that followed?

You're selling the Nebraska offense short. The key to shutting down the Nebraska offense last year was to dominate our O-line. By that point in the season, and with the help of a little scheming, OSU didn't do that for the most part. We matched up well against their skill positions until (ironically) the starting Safety was ejected for targeting, and his replacement (Brendon White) did an exponentially better job of reading and reacting to our short passing game.

Watch the film again. Listen to the coaches and players on the sidelines. (They had TV cameras right in the huddles with them.) Watch that and tell me that those guys weren't focused. Going into that game the popular opinion on this site and with all of the pundits was that Urban is just unstoppable after a loss, and they had two weeks to prepare, and his teams always take it out on their next opponent, and ... blah, blah, blah. It blows my mind that some of the same people who think that we're going to tear through our schedule this year can't grasp the fact that we went toe-to-toe with a p'd off Urban Meyer-coached OSU Buckeye team in Columbus, and we would have won the game if we had just had average play from our special teams. We matched up that well. So did Maryland. OSU didn't suddenly discover a magical potion to whip Michigan. They just matched up a lot better against them.

It's like the game of Rock-Paper-Scissors. OSU's defense was built to rock Harbaugh's offense, and ditto for the matchups on the other side of the ball. Meanwhile, our offense and defense are close to ideal for attacking OSU. Unfortunately, Michigan's offense and defense were ideal for de-pantsing us and giving us the paddle. Michigan has changed their offense now, so we'll see how that shakes things up, and OSU is likely going to lean harder into the passing game. We beef up our line, stay healthy, and get some depth, and we can match up with these guys. The problem is that we can also be beat by Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Iowa, too.

MABC I am not going to argue with you about this. If you truly believe OSU brought their A game from start to finish in this game good.

If you truly think they played with the same intensity that they did against Michigan and it was all just scheme that is great for Nebraska.

I am not selling Nebraska short they played well and gave everything. I am just saying Nebraska got the B+ game.

MABC I am not going to argue with you about this.
Okay, so ... let's just disagree and state in print why we disagree and call it something else besides "arguing" because that's important for some reason. We clearly disagree, and that's fine. I'm showing you enough respect to ask you to show me evidence for why you believe what you believe. You're giving me this....

I am not selling Nebraska short they played well and gave everything. I am just saying Nebraska got the B+ game.

That would be stating the same opinion, again, with nothing new to support it. I'm persuadable, I promise. Show me something on film. Show me coaches or players complaining about a lack of focus. Give me something to show me that this is more than just a gut reaction to being surprised that the game was close.

If you truly believe OSU brought their A game from start to finish in this game good.

If you truly think they played with the same intensity that they did against Michigan and it was all just scheme that is great for Nebraska.

They weren't perfect, if that's what you think I'm saying. I'm saying that they spent time on Nebraska's film, had a plan based on it, and did their best to execute it. When your DC is spending time going over special teams film to attack a weakness, that's NOT taking someone for granted. I'm not sure how I'd be able to check, but I'd guess that most DCs don't look at film of opponents' special teams as the assistants pre-load everything for them.

Ohio State was missing O-linemen who were injured, but who were back for Michigan. That mattered a lot, but that was the same situation that they'd had against Purdue, Maryland, and others.

Coach, lets just look at Indiana in answer to your question why I believe Nebraska will beat Indy. Last season Indy lost to MSU, Michigan, OSU and IA by a combined total of 74 points while Nebraska lost by a combinded total of 51 points! However of those 51 total points 46 of them came in a SINGLE game against Michigan. That was with an injured AM who didn't play a lot of that game. If the 46 lost points are factored down to say a 10 point loss Nebraska average loss to those combined teams would be apron 4 points per game! Indy average loss to those same teams was 18.5 per game!

Do you believe we're going to get boat raced in 2019 like we did against Michigan last year? Indy lost 6 of 7 games to end their season while Nebraska obviously was obviously improving imo. Nebraska had a decent chance to win every game after Michigan and Wisky which wasn't so with Indy. I honestly believe Nebraska is clearly a better team than Indy and baring catastrophe injuries will beat them.

Obviously any team can be beaten on a given day but I believe Nebraska is clearly a better team then Indy..

Attachments

• purdue.jpg
    purdue.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back