• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ohio State website states "Nebraska could be biggest threat to Big Ten title reign for Ohio State"

I believe it's absolutely stunning how quickly SF has things turned around. Obviously we're not where we want to be yet but MANY people acknowledge there's trouble brewing in Lincoln. When was the last time Nebraska was put almost on par with an Ohio State? Folks that should be ringing the alarm bell is every team in our division. Was ANYONE thinking UCF had any chance to go 12-0 Frosts 2nd year? I'm not suggesting we're going undefeated but we certainly have an excellent chance at winning our division imo.

We can be absolutly certain SF has his goals set on getting to and winning the CCG! Anything less isn't in SF's DNA. Nebraska won't be sneaking up on teams this season! IMO we have one of top 5 or 6 QB's in the nation who could well lead us to a special season.

^^^. This.

I don't understand people predicting 6-7 wins in 2019. What schedule are you looking at?

To me, anything short of a B1G west title is a disappointment (this year). Yes I know what we've lost, and that the D and both lines need to prove themselves. But we're on the same footing as everyone else in the west.

Now, when you get up into the CCG, having to beat the big boys, playoff talk, etc. -- that's a different story. It's one thing to knock off a top 10 team in one game, but to win consistently when the target is on your back takes a whole new level of excellence.

They certainly could have looked past us. They had beaten us by a combined 118-17 the previous two years, we were 2-10 in our last 12 games, and Michigan had slaughtered us 56-10 just a few weeks earlier. At that point we didn't exactly look like a challenge to them.

So why did Urban say (BEFORE the game), "that's a 2-win team that nobody wants to play right now"?

Disagree but that's what makes the world go around. If you don't see the tremoudous progress Frost has made in the past 18 months then you aren't looking imo. There is a total sea change imo but I suppose if your only standard is W-L's the first year so be it. There was significant progress last season and it showed the last half of the season.

We got ZERO respect from any media under MR and that's completely different now. Of course the team needs to starting winning 9 to 10 games a season doubt anyone is debating it. For me the glass is more then half full and we'll start seeing this coming season.

You apparently see almost nothing but hype where I see a very different program now. Don't believe the article was a slap in the face to Michigan but simply pointing out OSU (with new coach) is in for a dog fight in Lincoln. Just have to see how it all plays out but I'm willing to bet we start conference play at 4-0!

Going to be a very interesting season to say the least...........

We only have to convince Luginbill and Pollack...

I'd agree with them. Lost by 5 on the road to them last year. Not a leap to think we're closer to their level than we might have imagined.

Last edited:

So why did Urban say (BEFORE the game), "that's a 2-win team that nobody wants to play right now"?
Exactly what he said.. and he wasn't just blowing smoke imo. Down the stretch Huskers played very well and things could have easy broken in our favor. No team after mid season was able to put anything CLOSE to beatdown on Nebraska.

I honestly don't believe it's KOOL-AID to think we can have a 8, 9 or even 10 win season! Sure certain things need to fall into place but the same can be said of every team in our division. I have a lot of faith that SF and his coaching staff will get it done............

This time last year I said (several times) I would be happy with 6-6 and a bowl victory. Nearly everyone thought I was too pessimistic. This year, I would not be happy with less than 8-4. The schedule alone is worth 2 games better than last year, and the hoped for improvement should be worth another 2.

I don't disagree but have learned that lower expectations with greater results = better feelings going forward.

First, I'm with the poster who dies with every Husker loss.

Second, I'm with ***, love these off season threads, LOL.

But really folks, it all boils done to these simple things:

a. No draft picks from the 2018 team, so we start from humble beginnings.
b. Just how much talent will the 2019 freshman class bring to the Huskers and how fast can it manifest it self on the field? And if you think I know the answer to this question you're wrong :).
c. How much player development did the S&C program provide our current players from November to September, which is not all that long? And no I don't know this one either!

I do THINK that the answers to b and c will be displayed in the first four games of the season. After those games the 6 game prognosticators versus the 10 game winners will know who had the "Great Carnack" hat on this spring.

All the best, John

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^. This.

I don't understand people predicting 6-7 wins in 2019. What schedule are you looking at?

To me, anything short of a B1G west title is a disappointment (this year). Yes I know what we've lost, and that the D and both lines need to prove themselves. But we're on the same footing as everyone else in the west.

Now, when you get up into the CCG, having to beat the big boys, playoff talk, etc. -- that's a different story. It's one thing to knock off a top 10 team in one game, but to win consistently when the target is on your back takes a whole new level of excellence.

Why are people predicting 6-7 wins?

This

Yes I know what we've lost, and that the D and both lines need to prove themselves.

That doesn’t mean we think Nebraska sucks, but we lost some key pieces off a 4-8 team, have a ton of youth that will have to play major roles and have an O line that looks like it will take a while to gel. 7 wins won’t be a failure.

They certainly could have looked past us. They had beaten us by a combined 118-17 the previous two years, we were 2-10 in our last 12 games, and Michigan had slaughtered us 56-10 just a few weeks earlier. At that point we didn't exactly look like a challenge to them.
That was my thoughts exactly. I went into the game thinking we would be drilled, maybe as pleased as I have ever been with a loss, and have to admit was pretty buzzed while I was sitting on the edge of my couch for the end of the game. When I watched it again, it appeared OSU went very conservative the entire game and really never stressed our defense. They have a habit of games like this-Purdue, Iowa the year before, Virginia Tech one year. Then they turn around and blow out Michigan and you wonder where that team has been all year. Re watching the game took a bit of the pleasure out of it but still was proud of how we played.

Did you actually read the article? He talked about the complexity of the offense that put up a lot of points last year. He talked about a dynamic QB. Lastly he talked about an improving by the end of the year. All of that is true. Teams often show improving stats before the wins add up. Sabans first season at Bama was 3-10 and 5 of those got vacated. So the official record was 2-6. I could name a lot more but the point is. First season records mean very little. The question is was their improvement in play. MANY people with no skin in the NE game nationally. Have said they believe they saw NE get better throughout the season. I agree.
Nick Saban had a winning record his first season at Alabama-he went 7-6. Yes, there were wins that were later vacated but I don't understand what that has to do with us. I might not be following your point. Saban inherited a mess and you could see where he had the program headed after his first year and it was much better than Scott's. With that being said, I sense the same progress being made at Nebraska but could only dream of coming close to the upward trajectory that Saban had.

I thought Nebraska played very well against OSU, I thought OSU looked out of sorts kind of like they didn't want to be there when we played, so not really sure how to interpret that game. I think Nebraska has the needle moving in the right direction and I think OSU is either going to be stagnate or regress this season a bit so I can see how people think we have a shot against OSU, and if we win I would call it a 'mild' upset. I guess we will see.

Nick Saban had a winning record his first season at Alabama-he went 7-6. Yes, there were wins that were later vacated but I don't understand what that has to do with us. I might not be following your point. Saban inherited a mess and you could see where he had the program headed after his first year and it was much better than Scott's. With that being said, I sense the same progress being made at Nebraska but could only dream of coming close to the upward trajectory that Saban had.
His mess was not as big as ours. We have for all practical purposes turned over the whole roster in SF first two years.

Disagree but that's what makes the world go around. If you don't see the tremoudous progress Frost has made in the past 18 months then you aren't looking imo. There is a total sea change imo but I suppose if your only standard is W-L's the first year so be it. There was significant progress last season and it showed the last half of the season.

We got ZERO respect from any media under MR and that's completely different now. Of course the team needs to starting winning 9 to 10 games a season doubt anyone is debating it. For me the glass is more then half full and we'll start seeing this coming season.

You apparently see almost nothing but hype where I see a very different program now. Don't believe the article was a slap in the face to Michigan but simply pointing out OSU (with new coach) is in for a dog fight in Lincoln. Just have to see how it all plays out but I'm willing to bet we start conference play at 4-0!

Going to be a very interesting season to say the least...........

I think it will be an undefeated showdown in Lincoln on Sept 28. I think we will take tOSU to the wire, could upset them.

That's not exactly accurate regarding the team Saben inherited. The year prior to Saban they went 6-7 (06) and the year before that 10-2 (05)! They only lost to LSU ranked 5th and Auburn ranked 11th and finished the season ranked 8th. Hardly a bad football team compared to what SF inherited. Obviously there was a lot of talent on those Bama teams.

Lets see what happens this season before we really start comparing upward trajectory with what Saban did his first several years at Bama. Without question Saban is one of the best college coaches of all time but he's also been a HC for 23 years. Hardly a fair comparison with SF with only 3 years as a HC IMO............

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back