• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ohio State Game

NEBRASKA'S ATHLETIC DIRECTOR THINKS HIS TEAM IS BAD

Can't argue with how this looks.

Yup. Moos publicly complaining because OSU's crossover schedule includes ... us.

Sipple's article from the main page combined with the development of our players got me thinking...

It is quite possible Nebraska leaves Columbus with a W. Let's consider 2018 when Nebraska lost 31-36.

I contend Nebraska's defense will be better in 2020 than it was in 2018. Maybe our WRs too. RB? Ozigbo vs Mills?

Of course, it depends on which Martinez we see. It is reasonable to belive Frost will set him to run loose this year with McCaffrey waiting to come in should he get hurt. Last year (among other things), I think Martinez was encouraged to run less or an unknown injury prevented it and that took him out of his comfort zone. If 2018 brings a return to form for Martinez, but one with two years of experience, anything could happen. Sure, the Buckeyes reload every year, but they don't have Chase Young. They don't have Dobbins.

And btw, the kool aid is mighty fine and very sweet out here!

Last edited:
I'm sure most of the nation expects a blow out with Ohio State running all over the HUSKERS but I'll take the 21 & 1/2 points and let the chips fall where they may. The HUSKERS are long overdue for playing a complete game on both sides of the ball and while unlikely to happen, it is possible they could pull off an improbable huge upset right out of the gate.

Last edited:

Sipple's article from the main page combined with the development of our players got me thinking...

It is quite possible Nebraska leaves Columbus with a W. Let's consider 2018 when Nebraska lost 31-36.

I contend Nebraska's defense will be better in 2020 than it was in 2018. Maybe our WRs too. RB? Ozigbo vs Mills?

Of course, it depends on which Martinez we see. It is reasonable to belive Frost will set him to run loose this year with McCaffrey waiting to come in should he get hurt. Last year (among other things), I think Martinez was encouraged to run less or an unknown injury prevented it and that took him out of his comfort zone. If 2018 brings a return to form for Martinez, but one with two years of experience, anything could happen. Sure, the Buckeyes reload every year, but they don't have Chase Young. They don't have Dobbins.

And btw, the kool aid is mighty fine and very sweet out here!

If Martinez can be where we thought he'd be now based on what we saw his freshman season, then yes, we could make it interesting. He needs to be really, really, really good -- or else, forget about it. Because -- Justin Fields is elite. And to me, that's a huge difference between 2018 and 2020. Haskins was a great quarterback -- but he couldn't run at all. Very one-dimensional. Fields is a true stud dual-threat.

Another thing I remember from that 2018 game -- Ohio State looked very uninspired. As we recall, they were blown out by Purdue the game prior to Nebraska. It knocked them from #2 in the polls to #8 -- and even though they won out, that Purdue embarrassment prevented OSU from being in the playoff. OSU looked like a team thinking that just going through the motions against Nebraska would be good enough. Ultimately, it was -- but they nearly blew it with that attitude. There's no doubt OSU will be on a mission against Nebraska in game one, as the nation will be watching closely to see if they truly can contend with Bama and Clemson for the national title.

Anyhow, I can't totally discount an upset. Or at least Nebraska making it interesting. But I need to see evidence first that this team is vastly improved from the garbage we saw last season. An awful lot hinges on Martinez (though I wonder if he is struggling against OSU, would Frost be willing to pull the trigger and replace him with McCaffrey).

If Martinez can be where we thought he'd be now based on what we saw his freshman season, then yes, we could make it interesting. He needs to be really, really, really good -- or else, forget about it. Because -- Justin Fields is elite. And to me, that's a huge difference between 2018 and 2020. Haskins was a great quarterback -- but he couldn't run at all. Very one-dimensional. Fields is a true stud dual-threat.

Another thing I remember from that 2018 game -- Ohio State looked very uninspired. As we recall, they were blown out by Purdue the game prior to Nebraska. It knocked them from #2 in the polls to #8 -- and even though they won out, that Purdue embarrassment prevented OSU from being in the playoff. OSU looked like a team thinking that just going through the motions against Nebraska would be good enough. Ultimately, it was -- but they nearly blew it with that attitude. There's no doubt OSU will be on a mission against Nebraska in game one, as the nation will be watching closely to see if they truly can contend with Bama and Clemson for the national title.

Anyhow, I can't totally discount an upset. Or at least Nebraska making it interesting. But I need to see evidence first that this team is vastly improved from the garbage we saw last season. An awful lot hinges on Martinez (though I wonder if he is struggling against OSU, would Frost be willing to pull the trigger and replace him with McCaffrey).
What is it with Quarterbacks that coaches are so scared to pull them? I recall Osborne pulling Dave Humm more than once. I believe the Fiesta Bowl as one. The Tagge/Brownson era as well

What is it with Quarterbacks that coaches are so scared to pull them? I recall Osborne pulling Dave Humm more than once. I believe the Fiesta Bowl as one. The Tagge/Brownson era as well
I think the reason they are scared to pull them is they are starting the guy that is the best and they know it. There are more things that play into a QB's struggles than what the average fan sees. More often than not.......what the average fans sees as a failure by the QB was a result of mistakes by others including play calling. So many people seem to think that Martinez playing well will keep us in the game. It might but it means we have to have great play by the other 21 guys too and special teams. Not to mention coaching. Keep in mind that across the board they are probably close to a star better than us at each position. I don't think it is a matter of Martinez keeping up with Fields........its whether our other 21 guys can hold their own and we don't get out coached.......... again.

I am not sure the team is ready for heavy contact? Huskers have lots of questions on defense and offense. I am still unsure HCSF will pound the rock. That is a way to shorten the game. If we come out throwing the ball and have three and outs which seems to last a quarter or so based on last year. I am not sure this team is ready and at least there will not be 100K rapid fans so maybe Ohio St comes out flat? I think this game could get ugly by the fourth quarter. I am hoping we come out pounding Mills of tackle and get tight end involved. I want to see the defense put pressure on OSU QB and not get OLB matched up with wide receivers. If the team can stop big plays and get a few big plays on offense then it could get interesting. I am not holding my breath.

I'm sure most of the nation expects a blow out with Ohio State running all over the HUSKERS but I'll take the 21 & 1/2 points and let the chips fall where they may. The HUSKERS are long overdue for playing a complete game on both sides of the ball and while unlikely to happen, it is possible they could pull off an improbable huge upset right out of the gate.
Oh I hope so. Keep in mind both teams are rusty plus no real home advantage.

BTW, USAToday/Sagarin predictor ....... Buckeyes favored by 30.21 points. Please no embarrassing score.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Coaches Poll: tOSU #5, Huskers #51 (5 votes)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back