• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ohio State Game

2010sAreNeverComingBack

some guy
2 Year Member
NU opens as +21.5 underdog:

Slightly larger line than last year (but 1/2 the margin of the game result) after OSU loses two top-3 NFL draft picks. Obviously plenty of talent behind that on their roster, but you'd expect their defense's dominance to take a step back after losing 2 1st-round NFL CBs & an all-world DE, among others (6 of their 7 all-B1G defensive players are gone). Nebraska likewise losing some key defensive talent, but not many contributors on offense (Spielman being the notable exception).

Hopefully our offense is ready to go from the opening kickoff, as a shootout seems like the likely game flow, with some opportunistic defensive plays being the way to potentially pull the upset. Culturally, it seems like we're in a significantly better place, but too many unknowns for me to touch the betting angle of this with a 10 foot pole. Hoping for a spirited performance that gives me reasons to drink the kool aid, even if we come up short against an expected national title contender.

Three of the last four games with OSU have been 40+ point blowouts. So a three TD loss sounds pretty good in comparison.

But it seems like big underdogs have fared pretty well in the early games this year. Let's hope that is the case here.

Ohio State has nine 5 Stars in their starting line-up according to 247 (combined O and D).

A lot of people will look at last year's game as an indicator, but OSU did lose a lot of experience to graduation and the NFL.

So I guess I would say the line is pretty fair.
Agreed - SF will have to be on top of his game with scheme & gameplanning, and our players will have to out-effort theirs and take advantage of their relative inexperience whenever possible, because their head start with talent is still significant.

I think there is more pressure on OSU to cover. They need style points.
Agreed, particularly in the first game with will set the media expectations for future games. That said, just because they will be trying to bury us and may have the horses to do it, doesn't mean I won't be disappointed if it happens.

It all comes down to tOSU is ranked without playing a down of football they have everything to loose in this game. If DONU and comes in with the attitude of nothing to loose I think a win is possible and a close game is certain

Keys to the Husker cover
Our D line must play up to their potential, force faster reads by the QB and take pressure off of our young secondary.
Tackle, thats all.
Convert on third down and 5 or less to extend drives, eat clock and rest the defense.
No offensive turnovers, none, absolutely nil.

If these fundamental football practices happen, we will cover and be very competitive.

I'll be very disappointed if SF can't make a game out of this and at least cover the spread.
A whole lot of us will be more than very disappointed
I'll be very disappointed if SF can't make a game out of this and at least cover the spread.
A whole lot of us will be more than very disappointed.We really need to show real improvements.Jmo.Keep the faith.GBR.

I have faith in our offseason and what our coaches did to get our team ready. I just can't tell if Ohio State is that much better than us and when they need to make a statement every game due to the B1G allowing zero room for error with the scheduling. As of now i'd take us +21.5 and putting my faith in this statement:

I have faith in our offseason and what our coaches did to get our team ready. I just can't tell if Ohio State is that much better than us and when they need to make a statement every game due to the B1G allowing zero room for error with the scheduling. As of now i'd take us +21.5 and putting my faith in this statement:

The nice part is that we can roll out Moos's statement from April 2018 anytime we need it. I've bookmarked it so I can have it ready in 2021. :Biggrin:

Regarding +21.5 .... no clue, wouldn't bet that game. But I suppose if someone gave me their money to bet, I'd throw it on the Huskers side of the line. :)

The nice part is that we can roll out Moos's statement from April 2018 anytime we need it. I've bookmarked it so I can have it ready in 2021. :Biggrin:

Regarding +21.5 .... no clue, wouldn't bet that game. But I suppose if someone gave me their money to bet, I'd throw it on the Huskers side of the line. :)
Agree, I think there's some other games in the B1G that are better to look at like Illinois.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back