• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ohio State and Clemson lose players to the portal

SWVAHusker

Starter
20 Year Member
Ohio State freshman QB Quinn Evers, who's already earned over $1 million in NIL deals, entered the transfer portal today. Apparently, he must not have been happy about Day getting a commitment from 4-star QB Devin Brown earlier this week.

Clemson backup QB Taisun Phommachanh and starting WR Frank Ladsen Jr. also entered the portal. Ladsen started the first four games of the season before he injured his groin and missed the rest of the season.

I don't think Frost would have a prayer of getting Evers, but maybe Phommachanh or Ladsen might be interested in coming to Lincoln.

Why would he stay? For the money? He isn’t going to play next year either unless injury occurs. Be nice to get him. He could probably start day 1.

Honestly, don't just about every team lose a player or two to the portal? I mean that is what it is for. NU would have lost Rodger Craig to the portal if it was ava way back in the day for example

We have the NFL on steroids when it comes to players switching teams in college football now. At least in the NFL teams losing players to FA are compenstated while in college it's simply thanks for the memories. Some claim it will calm down after awhile but I believe it will be just the opposite for highly ranked players that aren't playing. Especially when it comes to QB's and RB's as teams are always looking to improve with better players from the portal imo.

We have the NFL on steroids when it comes to players switching teams in college football now. At least in the NFL teams losing players to FA are compenstated while in college it's simply thanks for the memories. Some claim it will calm down after awhile but I believe it will be just the opposite for highly ranked players that aren't playing. Especially when it comes to QB's and RB's as teams are always looking to improve with better players from the portal imo.

Do you think this will dramatically change how coaches recruit? For example, it appears Evers left Ohio State because Ryan Day got a commitment from 4-star QB Devin Brown.

Because of the portal, do you think coaches eventually avoid taking another highly ranked guy at a position because they don't want the highly regarded guy they signed the previous year to enter the portal?

Do you think this will dramatically change how coaches recruit? For example, it appears Evers left Ohio State because Ryan Day got a commitment from 4-star QB Devin Brown.

Because of the portal, do you think coaches eventually avoid taking another highly ranked guy at a position because they don't want the highly regarded guy they signed the previous year to enter the portal?
Yes, see AM and Frost

That's an excellent point imo. I would think smart coaches will in fact start taking that into account because what's the point of wasting scholies to a 1 and done (perhaps none and none) players? Better off with a lower ranked player that actually going to stick around for more then a single season. Of course the mega $$$$ programs like Bama will still suck up the vast majority of 5 star recruits. However teams need capable players at all postions especially in a conference like the BIG. Lots of injuries especially for what's mislabed as skill positions. I say that because in reality ALL positions on P5 teams are skill positions imo.

Ewers will return to Texas (or somewhere close) most likely. Doesn't seem to want to actually compete for the job unless there were things said that were eventually reneged upon. On the surface, it looks like a money grab, but there are always two sides to a story.

Those highly ranked players should make better decisions about where they go to school. I mean, Ewers thought he was so good he could come right in and unseat some other 4-5* QB’s? Unless you’re a generation guy, you aren’t going to start, or play, for a year or longer, depending on the situation.

Those highly ranked players should make better decisions about where they go to school. I mean, Ewers thought he was so good he could come right in and unseat some other 4-5* QB’s? Unless you’re a generation guy, you aren’t going to start, or play, for a year or longer, depending on the situation.
You are right, but you also have to think about the type of person you are dealing with. When you are the number one recruit in the nation, you've always been the best player on the field and everyone treats you like a king. Even these coaches that come to recruit them puff up their ego. I'm sure they aren't walking into the living room of these kids saying, "We think you are great, and by your Junior year, maybe you can become our guy!"

Many high school kids don't think through the decision of where to go to school in the right manner, even outside of football. It isn't surprising to see kids hitting the transfer portal after a year when they realize everything isn't always going to be easy.

Ewers will return to Texas (or somewhere close) most likely. Doesn't seem to want to actually compete for the job unless there were things said that were eventually reneged upon. On the surface, it looks like a money grab, but there are always two sides to a story.

I actually don't think Ewers transfer is a "money grab." The kid inked at least $1 million in NIL deals as a freshman before the Ohio State season started. Most, if not everybody, knew he was unlikely to play in 2021. He got those deals anyway. If he'd stayed at Ohio State I don't see any reason why he'd lose those deals in 2022.

IMO this transfer is just about Ewers having to compete with the 4-star QB who just verbally committed. Ewers put his name in the portal right after that happened.

Last edited:
You are right, but you also have to think about the type of person you are dealing with. When you are the number one recruit in the nation, you've always been the best player on the field and everyone treats you like a king. Even these coaches that come to recruit them puff up their ego. I'm sure they aren't walking into the living room of these kids saying, "We think you are great, and by your Junior year, maybe you can become our guy!"

Many high school kids don't think through the decision of where to go to school in the right manner, even outside of football. It isn't surprising to see kids hitting the transfer portal after a year when they realize everything isn't always going to be easy.

I think you're spot on here. I think I recall Rob Zatechka commenting on his podcast that the teams he was on would have had a few transfers every year if the portal had existed and a player didn't have to sit out a year after transferring. The only reason this looks crazy now is because it's so new. I also haven't seen any attempts to contextualize the number of athletes who are transferring. Maybe I'm wrong, but the percentage of athletes who have transferred using the portal probably isn't statistically out of line with the number of college students overall who transferred to new schools the past couple years.

I actually don't think Ewers transfer is a "money grab." The kid inked at least $1 million in NIL deals as a freshman before the Ohio State season started. Most, if not everybody, knew he was unlikely to play in 2021. He got those deals anyway. If he'd stayed at Ohio State I don't see any reason why he'd lose those deals in 2022.

IMO this transfer is just about Ewers having to compete with the 4-star QB who just verbally committed. Ewers put his name in the portal right after that happened.
Agreed that first and foremost this was about an unwillingness to compete. But the NIL money received only made it "look" like a money grab as he had one year of HS eligibility left that he bypassed for some serious dough. Even when he committed, there was commentary basically saying if the NIL money was not available he would have stayed in school. Either way, not a very good look.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back