• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Oh MO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree completely as he was just being honest about what he thought at the time. I'm sure there were quite a few fans that felt the same way at halftime, me included.

I sure didn't. On CU's first drive; we had them backed up to their end zone and Lamar Jackson makes a bonehead play to give them new life. We could have gotten the ball with a short field to play/score. I feel we may have left points on the field. I just felt that 17 points wasn't enough in the first half. Plus, we needed a TD there, not a field goal.

Going into halftime I was wondering if we could continue to keep moving the ball. So, what happens? We have to call a timeout before we even get a snap on our first play from scrimmage. :Facepalm:That gave me a very bad feeling that just continued to get worse.

Last edited:

Coaching and Preparation! I guess we weren't as prepared as our great practices indicated!

"Not at all," senior defensive tackle Darrion Daniels said. "I feel like we had our legs. It wasn’t executing. That’s one thing I feel like we struggled with the most in the second half is just poor execution all around. Fatigue, I don’t think, played a role. (Strength) coach (Zach) Duval does a great job with us, and Coach (Scott) Frost does a great job getting us ready for the game. It was just execution."

"They’re obviously smart, when they have big plays they’re going to go fast so we can’t sub the D-line," NU junior defensive end Ben Stille said. "So that’s something we’ve got to get better than that."

We've been outcoached before, and it will happen again. Look at their coaches experience compared to Frost. Frost is the right guy to get us where we need to be, but made some mistakes a couple days ago.

Fatigue was pretty clear, but it would be nice if our offense could just impose their will a bit. We can't yet unfortunately.
Thanks for being at the very least, one of the few adults in the room. While I don’t see this as being ‘outcoached’, as much as it was Scott making an error in play calling. I didn’t CU make great adjustments that changed the flow of the game, that was self inflicted.

Coaching and Preparation! I guess we weren't as prepared as our great practices indicated!

"Not at all," senior defensive tackle Darrion Daniels said. "I feel like we had our legs. It wasn’t executing. That’s one thing I feel like we struggled with the most in the second half is just poor execution all around. Fatigue, I don’t think, played a role. (Strength) coach (Zach) Duval does a great job with us, and Coach (Scott) Frost does a great job getting us ready for the game. It was just execution."

"They’re obviously smart, when they have big plays they’re going to go fast so we can’t sub the D-line," NU junior defensive end Ben Stille said. "So that’s something we’ve got to get better than that."
Trying to corner the market on being a negative clown, or did you bet the farm and are feeling the sting in your wallet? I guarantee altitude was a component in the comeback and subsequent loss. I also guarantee that unless we have a workout room that has the ability to control oxygen levels, there’s nothing that we can do to replicate and prepare for altitude.

Oh yes, I’m so upset the coaches didn’t come out in the pregame pressers and say, ‘yes, the altitude is a concern, but we plan on subbing freely’. Some of the Armchair Army are so entertaining to read...yes, both of these thoughts are dripping with sarcasm.

Agree completely as he was just being honest about what he thought at the time. I'm sure there were quite a few fans that felt the same way at halftime, me included.
I sure didn't. On CU's first drive; we had them backed up to their end zone and Lamar Jackson makes a bonehead play to give them new life. We could have gotten the ball with a short field to play/score. I feel we may have left points on the field. I just felt that 17 points wasn't enough in the first half. Plus, we needed a TD there, not a field goal.

Going into halftime I was wondering if we could continue to keep moving the ball. So, what happens? We have to call a timeout before we even get a snap on our first play from scrimmage. :Facepalm:That gave me a very bad feeling that just continued to get worse.

Yeah, well fans can have that luxury. Players can't.

I'm with Huskermike. I felt like we left a lot out there in the first half--actually felt it should have been 24-0 and wondered if it would come back to bite us.

I think you are onto something.... there's always going to be interpretation especially based on who said what. Heck, i'm doing it just taking his comments at face value rather than thinking there was more to it. I think since it came from Barry, I have no doubt in my mind we didn't let off the gas defensively. If it would have came from another member, it may have given me more pause. But Mo Barry doesn't have anything left to give after football games, he's the defninition of effort.
Interestingly, I was listening to Farniok on a podcast this morning and he said just that...that they let the foot off the gas pedal (talking about the offense). I truly believe Mo is a kid who will never do that, but I also believe there are others who will and have in the past. Not everyone is made like Mo. But we do have a history here of not knowing how to win, and Farniok demonstrated that with his comments. Scott still has much work to do culture wise.

The players can say what they want . . . and probably would never admit to being fatigued. But I don't know how you can look at the defense in the 4th qtr and not see they were clearly gassed. And when you're gassed, you're not going to execute.

Trying to corner the market on being a negative clown, or did you bet the farm and are feeling the sting in your wallet? I guarantee altitude was a component in the comeback and subsequent loss. I also guarantee that unless we have a workout room that has the ability to control oxygen levels, there’s nothing that we can do to replicate and prepare for altitude.

Oh yes, I’m so upset the coaches didn’t come out in the pregame pressers and say, ‘yes, the altitude is a concern, but we plan on subbing freely’. Some of the Armchair Army are so entertaining to read...yes, both of these thoughts are dripping with sarcasm.
Frost did not seem concerned with altitude. And now we hear it is/was a concern.

The thing with the altitude is that it's additive. Was altitude the major reason the team faded in the second half? No--probably not. Other teams have gone into Boulder and kicked their butts. But in the totality of what was going on, the altitude was one more weight on their backs that takes a toll. Relatively hot day, offense not scoring or running much clock--and turning the ball over, getting a little tired and then CU ups the tempo to limit subs . . . and then you've got all that going on with thinner air than you're used to. It adds up.

Still should have won the game. Sucks.

I felt the first half, I thought it was over with,” senior linebacker Mohamed Barry said. “I thought we were about to just give it to them and it was about to be a blowout. That’s what it should have been. We had them. We was better than that team. In the second half, we didn’t finish.”
So, Mo. Let me ask you a question. Since you have been a Husker, how many blowout wins have you experienced? Let me help you out--NONE. It amazes me that any player, much less a captain, would think that any Nebraska football game is in the bag at halftime, regardless of the lead.

And I really doubt that any coach would even hint that it's acceptable to go into cruise control. I have been around hundreds of coaches, and I have never heard any say that a 17 point halftime lead is safe.

I am sick and tired of reading comments from players who think that they can take any team lightly, or that they have a safe lead.

Trying to corner the market on being a negative clown, or did you bet the farm and are feeling the sting in your wallet?
Neither! This isn't the first time we've played at CU. The coaches new about altitude and apparently didn't consider it a factor and did little to prepare for it. Which goes back to my original comment: "Coaching and Preparation".

I haven't listened to any of the post game or recent post practice interviews. They mean little until it is shown on the field. We heard many of the same things last year and the years before. NU needs to prove it on the field and for the rest of the games this season. It burns mean that we are still getting beat by teams with less talent and first year coaches!

In both of those games, our HC went into a shell (FS did it anytime he ever got a 17 point lead) and nearly got beat by inferior teams. In those instances. like this past Saturday, the closeness of the game was a direct result of poor game day coaching. Very little, if anything to do with altitude.

TO rarely went into a shell, but we were ranked #2 that year and it was late in the season. TO likely thought our defense would hold well to retain our #2 ranking, which would get us one step closer to the playoff game. Hopefully, SF wasn't going into an FS-like shell and the offense just needs more fine tuning.

Actually, the opposite is true of 97. They were ranked behind Michigan and needed an impressive performance to impress voters. They didn't get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back