• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: USC/UCLA Joining B1G in 2024

So I am not really on the ball here, and I know time zones may be an issue, but if the SEC schools are all in one time zone you really need to have games on for the most part at 11, 3ish, and 6ish. If you go across multiple time zones you may literally have games on from 7am until 10pm. I'm not sure that makes sense, at least I am trying to tell myself it does. But you can have a west coast team play an east coast team in Cali at 11am West and what 4 or 5pm East, then turn around and have a game at 8pm East and 3 or 4pm west played in PA. Plus everything in between.
When I lived in Cali, saturdays were full days of cfb.
In the midwest, if I want to take in a late game, I do.
My guess is, the SEC will simply have more 'late' games for revenue/competition, though late is 6 here,7 east coast

The B1G decision on taking 2 or 4 more Pac teams will determine if this thing goes to 2 super conferences or 3. If we were to take any more schools right now, the SEC would respond in earnest and it would blow the powder keg wide open. I think Warren is hoping everyone holds pat for a bit.

Last edited:
I don't think the Big Ten is ONLY interested in further expansion IF it includes Notre Dame. You can't base the future of the entire conference on one team. However, I don't doubt the Big Ten wants Notre Dame more than any other team currently. That's been the case for many years. But if ND still won't budge, I'll bet the Big Ten keeps on expanding without them. While I wouldn't bet on it, I'd be surprised if Notre Dame says "no."
ND brings the most with the addition.

Yea. My comment on that is they might be slowed by state interests concerned about what happens to OSU and WSU. The Okie version suggests separation is not impossible, but I would think getting the okays would slow the process at least.
Also now hearing that the B1G told Oregon and UW that they (the B1G) were waiting for the Notre Dame thing to clear up, i.e. they want an answer if ND is or is not interested in joining the B1G.

The B1G decision on taking 2 or 4 more Pac teams will determine if this thing goes to 2 super conferences or 3. If we were to take any more schools right now, the SEC would respond in earnest and it would blow the powder keg wide open. I think Warren is hoping everyone holds pat for a bit.
Pretty much how I see it,let the remainder of the 3 converge into 2 if possible.
Too many schools left behind if not, and better for formatting if so.

So I am not really on the ball here, and I know time zones may be an issue, but if the SEC schools are all in one time zone you really need to have games on for the most part at 11, 3ish, and 6ish. If you go across multiple time zones you may literally have games on from 7am until 10pm. I'm not sure that makes sense, at least I am trying to tell myself it does. But you can have a west coast team play an east coast team in Cali at 11am West and what 4 or 5pm East, then turn around and have a game at 8pm East and 3 or 4pm west played in PA. Plus everything in between.
I agree. The B1G can offer games starting, for example, at 11am, 3pm, 7pm and 11pm Eastern, which is 8am, noon, 4pm and 8pm Pacific. Fewer conference games competing with each other.

Chicago, is ranked 3rd in media market, he’ll Minneapolis is ranked 15 now add in LA with the Ny market. Even SEC can not compete

I am not convinced Warren is making these decisions though he probably has some input.

The latest decision was primarily made by Fox Sports executives. This is a battle between ESPN/SEC and FOX/Big Ten. Why did you hardly see any coverage about this on ESPN last night?

It truly is that simple.

Last edited:

Cultural fit is a non-factor. Nebraska isn't a cultural fit already with teams like Rutgers and Maryland. The only thing that matters is expanding the Big Ten footprint to own as many TV sets and streaming devices as possible.

Exactly. Whatever makes the most cents makes the most sense. That's present day college athletics. Hang on for the next big wind of change! :Sign2cents:

Last edited:
I am not convinced Warren is making these decisions though he probably has some input.

The latest decision was primarily made by Fox Sports executives. This is a battle between ESPN/SEC and FOX/Big Ten. Why did you hardly see any coverage about this on ESPN last night?

It truly is that simple.
ESPN has the greater fanatics, Fox the money.
You can grow the number of fans.

Who is USC’s first opponent in the BIG

West meets east showdown USCvPsU

Last edited:

I believe ND is still a high priority target for the B1G, and the target conference size is 20 teams. With USC coming to the B1G, that helps with convincing ND. I also think they are trying to get Stanford. If they get Stanford, ND is much closer. ND can still say no to a football conference, but I think the writing is on the wall, and ND can see it. With the Power TWO of B1G and SEC, if you aren't in one of those two, you may be out of the running for national championships. My thoughts are the B1G is going after ND and Stanford. Stanford would probably want Cal, so they are in. If it's 20 teams, that only leaves one more opening, so I think Oregon and Washington are out (probably more to do with their in-state schools and ability to get away from them). Who is the other one? I don't know. I think the ACC is difficult with the Grant of Rights situation, so it would need to come from somewhere else. Perhaps 20 isn't the target, though, which would put Oregon and Washington back in the mix.

I believe ND is still a high priority target for the B1G, and the target conference size is 20 teams. With USC coming to the B1G, that helps with convincing ND. I also think they are trying to get Stanford. If they get Stanford, ND is much closer. ND can still say no to a football conference, but I think the writing is on the wall, and ND can see it. With the Power TWO of B1G and SEC, if you aren't in one of those two, you may be out of the running for national championships. My thoughts are the B1G is going after ND and Stanford. Stanford would probably want Cal, so they are in. If it's 20 teams, that only leaves one more opening, so I think Oregon and Washington are out (probably more to do with their in-state schools and ability to get away from them). Who is the other one? I don't know. I think the ACC is difficult with the Grant of Rights situation, so it would need to come from somewhere else. Perhaps 20 isn't the target, though, which would put Oregon and Washington back in the mix.

I agree that ND and Stanford could be the next 2 that the Big 10 wants.

Stanford brings quite a bit to the conference which has been discussed in this thread. However, Stanford will not be able to dictate bringing Cal with them. They might want it but won’t say no to the Big 10 if Cal isn’t included.

I think this is just the start.

The SEC and B1G will each expand to 24-28 teams each, create a new governing body and go their own way.

I think the B1G locks up the CA markets, the West coast markets, and possibly AZ, Dallas and KU.

The SEC guts the ACC and a couple of Big 12 teams.

But I do not see the same college football world by 2025. You may have the NFL Collegiate league, and then the NCAA which will have all the other left over teams/schools.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back