• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Offensive Line

I see the same stuff go on in about every extended thread. And I don't like none of it. But is this instance different than the others? I have mentioned many times before I hate the personal attacks
Let me explain. Not only did he do a personal attack. He did on a person that was not even involved in the conversation other than me mentioning his name in a post. I am only saying this in response to your question about how it was different.

Off the subject, is anyone else getting annoying pop ups saying you won a gift certificate. Seems like I only get them on this site?
There are threads re this. I was getting them nonstop about 2 months ago but haven't had one in quite a while. Some on here can advise ad blockers to download.

Last edited:
Imagine if your are on the DLine being blown out by Nebraska in the 4th quarter. Good news they are putting the back-ups in and you take a deep breath preparing to finally win a few battles. Then you look over and these 5 are jogging onto the field fully rested. :eek:

Looks like the trend in recruiting o-linemen seems to have swayed to these taller kids. It looks like that is the body types most teams are after now. Long arms are beneficial in pass pro and offenses don't seem to require linemen to maintain their blocks for an extended time. Just able to make a crease is what's necessary.

Looks like the trend in recruiting o-linemen seems to have swayed to these taller kids. It looks like that is the body types most teams are after now. Long arms are beneficial in pass pro and offenses don't seem to require linemen to maintain their blocks for an extended time. Just able to make a crease is what's necessary.

Not trying to conjure a debate on this, but I'm curious as to what are the mechanical blocking benefits with longer arms ?

Maybe I can see more horizontal blocking area that makes it harder for the D to get around the block, but I also think that with longer arms they are perhaps more likely to grab or extend beyond where they should and get called for Holding.

Regarding your 2nd statement ....

With regard to pass blocking, there is a strong effort (usually always) to execute a pass play that allows the QB to find a Receiver and release the pass ASAP. My thinking on this is that the Secondary is more vulnerable (not reaching for an interception) and the 'QB protection zone' is more secure within the 1st 4 seconds after the snap. Obviously this quick release effort allows the O line guys to end their pass blocks sooner.

With regard to a run play, they attempt to maintain their design block pattern at least until the RB is beyond their own position. Any effort to block after the RB has run beyond their own position will likely trigger a Clip, unless they are directly trying to push their own RB across for a 1st down or the Zero-yard line.

Not sure any of this explains why SF Inc is looking for taller, leaner guys; other than maybe they can keep better pace with a quick tempo offense. I'm not sure I see an obvious benefit to the taller, 'lankier' O line guy with regard to better blocking mechanics.

I'm very curious to see what others have to say about this topic regarding a taller, leaner O-line guys .... why go that direction ?

Not trying to conjure a debate on this, but I'm curious as to what are the mechanical blocking benefits with longer arms ?

Maybe I can see more horizontal blocking area that makes it harder for the D to get around the block, but I also think that with longer arms they are perhaps more likely to grab or extend beyond where they should and get called for Holding.

Regarding your 2nd statement ....

With regard to pass blocking, there is a strong effort (usually always) to execute a pass play that allows the QB to find a Receiver and release the pass ASAP. My thinking on this is that the Secondary is more vulnerable (not reaching for an interception) and the 'QB protection zone' is more secure within the 1st 4 seconds after the snap. Obviously this quick release effort allows the O line guys to end their pass blocks sooner.

With regard to a run play, they attempt to maintain their design block pattern at least until the RB is beyond their own position. Any effort to block after the RB has run beyond their own position will likely trigger a Clip, unless they are directly trying to push their own RB across for a 1st down or the Zero-yard line.

Not sure any of this explains why SF Inc is looking for taller, leaner guys; other than maybe they can keep better pace with a quick tempo offense. I'm not sure I see an obvious benefit to the taller, 'lankier' O line guy with regard to better blocking mechanics.

I'm very curious to see what others have to say about this topic regarding a taller, leaner O-line guys .... why go that direction ?
It just seems to be a trend to taller linemen. I always thought the guys 6-3 6-4 always got better leverage in the run game but the game is changing

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back