• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Offensive Line Thoughts (Part 2)

Huskerwisdom

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
Kind of an ongoing series of semi-random thoughts on the OL here. A while back I did a look at our OL recruiting. So now I'm looking at recruiting/talent from another angle:

what we recruited:
2018 - 3 including Jurgens who was a TE
2019 - 7 including Piper who was a DT
2020 - 2
2021 - 3

I won't go through and count the full number of walk-on linemen we brought in as well, but we have a few on the 2 deep (Hixson Center/OG, Miller - OT (he was a 4 star originally, though), Boerkircher, Nouile (was a scholarship player who walked on to come back to NU after his freshman year)

Out of that number, we have 4 walk-ons who have made good and are on 2-deep plus 15 scholarship guys brought in. A number of them are gone, but we've had a lot of swings and misses and a lot of places where we took a shot, but it didn't work out.

A few other numbers:
2021 - 2 of 3 > 6-8, 1 of 3 > 6-6
2020 - 2 who are 6-6
2019 - 2 at 6-4, the rest 5 of them 6-7 and taller
2018 - 1 at 6-3, 2 at 6-4,

who played:
2018 - Jurgens 6-4
2019 - Benhart 6-9, Banks a bit 6-7, Piper 6-4
2020 - Corcoran 6-6
2021 - 1 6-9

walk-ons who played - Hixson 6-4, Nouile 6-4, Miller 6-6, Boerkircher 6-6

A few thoughts:

-- We ask a lot of our OT's (or did with what we tried to run the past few years), so we spent a ton of scholarships trying to find the TE to OT conversion types who could pass block but also move to pull and block downfield, and who can knock defensive linemen off the line.

-- that really didn't really work out for us. We ended up with 1 OT who may have what it takes to play that way (Prochazka), out of the huge number we brought in

-- rules of the game reward taller offensive linemen with long arms, BUT, guys still need to be able to play the game with the bulk, power, leverage, and explosion to move defenders

-- Lot of teams (even Bama) are running with offensive lines that are shorter than what we recruited.

-- The walk-ons who've played have been shorter (to be fair Nouili has freakish long arms for his height).

-- More than ever OL play is about the right people in the right scheme, but it's pretty clear we've either been unable to find the talent to run the scheme or haven't been running a scheme that is going to work with the OL

I think in general we have the talent to do a lot of good things on the OLine, but we need to put them in positions where they can succeed...

And, maybe a bit controversial, I think we need to build toward a scheme where our few recruiting advantages can work for us. We can pull in a ton of quality walk-ons. Some who are very athletic and have good bulk -- sure, if they were 6-8, they would never be a walk-on, but can we figure out ways to use them?

I think so -- and I think some of the names we're hearing about are to figure out how to be more creative with that kind of talent. Davis (speculation at this point still) uses shorter offensive linemen all the time. Raiola was a 6-2 linemen who made it to the NFL.

Sure we want a guy like Prochazka to play LT, but if we can't figure out a way to get Corcoran to play, we have some serious flaws in our plan, IMO

I couls see him bring in Davis to implement a running game and MJ is going to be the passing game guru. The three hang out and come up with a plan. Could be after next week when we hear the OC announced

Kind of an ongoing series of semi-random thoughts on the OL here. A while back I did a look at our OL recruiting. So now I'm looking at recruiting/talent from another angle:

what we recruited:
2018 - 3 including Jurgens who was a TE
2019 - 7 including Piper who was a DT
2020 - 2
2021 - 3

I won't go through and count the full number of walk-on linemen we brought in as well, but we have a few on the 2 deep (Hixson Center/OG, Miller - OT (he was a 4 star originally, though), Boerkircher, Nouile (was a scholarship player who walked on to come back to NU after his freshman year)

Out of that number, we have 4 walk-ons who have made good and are on 2-deep plus 15 scholarship guys brought in. A number of them are gone, but we've had a lot of swings and misses and a lot of places where we took a shot, but it didn't work out.

A few other numbers:
2021 - 2 of 3 > 6-8, 1 of 3 > 6-6
2020 - 2 who are 6-6
2019 - 2 at 6-4, the rest 5 of them 6-7 and taller
2018 - 1 at 6-3, 2 at 6-4,

who played:
2018 - Jurgens 6-4
2019 - Benhart 6-9, Banks a bit 6-7, Piper 6-4
2020 - Corcoran 6-6
2021 - 1 6-9

walk-ons who played - Hixson 6-4, Nouile 6-4, Miller 6-6, Boerkircher 6-6

A few thoughts:

-- We ask a lot of our OT's (or did with what we tried to run the past few years), so we spent a ton of scholarships trying to find the TE to OT conversion types who could pass block but also move to pull and block downfield, and who can knock defensive linemen off the line.

-- that really didn't really work out for us. We ended up with 1 OT who may have what it takes to play that way (Prochazka), out of the huge number we brought in

-- rules of the game reward taller offensive linemen with long arms, BUT, guys still need to be able to play the game with the bulk, power, leverage, and explosion to move defenders

-- Lot of teams (even Bama) are running with offensive lines that are shorter than what we recruited.

-- The walk-ons who've played have been shorter (to be fair Nouili has freakish long arms for his height).

-- More than ever OL play is about the right people in the right scheme, but it's pretty clear we've either been unable to find the talent to run the scheme or haven't been running a scheme that is going to work with the OL

I think in general we have the talent to do a lot of good things on the OLine, but we need to put them in positions where they can succeed...

And, maybe a bit controversial, I think we need to build toward a scheme where our few recruiting advantages can work for us. We can pull in a ton of quality walk-ons. Some who are very athletic and have good bulk -- sure, if they were 6-8, they would never be a walk-on, but can we figure out ways to use them?

I think so -- and I think some of the names we're hearing about are to figure out how to be more creative with that kind of talent. Davis (speculation at this point still) uses shorter offensive linemen all the time. Raiola was a 6-2 linemen who made it to the NFL.

Sure we want a guy like Prochazka to play LT, but if we can't figure out a way to get Corcoran to play, we have some serious flaws in our plan, IMO

Good thoughts. And, to my untrained eye, the line seemed much improved when Prochaska played. Was he in that 2021 class?

i agree with pretty much everything you said. the one area i would have concern is teddy. if you watch the play that he got hurt, the d lineman got underneath his pads and got him off balance. i think that directly led to his injury. I think thats the problem will al these 6'5" plus guys. their not able to get low enough to block efficiently. hell even when it comes to the goal line, i would never rely on this O line to get a Rback into the endzone because they cant get low enough to get any push.

i agree with pretty much everything you said. the one area i would have concern is teddy. if you watch the play that he got hurt, the d lineman got underneath his pads and got him off balance. i think that directly led to his injury. I think thats the problem will al these 6'5" plus guys. their not able to get low enough to block efficiently. hell even when it comes to the goal line, i would never rely on this O line to get a Rback into the endzone because they cant get low enough to get any push.

There are tall guys who can get low enough to get leverage as well. I think Teddy might be one of them. We've struggled with that, but it's not clear to me how much is technique and scheme and how much is talent at this point.

Corcoran may be an OG at the next level, but I don't see any reason why he can't play RT for us at a high level.

That said, I'm hopeful we can find an OL coach/scheme such that we can broaden our recruiting to pick up more local guys and are less reliant on having to hit home runs in order to staff the OL

I watched Hutchinson from mich go right around an Iowa tackle.
The tackle wasnt quick enough to engage, fair enough, Hutchinsons quick, but as he extended, Hutchinson simply batted athis short arms and went around him for a sack.
Theres no punch when youre that far away, and it coudnt knock Hutchinson off his path.
Taller guys and longer arms do help

The tackle wasnt quick enough to engage, fair enough, Hutchinsons quick, but as he extended, Hutchinson simply batted athis short arms and went around him for a sack.
Theres no punch when youre that far away, and it coudnt knock Hutchinson off his path.

In theory you are correct. However, if the taller player with longer arms is slow off the snap the longer arms will be negated.

I can only imagine how challenging it must be to find/recruit an offensive lineman to play tackle that has all the attributes needed to play the position effectively.

Also, it isn’t easy to find a player like Hutchinson either. Hutchinson could easily be a top 5 pick in the next draft. Nebraska has been looking for that type of player since Randy Gregory. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

No doubt. Guys like him are difficult to stop no matter who is blocking them!

My preferred way of dealing with a guy like that are power run plays right at them with a TE and/or FB help, and some pulling offensive linemen so that his head's on a swivel the entire game. Hammer them enough and that pass rush step starts to slow down

In theory you are correct. However, if the taller player with longer arms is slow off the snap the longer arms will be negated.

I can only imagine how challenging it must be to find/recruit an offensive lineman to play tackle that has all the attributes needed to play the position effectively.

Also, it isn’t easy to find a player like Hutchinson either. Hutchinson could easily be a top 5 pick in the next draft. Nebraska has been looking for that type of player since Randy Gregory. :thumbsup:

Exactly - If we play without a FB, often without a RB in the backfield, and don't always give help with a TE, it's almost impossible to find OTs who can stand up to those demands against top DE's --- add in that we want our OT's to be able to block in the run game and move and pull

For Wisconsin, they almost always have tackles who end up at OG in the NFL. Cole Van Lanen was an OT there, drafted at OG. Michael Deiter, David Edwards were all tackles who are more OG's in the NFL because they can't do that kind of pass blocking... But it's OK because their system allows them to play that kind of player at OT (in large part because they go after those pass rushing DE's with power running)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back