• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Offense vs. Defense

BleedinHuskerRed

Scout Team
10 Year Member
When HCSF was hired, we expected him to build a stellar offense and a defense whose role was to support the offense.

After 3 years, we’ve seen real improvements on the defense, and an overall anemic offense. And now the offense players are transferring and declaring for the draft. Dismuke and Williams are the latest to highlight the disparity.

I just am not sure what to think. Has lower expectations given the defense time and room to grow? Has our focus on star skill players on the offense worked against us? Coaching issues?

When HCSF was hired, we expected him to build a stellar offense and a defense whose role was to support the offense.

After 3 years, we’ve seen real improvements on the defense, and an overall anemic offense. And now the offense players are transferring and declaring for the draft. Dismuke and Williams are the latest to highlight the disparity.

I just am not sure what to think. Has lower expectations given the defense time and room to grow? Has our focus on star skill players on the offense worked against us? Coaching issues?

You need look no further than the bulk of the defections. They've been largely on offense and it shows.

I think it's largely an evaluation issue mixed with the inevitable misses, Covid and losing.

Move the ball and score more next year and it looks better from the outside. Win more because of a better offense and it adds to the appeal for kids. It's a snowball type deal. It's why you've got kids on the defensive side of the ball who want to stay. It's working. Things are trending up. They want to be a part of it. It all needs to be heading that way in 2021.

You need look no further than the bulk of the defections. They've been largely on offense and it shows.

I think it's largely an evaluation issue mixed with the inevitable misses, Covid and losing.

Move the ball and score more next year and it looks better from the outside. Win more because of a better offense and it adds to the appeal for kids. It's a snowball type deal. It's why you've got kids on the defensive side of the ball who want to stay. It's working. Things are trending up. They want to be a part of it. It all needs to be heading that way in 2021.

Positivity is not allowed

It is odd that I haven't heard from the "Chinander is the worst' crowd in a while. Many posters had to go back to the shed to get a different pitchfork & re-light their torches to come after the offensive coaches...
I think we can all agree by the eye test that the defense looked better but lets not go overboard patting Chin on the back.

2019 Average Yards per Game: 389
2020 Average Yards per Game: 387 2 yards per game improvement

2019 Average Points Given up Per Game: 27.8 points per game
2020 Average Points Given up Per Game: 29.4 points per game No improvement

I think we can all agree by the eye test that the defense looked better but lets not go overboard patting Chin on the back.

2019 Average Yards per Game: 389
2020 Average Yards per Game: 387 2 yards per game improvement

2019 Average Points Given up Per Game: 27.8 points per game
2020 Average Points Given up Per Game: 29.4 points per game No improvement
So, does those numbers include out of conference games?
They look different in conf games only, and then, our schedule was pretty tough as well

Last edited:

You and I are watching a different D, it has improved slightly better than the O, but I wouldn't characterize the changes as real improvement. In my opinion the O, ST and the D are no better than 3/4 wins per season. As things stand right now.

Record setting O linemen games played and a 24 yr old rb, plus a TE seeing a very deep and talented room?

I have a lot of hope in that too. But, we’ve had talented rooms the past 3 seasons, and somehow that top talent - on the offense - just has not panned out. And now many of them are gone. My concern is that these O-linemen and TEs will also transfer within the next few years.

I would say with the recent personnel turnover, the 'run the ball' crowd will be beating the drum this fall ... pretty sure that will be just fine with the Blackshirts & Chinander.

I have a lot of hope in that too. But, we’ve had talented rooms the past 3 seasons, and somehow that top talent - on the offense - just has not panned out. And now many of them are gone. My concern is that these O-linemen and TEs will also transfer within the next few years.
OK, who was rated higher than Wandale? TE room is solid
Who is rated higher than Wandale, or as high? Much of the Oline looks good.
Who may have been USCs best rb? We got him, lets hope here.
Being young is an excuse but someone has to play and win, so no excuse.

Some pretty good points regarding the defense this year. Yes the numbers weren't much better. It was a little tougher schedule not having some non conference games to factor in. Id probably add that as much as we like to believe a strong offense can help the defense by keeping them off the field. We moved up the national statistics from approximately 65th to 43rd in yards per play in a year that everyone predicted the defense would struggle because of all the departures on the defensive line and linebacker depth. Glass half full I guess.

Some pretty good points regarding the defense this year. Yes the numbers weren't much better. It was a little tougher schedule not having some non conference games to factor in. Id probably add that as much as we like to believe a strong offense can help the defense by keeping them off the field. We moved up the national statistics from approximately 65th to 43rd in yards per play in a year that everyone predicted the defense would struggle because of all the departures on the defensive line and linebacker depth. Glass half full I guess.

People forget the defense was 'slightly' better statistically, while the offense was measurably worse, constantly put the D in bad spots, special teams put the D in bad spots. Statistics are great, but in this case misleading. Couple in the losses in personnel and this was a big step forward for the group. All I heard most of the off season was that this better be the year Frost's offense shines, because the defensive line is going to struggle. Davis twins, gone. Daniels, gone. We had a proven Stille and a bunch of maybe. The bunch of maybe did a great job this past fall, IMO.

Sometimes the eye test is the better metric. As has been said many times on the board before, Chinander's system isn't a 'Shut Down Defense'. We're not going to see a ton of zeros. If that's what peoples measuring stick is, they're going to be disappointed for a long, long time.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back