• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Off The Wall Hobbies

And ectoplasmic residue?

Yes of coarse. :Biggrin:

I actually don't really have any hobbies. I wish I could find something that truly interests me enough to pursue it. I am just not that passionate about most things. That is why you don't see me posting endlessly on the Hot Topics board like some do.

Yes of coarse. :Biggrin:

I actually don't really have any hobbies. I wish I could find something that truly interests me enough to pursue it. I am just not that passionate about most things. That is why you don't see me posting endlessly on the Hot Topics board like some do.
9a5a53fb6350c9b1826213315a438974.jpg
;)

I'm a backyard breeder / spider wholesaler

Latrodectus mactans - Black Widow
Latrodectus hesperus - Western Black Widow
Latrodectus geometricus - Brown Widow
Latrodectus bishopi - Red Widow
Latrodectus hasseltii - Australian Redback Spider
Phidippus regius - Regal Jumping Spider

spidercups_zpsc5f28fad.jpg

spiderbox_zps9dce2bf1.jpg

And I have a variety of other arachnids, myriapods, and reptiles i don't breed but just keep imprisoned (too many to list), plus a few warm-blooded critters: hedgehogs, sugar gliders, and just recently added a flying blue unicorn.

nibblersmall_zpsiexjqvn5.jpg
giphy.gif

Why does this not surprise me in the least?

I fear nothing on this planet....except spiders.

This has the potential to be a good thread. I hope others participate (beyond the expected jokes).

I don't really have any hobbies outside of the usual things....exercising, outdoor activities, reading, listening to music, etc. When I was a kid I was into rock and mineral collecting and lapidary. If I had the time I think I would still enjoy that. Maybe when I retire..........

I know there have to be a ton of folks on this board that have hobbies that aren't 'mainstream'. I'm guessing a few involve potentially embarrassing components....so I get not outing themselves.

I've actually got another hobby that isn't really mainstream.

I've tied my own flies for....good lord...40 years. Started as a necessity because I could by the materials and tie my own far cheaper than store bought, then it turned into an obsession. I don't do it as much as I used to. Living in the South doesn't afford me to many trout fishing opportunities and tying patterns for warm or salt water species has yet to float my boat. Still enjoy it on the rare occasion I have time.

I've actually got another hobby that isn't really mainstream.

I've tied my own flies for....good lord...40 years. Started as a necessity because I could by the materials and tie my own far cheaper than store bought, then it turned into an obsession. I don't do it as much as I used to. Living in the South doesn't afford me to many trout fishing opportunities and tying patterns for warm or salt water species has yet to float my boat. Still enjoy it on the rare occasion I have time.
When I was in the 8th grade, we moved to another school district, and I met this kid that was as into fishing as I was. For his 14th birthday(I think) he received a DIY fly tying kit with all sorts of colors and feathers and whatnot. We spent some two weeks tying all of the materials in that kit and I decided to mimic one of my favorite bass lures, which was a brown and chartreuse(more green than yellow) fish getter. So, I tied a brown feather, with some chartreuse material and added both a small lead bead, and a floating red bead for the head, so to speak. I used that self tied fly and caught numerous fish with that thing, until one day, I hooked into something big, and my line snapped, I was pissed big time. The dumb thing is, about two weeks later, I lost my Rapala lure also when my line snapped and I looked everywhere for a replacement, but couldn't find one anywhere. UGH. Tying flies is a pretty cool hobby.

When I was in the 8th grade, we moved to another school district, and I met this kid that was as into fishing as I was. For his 14th birthday(I think) he received a DIY fly tying kit with all sorts of colors and feathers and whatnot. We spent some two weeks tying all of the materials in that kit and I decided to mimic one of my favorite bass lures, which was a brown and chartreuse(more green than yellow) fish getter. So, I tied a brown feather, with some chartreuse material and added both a small lead bead, and a floating red bead for the head, so to speak. I used that self tied fly and caught numerous fish with that thing, until one day, I hooked into something big, and my line snapped, I was pissed big time. The dumb thing is, about two weeks later, I lost my Rapala lure also when my line snapped and I looked everywhere for a replacement, but couldn't find one anywhere. UGH. Tying flies is a pretty cool hobby.

I had a cousin that was 20 years older than I was who grew up in Wyoming fly fishing. He was the first person I'd ever seen fly fishing when my dad and I went out with him one day on the Blue River in Colorado. I was 11 or 12 at the time and my dad was a spin fisherman and always did very well, but the grace and mental aspect of the sport of fly fishing fascinated me immediately. I started asking questions and my cousin was more than happy to share. When we dropped him off at his house he took me into his fly tying room and I was 'hooked'. It was a 400 square foot area of his finished basement that had as much fly tying materials and most of the stores you'll see. Skins, feathers, thread, hooks, exotic looking bird capes and boxes and boxes of different patterns of flies of every conceivable size, color, shape and design. He sat down at his desk and tied a pattern called a 'Royal Humpy' in a few minutes and it was over for me. Other than the impossible to resist attraction to women that started a few years later, I've never been so consumed with wanting to learn, improve and perfect the craft. I don't think I ever reached his skill level on the vise or the river, but I still enjoyed it. A lot.

IMG_4314.jpg

Same Bonsai, two years later.

It outgrew it's previous pot and is starting to get a really thick trunk.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back