• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Off season hypothetical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoREDo

REDo posts matter!!!
10 Year Member
Lets say I win the Mega millions on tuesday and have pretty much unlimited financial resources for living. It just so happens that my son is a 5* QB and coveted by everyone in the college football world. We are both Husker fans and he had planned on going there all along on scholarship. Can I pay his way through school and let Nebraska give his scholarship to another player making him a theoretical walkon or is this some sort of violation of the rules?:confused:

I can't see the NCAA requiring you to accept a scholarship if you don't choose to. Also, how could they justify that you didn't take it to allow an extra roster scholarship for a friend or whatever. The NCAA is sketchy in so many ways, so I guess it wouldn't be surprising if they required you to accept a scholarship and not being able to just walk on...

Isnt Gray Shirting a version of this scenario?

Absolutely. There are no rules against turning down a scholarship.

True, but its only because I am immediately related that I can pay his way, right? What about a nephew or cousin? Could I pay their way? At what point is it a violation do you think?

True, but its only because I am immediately related that I can pay his way, right? What about a nephew or cousin? Could I pay their way? At what point is it a violation do you think?

I am not sure, but I don't think so. As long as you don't provide him with extra benefits, I think you could pay his way. My understanding of the rules is that you cannot provide a benefit that would not be available to a "regular" student. Relatives pay the college costs of students all of the time. While I would not stake my life on this response, I don't see this as being any different than a rich uncle paying the college costs for his niece or nephew.

why not put the Cotton brothers on Walk on status as dad gets a good break on tuition or just pay him more and free up 2 that way

Cassidy was just put on a scholarship so it must be possible. IIRC the comment on the Cotton brothers was that they deserved the scholarship and maybe doing that keeps the NCAA at bay with investigating.

I think the closer the relative the better and if you paid for a number of relatives that would help as well. Not an expert, however.

I think when you get to 20th cousins grand-uncles I'm related to some pretty good football players.

Lets say I win the Mega millions on tuesday and have pretty much unlimited financial resources for living. It just so happens that my son is a 5* QB and coveted by everyone in the college football world. We are both Husker fans and he had planned on going there all along on scholarship. Can I pay his way through school and let Nebraska give his scholarship to another player making him a theoretical walkon or is this some sort of violation of the rules?:confused:

Sure could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back