• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

O-Line Depth Chart

Intrigues me for a lot of reasons. The first is the fact that a guy who has played zero FBS snaps is penciled in so either they think he’s unreal despite having zero offers, or Jurgens and Farniok looked terrible. Additionally, pencilling in the guy who was clearly no better than 3rd string based on who he was playing with to start over guys his same age means we must have had terrible days from who we are planning to rely on there.

Jurgens looks like a project to me if I’m honest. If he’s starting this fall, I’m concerned.

That's a good observation about Jurgens being able to pull when he's uncovered. You brought an idea to my mind that could explain some of what the coaching staff is thinking, or it could reflect that I hit my head way too many times as a child: What if the staff is flirting with the idea of platooning the Center? It isn't as crazy in a shotgun-centered offense as it would be with a QB under center taking snaps. If Jurgens can play Center against teams that predominantly run 4-man fronts, he will open up all sorts of options in the running game at the perimeter; if we put someone more hefty at Center against teams that predominantly run 3-man fronts, the Center won't be pulling much anyway as he'll be tied up with the NG. We can use a smaller, quicker Center (Jurgens or Farniok) when that is needed, and we can use a bigger, stronger Center (Forbes or Miller) when that would be better.

It's just a thought, but it makes a lot of sense when I think about it.

I have to believe that would be ground breaking if they "pull" it off.

Wegener and Forbes penciled in at center by some people after the spring is interesting.
Not sure if your comments were directed to me but I created the "5" based solely on what was shown in the spring game. Placed Forbes as #1 at center merely based on the fact that he played more series with the 1s than Jurgens. Of course my projected "5" was for the start of fall ball, not the starters. IMO the entire crew fighting for the center position are projects.

Depends on who has tickets. @Smoker cam attest to folks sticking around the tailgate instead of going to the stadium. I’d do that if I was local, but coming in from South Carolina is a fur piece to travel for a beer.

Whereabouts in SC, Crab? I’m in Columbia.. we can get together and have our own tailgate perhaps

Not sure if your comments were directed to me but I created the "5" based solely on what was shown in the spring game. Placed Forbes as #1 at center merely based on the fact that he played more series with the 1s than Jurgens. Of course my projected "5" was for the start of fall ball, not the starters. IMO the entire crew fighting for the center position are projects.

Im in the same boat and it bothers me. It also looks like more than a one year project. Not having a workable solution at center for two years won’t lend itself to playing winning football.

My concern is less about pulling when uncovered and more about being blown off the ball like Conrad was before Farmer replaced him. This is B1G football. We're going against a number of high caliber NTs next season and we need a plug. Maybe I'm wrong about A J Forbes, but IIRC he stayed his ground consistently whereas Will Farniok and Cam Jurgens weren't very consistent. And having Will at center just makes me feel like it's a consolation prize or something. The guy is not ready. Fall ball is a long ways away. The competition doesn't end until the first game.

Before people dismiss Wegener, look at his highlights. The guy is a bull.
https://www.omaha.com/video/sports/...deo_6e5d8315-7f3d-5c0f-9aea-7ce634328a38.html
https://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/iowa/algona/algona-high-school1/joshua-wegener

Last edited:
My concern is less about pulling when uncovered and more about being blown off the ball like Conrad was before Farmer replaced him. This is B1G football. We're going against a number of high caliber NTs next season and we need a plug. Maybe I'm wrong about A J Forbes, but IIRC he stayed his ground consistently whereas Will Farniok and Cam Jurgens weren't very consistent. And having Will at center just makes me feel like it's a consolation prize or something. The guy is not ready. Fall ball is a long ways away. The competition doesn't end until the first game.

https://www.omaha.com/video/sports/...deo_6e5d8315-7f3d-5c0f-9aea-7ce634328a38.html
https://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/iowa/algona/algona-high-school1/joshua-wegener

In retrospect, my comments about Forbes had more to do with his time at guard. Wegener, I knew nothing about until I read the link and watched his video. He has serious potential, but I'm still concerned if he's our starter this fall.

You're right about fall ball being a long way off. A lot can happen over the summer and fall practice, but I still don't feel good about the position. We're likely to see some very rocky moments this fall in the middle.

Jurgens looks like a project to me if I’m honest. If he’s starting this fall, I’m concerned.
Not directed at any individual, just interesting to me. As you guys have mentioned, and as i've talked about on here a ton, Jurgens being injured the past 2-3 years, switching positions to something he's never played, and needing to put on 50 pounds to start would be the biggest underdog victory story I can think of. Tough to call him an underdog when i've had a couple coaches tell me he's their guess to start at center, but you get what i'm saying. Farniok and him are a year away IMO. Bland was so crucial and it fell on its face with that recruitment. So now we are relying on 3 RS freshmen, or a JUCO transfer that had zero FBS offers, at what could be the most important position besides QB on offense.

My glass is half full is that Frosts offense can really gameplan to help deficiencies at certain positions (Chinander will need to be good there too), but it certainly limits your playbook when you have to gameplan around one of your own guys. That said, we have a highly rated Farniok, a former 4 star (I know not at center), the highly thought of walk-on, and then a JUCO guy battling it out to help. We will get it taken care of.

The ncsasports video is new to me. It’s good to see him driving guys and releasing to the second level. The CC videos I watched only had him in pass protection. He is extremely aggressive in those videos and attacks rushers instead of catching them. Just thought it was odd that his CC videos didn’t show him run blocking and was concerned he had a hiccup in his giddyup.

Was curious to see what Forbes turned down in order to come here and the OWH reports offers from "Air Force, Augustana, Concordia-St. Paul, Emporia State, Minnesota State, Minnesota State — Moorhead, Northwest Missouri State, Seton Hill, Sioux Falls, UNK and Wayne State. " and supposedly Iowa had him out for a visit, but didn't offer. Those aren't B10 type offers, but there a nice set for a walk on, and I take it as a nice credit that Air Force offered. I'll take walk ons with that kind of offer list all day

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back