• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

O-Line Depth Chart

Thank you. That is kind-of/sort-of the picture that formed in my head during discussions back when he committed. A good young man with heart and desire but maybe lacking in some key areas of ability. Hopefully he can provide some leadership for the center position and raise the level of competition.

There is a reason why he is walking on at Nebraska after going JUCO and not getting at least a scholarship offer from a smaller D-1 program.

Using formatting as above. My guesses come fall...

[LT] 76 Brenden Jaimes / Broc Bando / Matt Sichterman
[LG] 75 – Broc Bando / Boe Wilson / Desmond Bland or Trent Hixson
[C] 52 – Joshua Wegener / A J Forbes
[RG] 56 – Matt Farniok / Boe Wilson / Desmond Bland or Trent Hixson
[RT] 71 – Christian Gaylord / Broc Bando / Matt Sichterman

Scrubs: Will Farniok, Cam Jurgens, Hunter Miller, Michael Lynn, Bryce Benhart, John Raridon, Jimmy Fritzsche, Colin Shefke, Mitchell Balenger

Out of the scrubs, we might have 2-3 that could break into the lineup. Various reasons would keep them in clean up duty. Some are liabilities, like Raridon. He's one that looks like he's got an issue with his slow response time that may be non-football related. It's a shame, because he has the size. Will and Cam need physical development only S&C can fix. We got some under 250 pound guys that maybe should look to play other positions. And we got some great looking underclassmen that just need to learn through overall development.

Honestly, we need to improve our short yardage drive game. It would be nice the best five drive blockers on the team (bodies from both sides of the ball) go in for those critical plays.

For someone that seems to have a decent knowledge of the X and 0 end of the game you certainly come up with some odd things.

Of the starters you have for the first game only 1 is starting in the place they were at during the spring game. You got a JUCO walk on starting at center that isn't even on campus. You got a guy starting at LG that has never played the spot. You got a guy that started 8 games last year not playing at all. And you have a career back up taking over for the starter at right tackle.

Were you drinking when you put this up.

For someone that seems to have a decent knowledge of the X and 0 end of the game you certainly come up with some odd things.

Of the starters you have for the first game only 1 is starting in the place they were at during the spring game. You got a JUCO walk on starting at center that isn't even on campus. You got a guy starting at LG that has never played the spot. You got a guy that started 8 games last year not playing at all. And you have a career back up taking over for the starter at right tackle.

Were you drinking when you put this up.
I concur. Walked away scratching my head after that one, but didnt have the energy to write it all down. Lol. Thank you.

One other thing about the offensive line is that I noticed Sichterman was playing a lot of RG in the spring game. And several instances he was actually matched up with the senior Daniels. I really liked what I saw especially from a strength perspective. There were a couple of instances where he punched Daniel so hard, it pushed him back 5 yards into the linebackers. There were also a couple of times he was a little lost in space, but I was encouraged.

Last edited:
In my eyes:
Wegener = Marc Pelini

I don't think he's Pelini. Yes, he's small, but he's a much more athletic and powerful player. Think Caputo instead. That's not a bad thing.

In any case, Wegener is a 3 to play 2 guy, and will be getting academic scholarships and aid this year as a walk-on. He's not showing up until summer to maximize what he can get. My guess is that he's not playing this year unless all of the other options are bad.. I mean worst case can happen, but I think it's unlikely

Jurgens - size mostly and staying healthy - he's the guy they want though. Can he show up at 300 lbs?
Forbes - listed at just a bit bigger than Jurgens but looks bigger to my eyes. inexperienced, but a guy who looks to maul a bit and be athletic (like Hixson, the coaches seem to love his attitude)
Farniok - guess I see him as a backup, but he can play a bit
Miller - didn't hear as much about him this year (maybe Forbes slid ahead)
Hixson - would we move him if things were bad enough above? I don't think we need to, but maybe
Bland - would be hard to get him up to speed even if he gets here soon
Wegener - honestly, I see him as a RS this year.

I get the concerns, but I also have some faith in Austin, Duval and Ellis to get these guys where they need to be. We don't have an automatic starter, but there are at least 3 guys there that can be pretty good and maybe better than pretty good longer term

With the second year in the offense and what I think is an upgrade over Foster at LG, I think we'll have a better line this year. Lots of time before now and first game

Last edited:

Scrubs: Will Farniok, Cam Jurgens, Hunter Miller, Michael Lynn, Bryce Benhart, John Raridon, Jimmy Fritzsche, Colin Shefke, Mitchell Balenger

Out of the scrubs, we might have 2-3 that could break into the lineup. Various reasons would keep them in clean up duty. Some are liabilities, like Raridon. He's one that looks like he's got an issue with his slow response time that may be non-football related. It's a shame, because he has the size. Will and Cam need physical development only S&C can fix. We got some under 250 pound guys that maybe should look to play other positions. And we got some great looking underclassmen that just need to learn through overall development.

Honestly, we need to improve our short yardage drive game. It would be nice the best five drive blockers on the team (bodies from both sides of the ball) go in for those critical plays.

Curious as to why you list Wilson as #2 guard. And moved Farniok inside. I haven’t seen enough from Gaylord for me to think it would work.

Good stuff as always OHW!

Not sure that I would use 'cavalry' to describe an OL! Having just finished "Sheridan's Lieutenants" last nigh though, if our OL have the punch of Lil' Phil's Army of the Shenandoah I'll take it!

Yup and I had a tough time typing "cavalry" in terms of O-Line help when they're all incoming freshmen.

As of now, Wegener isn't listed on the Husker's roster so I'm not sure where the staff stands with him.

Why add this part? Your argument is solid enough that you don't need the personal dig. It took away from what you're saying.

I’ll admit, reading @MadRat stuff sometimes is puzzling. I too reacted poorly to some of his early posts and that’s on me. My apologies to him.

Some of it is his writing style is hard(er) to read than others and he does have some odd opinions about things that he’s been adamant about on occasion, as have we all. I took that for trolling at first, but it’s just his style. I’m sure we’ll continue to disagree on some things and that’s fine. Healthy in fact.

Hixson way too low. Bando way too high. Bland shouldn't be on the list and if Wilson isn't a starter, he is hurt.

One thing to remember is SF wants a center that can pull when uncovered. That is probably the main reason Jurgens is regarded as being the guy if he can add the weight and strength. Not having him on the depth chart at all is a mistake. He may not start, but he will be given every chance.

I don't think he's Pelini. Yes, he's small, but he's a much more athletic and powerful player. Think Caputo instead. That's not a bad thing.

In any case, Wegener is a 3 to play 2 guy, and will be getting academic scholarships and aid this year as a walk-on. He's not showing up until summer to maximize what he can get. My guess is that he's not playing this year unless all of the other options are bad.. I mean worst case can happen, but I think it's unlikely

Jurgens - size mostly and staying healthy - he's the guy they want though. Can he show up at 300 lbs?
Forbes - listed at just a bit bigger than Jurgens but looks bigger to my eyes. inexperienced, but a guy who looks to maul a bit and be athletic (like Hixson, the coaches seem to love his attitude)
Farniok - guess I see him as a backup, but he can play a bit
Miller - didn't hear as much about him this year (maybe Forbes slid ahead)
Hixson - would we move him if things were bad enough above? I don't think we need to, but maybe
Bland - would be hard to get him up to speed even if he gets here soon
Wegener - honestly, I see him as a RS this year.

I get the concerns, but I also have some faith in Austin, Duval and Ellis to get these guys where they need to be. We don't have an automatic starter, but there are at least 3 guys there that can be pretty good and maybe better than pretty good longer term

With the second year in the offense and what I think is an upgrade over Foster at LG, I think we'll have a better line this year. Lots of time before now and first game
I hope you're right about the Caputo comparison. I see an effort kid with a limited skill set and I characterize him as a decent athlete...no more than that....all the while playing undersized. And I'm curious to see how much more he can add to that frame. I wish the kid the best and I truly hope I'm wrong. I just dont see him as our solution at center today, tomorrow, or during the season. Unfortunately, It is a waiting game for Jurgens to develop both mentally and physically.

Last edited:
I’ll admit, reading @MadRat stuff sometimes is puzzling. I too reacted poorly to some of his early posts and that’s on me. My apologies to him.

Some of it is his writing style is hard(er) to read than others and he does have some odd opinions about things that he’s been adamant about on occasion, as have we all. I took that for trolling at first, but it’s just his style. I’m sure we’ll continue to disagree on some things and that’s fine. Healthy in fact.

OK, maybe it was a dig, but it was minor compared to some crap I see on this board. I have been reading MadRat's stuff for years and sometimes it is really off the wall. He doesn't post all the time. You won't see him posting for weeks on end and then you see something. He can be very insightful a lot of times. I mean that as a compliment. Then he posts this kind of stuff that just seems bizarre.

OK, maybe it was a dig, but it was minor compared to some crap I see on this board. I have been reading MadRat's stuff for years and sometimes it is really off the wall. He doesn't post all the time. You won't see him posting for weeks on end and then you see something. He can be very insightful a lot of times. I mean that as a compliment. Then he posts this kind of stuff that just seems bizarre.

I get it. It’s often hard to judge intent when reading things on here and his content is no different. I agree with him far less frequently that say *** or MABC, but he’ll still throw stuff out once in a while that makes sense. I don’t understand 25% +/- of the content of any off his posts, but again I think that’s just text and how people write and think versus how we read and interpret. I’d imagine if we all shot the crap about football at a tailgate, we’d all make more sense to each other. Most of us anyway.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back