• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

O-Line Depth Chart

One Hit Wonder

Recruit
2 Year Member
One of the concerns going into fall ball will be the O-Line. I do believe the depth is better today than it was last year at this time. But the questions are:

1) “Will the OL be as effective as or more effective than the 2018 version?”
2) “Who’s the guy at Center?”

In the spring game, the Red Team had the ball for seven series in the first half. Jaimes (LT), Hixson (LG) and M. Farniok (RT) played all seven series and Wilson (RG) was in for five series. AJ Forbes lined up at Center for four series and Right Guard for two series and Jurgens was in for three series at Center.

With that said, I think this is a reasonable depth chart going into fall ball (not Game 1).

1st Team
[LT] 76 – B. Jaimes
[LG] 75 – T. Hixson
[C] 52 – AJ Forbes
[RG] 56 – B. Wilson
[RT] 71 – M. Farniok

2nd Team
[LT] 73 – B. Bando
[LG] 50 – J. Raridon
[C] 51 – C. Jurgens or 68 – W. Farniok
[RG] 70 – M. Sichterman
[RT] 65 – C. Gaylord

Although I said the depth is better today than it was last year, they need help. The big message we hear for the RBs is “The cavalry is coming!” So, can Bryce Benhart be the offensive line’s version of the cavalry? Or, what about Matthew Anderson, Ethan Piper, Michael Lynn or Jimmy Fritzsche? I certainly hope so because, as been the case for the first two years of the Frost Regime, “We need the dudes.”

One of the concerns going into fall ball will be the O-Line. I do believe the depth is better today than it was last year at this time. But the questions are:

In the spring game, the Red Team had the ball for seven series in the first half. Jaimes (LT), Hixson (LG) and M. Farniok (RT) played all seven series and Wilson (RG) was in for five series. AJ Forbes lined up at Center for four series and Right Guard for two series and Jurgens was in for three series at Center.

With that said, I think this is a reasonable depth chart going into fall ball (not Game 1).

1st Team
[LT] 76 – B. Jaimes
[LG] 75 – T. Hixson
[C] 52 – AJ Forbes
[RG] 56 – B. Wilson
[RT] 71 – M. Farniok

2nd Team
[LT] 73 – B. Bando
[LG] 50 – J. Raridon
[RG] 70 – M. Sichterman
[RT] 65 – C. Gaylord

Although I said the depth is better today than it was last year, they need help. The big message we hear for the RBs is “The cavalry is coming!” So, can Bryce Benhart be the offensive line’s version of the cavalry? Or, what about Matthew Anderson, Ethan Piper, Michael Lynn or Jimmy Fritzsche? I certainly hope so because, as been the case for the first two years of the Frost Regime, “We need the dudes.”

I think you're close. I think only Benhart will be in the mix to play as a true frosh, and I think Piper will be on the DL still, but can keep an open mind on that.

Center's the big question. the coaches love Jurgens and want him to be the guy this year, but he's been injured and he's still small for the Big Ten. Forbes is raw, but I like his quickness and force he brings. If his footwork improves and he stays lower, he can be pretty good even this year. Farniok's looking pretty good also, but there's no doubt the centers we have look to be behind the older Daniels right now, and we're going to see guys like that at NT in the B10.

Hixson's not a fully polished product either, but he looks the part to me in a lot of ways and have heard he is improving a lot with his reps. To me, he has the frame, size and athletic ability to keep improving quite a bit.

Wild-card is moving M.Farniok to guard. I don't see it, but if Hixson doesn't improve or Center needs us to move him to center or who knows, AND Benhart really impresses along with Gaylord showing consistency, it could happen. Just have to hope center solidifies and a lot of the hypothetical are a lot easier to take.

LT] 76 – B. Jaimes; Bando
[LG] 75 – T. Hixson / Forbes; Raridon
[C] 52 – Jurgens/AJ Forbes; W. Farniok/Miller
[RG] 56 – B. Wilson; Forbes
[RT] 71 – M. Farniok; Gaylord / Benhart (maybe they don't publish him here, but I think they have him in mind already)

I admit I'm spitballing here as there's a whole lot of time before fall camp starts. A whole lot can go right and go wrong between now and the first game!

Hasn’t Jurgens been in with the 1st group most often at center this spring?
plenty of athleticism, just not sure the bone size of his frame is large enough for that position. how will he do against the biggest of the big. will the bullrush push him back onto martinez's feet(again). negative pondering?

Jurgens is going to be given every chance this fall to win the starting job at center. They really like what they have with him and like his long term prospects at the position. I wouldn't worry too much about being too small. He will most likely put on another 10lbs before camp starts which will put him at around 295.

I think your starters are
Jaimes
Hixon
Jurgens
Wilson
M. Farniok

The thing that is really nice is that I think you have a little depth.

plenty of athleticism, just not sure the bone size of his frame is large enough for that position. how will he do against the biggest of the big. will the bullrush push him back onto martinez's feet(again). negative pondering?

He’s facing a couple of 320-330 pounders in practice in the Daniels boys - hoping coaches are seeing enough from him to at least think the experiment is worth continuing.

Good topic. With HCSF's coaching history we can have hope that his abilities will help with question marks in the skill positions. Whether or not the offense is good, great or record setting really depends on the quality of the o-line and how well they learn to play together. I would fully expect the o-line to be significantly better this year. The returning players will have had 2 Springs and 2 Falls to understand the system. There is also a full season of game film to study how blocking schemes were successful last year and how/why play improved after Farmer moved to center. I'm stretching my positivity a little thin here but it seems that as the o-line stories roll out there seems to be someone new in the mix. To the extent that this may be true my glass half full gut reaction is that linemen are developing and their efforts need to be rewarded by calling them out.

I know the coaches are really high on Jurgens at center. He will put some weight on this summer but I'm not sure he can put it all together to take over the position in Fall. If Jurgens works his way in the starting lineup this year it will probably be later in the season after he has proven himself in relief of the starter.

The main reason why I have this team at 7-5 in 2019, despite the favorable schedule is the lack of experience and depth at linebacker and safety and even more so, the offensive line. I think there are struggles ahead for this team in the A gap and I dont see the "cavalry" of incoming freshmen...even Benhart, playing a big role in 2019. All those guys are in need of at least 1 year in the weight room before contending (maybe, with the exception of Benhart due to the lack of depth) for a starting job. If Benhart starts, I see that almost as a bad thing as that means the team needs Farniok to slide down to guard a year earlier than desired as opposed to doing that in 2020 when Benhart would be ready to take the reigns. I'm just hoping Hixson steps up and we can get moderate success out of the center position this year. Expecting anything more would be a stretch in my opinion.

Last edited:
Good stuff as always OHW!

1st Team
[LT] 76 – B. Jaimes
[LG] 75 – T. Hixson
[C] 52 – AJ Forbes
[RG] 56 – B. Wilson
[RT] 71 – M. Farniok

2nd Team
[LT] 73 – B. Bando
[LG] 50 – J. Raridon
[RG] 70 – M. Sichterman
[RT] 65 – C. Gaylord

Not sure that I would use 'cavalry' to describe an OL! Having just finished "Sheridan's Lieutenants" last nigh though, if our OL have the punch of Lil' Phil's Army of the Shenandoah I'll take it!

Using formatting as above. My guesses come fall...

[LT] 76 Brenden Jaimes / Broc Bando / Matt Sichterman
[LG] 75 – Broc Bando / Boe Wilson / Desmond Bland or Trent Hixson
[C] 52 – Joshua Wegener / A J Forbes
[RG] 56 – Matt Farniok / Boe Wilson / Desmond Bland or Trent Hixson
[RT] 71 – Christian Gaylord / Broc Bando / Matt Sichterman

Scrubs: Will Farniok, Cam Jurgens, Hunter Miller, Michael Lynn, Bryce Benhart, John Raridon, Jimmy Fritzsche, Colin Shefke, Mitchell Balenger

Out of the scrubs, we might have 2-3 that could break into the lineup. Various reasons would keep them in clean up duty. Some are liabilities, like Raridon. He's one that looks like he's got an issue with his slow response time that may be non-football related. It's a shame, because he has the size. Will and Cam need physical development only S&C can fix. We got some under 250 pound guys that maybe should look to play other positions. And we got some great looking underclassmen that just need to learn through overall development.

Honestly, we need to improve our short yardage drive game. It would be nice the best five drive blockers on the team (bodies from both sides of the ball) go in for those critical plays.

Last edited:

Using formatting as above. My guesses come fall...

[C] 52 – Joshua Wegener / A J Forbes
This is the first time I have seen Wegener penciled in as a starter. I didn't think he was on campus yet. I know when he committed there were concerns about his ability and the only game film that I saw of him he had good pocket pass protection but I didn't see him run block. From what little I know about him he is all heart. Can you share your thoughts on his chances to be in the mix this year?

Remove Bland.
But if he did come, I'd venture to guess he would be earmarked for center.

This is the first time I have seen Wegener penciled in as a starter. I didn't think he was on campus yet. I know when he committed there were concerns about his ability and the only game film that I saw of him he had good pocket pass protection but I didn't see him run block. From what little I know about him he is all heart. Can you share your thoughts on his chances to be in the mix this year?

In my eyes:
Wegener = Marc Pelini

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back