• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Numbers Don't Always Tell the Whole Story

Bigger Ed

XL Cranial Shield w/ Auxiliary Vision Enhancement
5 Year Member
From the World-Herald,
NU’s scanned ticket numbers for the kickoff against the Badgers registered at 46,613 — 8,225 fewer than the previous low of 54,838 for the frigid 2018 Illinois game. The 2022 Minnesota game — at 57,730 — became the third game to have fewer than 60,000 scanned tickets since the World-Herald started charting the totals.
Official attendance at the Wisconsin game was 86,068, a difference of 39,455 from the number of scanned tickets. NU claimed an attendance of 86,284 at the Minnesota game, a difference of 28,554.
They differ significantly from official attendance figures — routinely in the upper 80,000s — in part because scanned ticket data doesn’t include media, players, coaches, support staff, concession workers and others who might be included in the announced attendance.
This is why it's hard to take the sellout streak seriously. Media, players, coaches, etc., are not attendees, they are participants. Roughly 45% of people claimed as attendees [at the Wisconsin geam] didn't have to buy a ticket!

Last edited:

The article says that part of the mismatch between announced attendance and scanned tickets can be attributed to "media, players, coaches, support staff, and concession workers" who don't have scanned tickets.

Concession workers and support staff number about 2,000 on game day (among them 1,200 concession workers, 500 ticket takers/ushers/security).

There are about 250 media members and let's throw out an impossibly large number for players, coaches and admins at 2,000. This assumes every coach, staff member, admin and student athlete on campus is both going to the game and getting in with some kind of credential vs. a scanned ticket.

Add them up and you get 4,250 people. The mismatch for the UW game is 35,000. I've never seen the stadium look 2/3 full in the first half of game. Someone smarter than me make the math make sense.

Last edited:

The article says that part of the mismatch between announced attendance and scanned tickets can be attributed to "media, players, coaches, support staff, and concession workers" who don't have scanned tickets.

Add them up and you get 4,250 people. The mismatch for the UW game is 35,000. I've never seen the stadium look 2/3 full in the first half of game. Someone smarter than me make the math make sense.
You mean it looks like it's closer to full, or closer to empty? Because, with the exception of the upper rows of the student section, it's always looked pretty full to me in the first half. A couple games this year actually looked more full in the 2nd half.

You mean it looks like it's closer to full, or closer to empty? Because, with the exception of the upper rows of the student section, it's always looked pretty full to me in the first half. A couple games this year actually looked more full in the 2nd half.

Closer to full. I've never seen the stadium look -30,000 fans with the exception of a few 4th quarter mass exits (e.g. Callahan 2007, Riley 2017).

From the World-Herald,

Roughly 45% of people claimed as attendees [at the Wisconsin geam] didn't have to buy a ticket!

Uncertain what you are saying here.

Couldn't many of those tickets been purchased by season ticket holders, or anyone else who purchased a ticket in advance, who originally intended to go to the game, but later decided to not go (because of weather, futility, or any reason) and simply was forced to "eat" the ticket?

From the World-Herald,

Official attendance at the Wisconsin game was 86,068, a difference of 39,455 from the number of scanned tickets. NU claimed an attendance of 86,284 at the Minnesota game, a difference of 28,554.

This is why it's hard to take the sellout streak seriously. Media, players, coaches, etc., are not attendees, they are participants. Roughly 45% of people claimed as attendees [at the Wisconsin geam] didn't have to buy a ticket!
Pal, the way this team played at home, nobody should have to buy a ticket.

Counting players, coaches, vendors and media as attendance does not help a game become a sellout. The only thing that matters is that all the tickets get sold. That being said, it's ridiculous and misleading (but common practice) to count all sold tickets as "attendance." That simply is not what the word means. If 30 or 300 or 30,000 ticket holders stayed home, they did not attend -- end of story.

Counting players, coaches, vendors and media as attendance does not help a game become a sellout. All that matters is that all the tickets get sold. That being said, it's ridiculous and misleading (but common practice) to count all sold tickets as "attendance." That simply is not what the word means. If 30,000 ticket holders stayed home, they did not attend -- end of story.

That makes sense. That means roughly 40,000 people purchased tickets for Wisconsin but stayed home.

I still can't figure out how the stadium didn't look dramatically empty if 47% of the ticket holders didn't show up.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back