• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU Wrestling results for 2022 B1G & NCAA championships

View attachment 80063

In the five NCAA finals matches that Penn State didn't win, Nick Suriano claimed 125 pounds for his second title, Yianni Diakomihalis won a third title with a victory at 149 pounds, Ryan Deakin took home gold at 157 pounds, Keegan O'Toole of Missouri claim top honors at 165 pounds and Gable Steveson earned his second heavyweight crown.
I watched that live, that dude is just, just, it's hard to explain. I always love watching wrestlers take off their shoes and leave them in the middle of the mat. One of the neater symbolic gestures of retirement out there.

Lovett had a big NCAA tournament after getting pinned in the B1G tournament. I hope he can keep up the momentum and improvement. Fifth place is a good team finish and higher than what we were ranked. We are going to miss the scoring of our Srs. who will graduate but Labriola, Robb and Lovett coming back will be good. Time for the other wrestlers to step up. Lovett was the first Husker finalist since Tyler Berger in 2019.

Time for our coaching staff to take a closer look to why PSU had FIVE champions and we haven't had one since Bouroughs in 2011!!!?

DETROIT — Behind five national champions, Penn State wrestling is back to its winning ways as a team, clinching the 2022 team title. Penn State officially locked up the top spot in the tournament halfway through Saturday morning’s medal matches, but the championship performances from Roman Bravo-Young, Nick Lee, Carter Starocci, Aaron Brooks and Max Dean on Saturday night added an exclamation mark to the team win.

Penn State brought nine wrestlers to Detroit for the national championship and put six of those wrestlers on the podium.

“The guys did a great job, kept their composure, were the aggressors, went out there and got the takedowns. They were themselves. These big moments obviously when in the team race is on the line, that's a lot, and that's something our guys deal with," head coach Cael Sanderson said after the semifinal round on Friday night.

I'm not a 'die hard' wrestling fan, though I did wrestle a long, long time ago. I enjoyed watching this the last several days. The finals were fun, though you could really tell when the final was a top seed vs. someone who was maybe a 10 or 11 seed. I know upsets can happen but it seems to me that the maybe the top 3-4 guys in each weight class appeared to be, well I guess there is a reason they were top seeds. I also didn't realize some of the guys had a lot of international competition. Olympic medals on a couple of them. That is awesome, glad they have the ability to take an 'olympic redshirt' year if they need to.

Was a lot of good wrestling over the three days. Lots of OT matches throughout. Nebraska showed up and wrestled pretty well overall. More than I can say for my SDSU boys. Wasn't expecting much but thought they had a chance for 2-3 all americans. Lost all the close matches, about half in OT. Hoping for better next year.

Good season recap of the 10 wrestlers that are leaving.

I wasn't following that the below wrestlers were seniors and leaving as the NU Website wrestling roster lists them differently. Must be because of Covid redshirts and normal redshirts.
It shows Parrish, Kelber and Gaona as Sophomores and the other 3 as Juniors.

Tucker Sjomeling (141 pounds) - Jr

Jevon Parrish (149 pounds) - SO

Colton Wolfe (184 pounds) - Jr

Jordan Kelber (133 pounds) - SO

Landon Brown (285 pounds) - Jr

Anthony Gaona (197 pounds) - SO
1648128009040.png

Last edited:
Finishing 5th in the nation is a great result! Congratulations to them!
Yes great work at Nationals. But a 7th place finish in the Big 10 tourney and tieing for 9th, 10th and 11th in regular season dual standings was disappointing. Tough conference though.

Agree with CornNation writer Dylan Guenther on these wrestling awards.

MVP: Ridge Lovett (So.) - 149 pounds

Best Takedown: Ridge Lovett vs. Beau Bartlett (Penn State)

Best Pin: Taylor Venz vs. Abe Assad (Iowa)​

Most Improved: Christian Lance (Sr) - 285 pounds

Best New Starter: Bubba Wilson (R-Fr.) - 165 pounds

Redshirt of the Year: Silas Allred (Fr.) - 197 pounds

"Then in his season highlight, Allred fell behind against Iowa State’s Yonger Bastida but found a way to get the Cyclone on his back for a pinfall win late in the third period.

What’s most impressive about that particular pin is that Bastida went on to finish as an All-American (5th-place) as a redshirt freshman with a 25-7 record. In their dual this season, Bastida knocked off eventual NCAA finalist Jacob Warner of Iowa.

That’s an extremely impressive win for your second collegiate match."

"Nebraska had a total of 12 guys redshirting this past season, and there were more than a few standouts. Nebraska has 133-pound transfer Boo Dryden in redshirt as a junior as he went 14-0 in open tournaments. Freshman Nathan Haas went 8-0 on the year, while Brock Hardy went 5-0. Jagger Condomitti, who will likely compete with Wilson at 165 next year, went 9-1 as a redshirt with four pins."

Last edited:

Huskers Honored at Annual Banquet​

2021-22 Nebraska Wrestling Award Winners
Most Outstanding Wrestler: Ridge Lovett
Most Improved Wrestler: Christian Lance
Redshirt of the Year: Boo Dryden
Most Courageous: Peyton Robb
Tough Together Award: Brock Hardy/Brandyn Van Tassell
Lifter of the Year: Eric Schultz/Christian Lance

Last edited:

Team Performance in the NCAA Round of 12 (2017-22)​

"It's the round of action at the NCAA Championships where dreams are made or crushed. Win and you have the title "All-American" beside your name, for the rest of your life. Lose and you're left with a lifetime of "what could've been." Its the only round of action at the NCAA Tournament with a cool nickname (The bloodround). The NCAA Consolation Round of 12, as it's otherwise known, features some of the most intense action during the entire wrestling season. With that being said, we've decided to look back and find out who has performed best or most often in the Round of 12. Below are team win/loss records for the last five NCAA tournaments, going with most wins to least."

Nebraska: 15-7

Oklahoma State: 14-6

Iowa: 13-8

Minnesota: 10-9

Missouri: 9-9

Arizona State: 9-2

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back