• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU vs. Michigan State Game thread

Huskers shot 33% from the field. Won't get it done... especially since the 2011-12 NU defense is significantly worse than the typical Doc-coached D.

I'm sure if you dig deep enough, you'll find something positive from this one. Having the lead at the halftime break was good, and either NU went cold, or MSU turned it on in the 2nd half.

Final Game thoughts:

A good effort and actually a fun game to watch. There was nothing wrong with the effort today, Michigan State was just the better team. I will take this effort anytime, anywhere. When I see effort like this, I will accept the injury excuse. I would love to see this team with more healthy bodies playing this hard.

First of all, a much better effort from the bench today. Tuesday Night, the team completely melted down every time Doc went to his bench. I think Doc and his staff had some conversations with some guys that probably went something like this, "Hey guy, if you want to see the floor, then don't stink it up when I put you in there. There is an opportunity here, but you have got to be ready to go when I call on you."

In the first half, Doc substituted very liberally and I was impressed that the continuity did not change much regardless of the combinations. Now, I am not saying we are a good offensive team anyway, but there have been times in the past when we had a good offensive flow going only to see it evaporate when the subs start hitting the floor.

The team played with great energy on both ends of the floor in the first half. Perhaps the best I have seen all year. For being such a defensive guru, we have been awfully flat on defense the past year or so. Today, we were successful taking MSU out of their offensive gameplan on several occassions.

We committed only two turnovers in the first half and led 30-29 at halftime. Once again, we did not finish the half well. Otherwise we could have had a bigger lead.

The second half was a different but all too familiar story. We couldn't get a shot off to start the half. We committed six turnovers to start the half and had one of our patented scoring droughts where we rarely even got a shot off (much less a shot too quick in the shot clock). Meanwhile, it seemed like we lost focus defensively and suddenly we were down by 15. Michigan State was scoring on offensive putbacks seemingly at will.

But we came back. Unable to get our half-court offense going (which we were never able to do in the second half). We began playing better defense, rebounded better, and got out on transition. The faster pace helped us to create some opportunities offensively and with some solid offensive rebounding of our own, we were able to cut the lead to 3.

But Michigan State would answer and stretch the lead at one point to 9. But once again, we came back and pulled within 59-55.

We would never score again.

MSU sank their free throws and pulled away.

Too many offensive droughts. Our half court offense in the second half was dreadful. That combined with the early second half defensive lapse was our undoing.

Some player thoughts.

Brandon Richardson played very aggressively and took the ball strong to the bucket. I love it when he plays like this. What happened though to his outside shot?

Spencer played a nice game. Pay no attention to his shot line as he was forced to throw up some tough shots to beat the buzzer or to try and create something late.

Ubel played a pretty solid game for him. Pretty solid job filling in inside with the absence of Diaz.

I will say this for McCray. That guy works his ASS off on the boards. We may have one of the laziest rebounding teams I have ever seen, but he and Walker are the exceptions. I wonder if most Husker fans truly appreciate what a miserable rebounding team we would be without those two players. McCray did a great job of energizing our late run with some solid play.

Walker was solid. If only he was a bit more explosive offensively.

Niemann played quite a bit, particularly in the first half. He looked better on defense and on the boards but is still a huge liability on the offensive end. I wonder what he looked like before the injuries. It's easy to root for him, but he is ugly to watch.

Mike Fox contributed a nice trey. Hilliard played quite a bit in the first half. He gave up an easy layup in the second half and didn't see much action after that. Josiah Moore also saw some time. David Rivers looks like he could be a good one once he settles down a bit. In fact, I like all the three Freshmen. Hopefully they can grow up fast. Trevor Menke also saw some action.

It doesn't get any easier from here. Next up, a trip to Ohio State (notice I didn't say "THE" Ohio State:Biggrin:).

Get well soon, Diaz and Talley. We need ya!

Take care all.

Last edited:
Another monumental season under Doc is underway! BIG was kind enough to give our woeful program two home games to start! So much for that!
Here we go to 0-18? Looks like it. Might be worth the agony and embarrassment, if it gets rid of uknowwho.

Final stats:

Shooting:
MSU 23-50 46.0%; NU 18-50 36.0%

3 point shots:
MSU 3-14 21.4%; NU 7-25 28.0%

Free Throws:
MSU 19-21 90.5%; NU 12-15 80.0%

Rebounding (O/D):
MSU 33 (9/24); NU 21 (6/15)

Turnovers:
MSU 13; NU 12

Steals:
MSU 4; NU 7

Assists:
MSU 10; NU 12

Blocks:
MSU 4; NU 1

Personal fouls:
MSU 15; NU 18

Last edited:

Men's BB gets 6 pages of game day thread, women's Volleyball 18-20.
Put a quality product on the court and maybe people will follow again, sorry time for Doc to go

Nice recap HIO, but none of the 3 freshmen have impressed me on going to be any good, just seems like the rest of players doc has always gotten...they look so overmatched.

0-18 would be pretty impressive...in terms of suckitude....if any squad can pull it off its Docs boys

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back