• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU vs MICHIGAN STATE, Game #30, B1G TOURNAMENT, (L, 64-67), Thu 3/2/23 @ 11:30 am CST on BTN-tv (Game/Recap Thread)

This!

Seven Years In; and the Natives are getting restless. At best we are a middle of the pack, to lower tier of the conference team. But, over the past seven years I've never seen the Lady Huskers Quit fighting in a game (i.e. their motto is: GRIT, NO QUIT LADY HUSKERS). We can beat top half teams now and then (This year is the first season we've Ever defeated Maryland), but not consistently enough to remain in the top tier.

We could have better talent (you can always have better talent), but I believe the larger deficiency is coaching. For just two examples, I'd like to see Alexis Markowski develop more moves around the basket when she is double and triple teamed that might improve her chances of making the play, or kicking it out when there is no chance of a play rather than risking a turn-over. As good as she is (whatever would we do without her), Issie, as well as others seem to miss a couple of easy lay-ups under the basket Each game. Whether it's excitement, or just heat of the game, is this is something that coaching could address.

I am not saying that Coach Amy Williams should be let go, but is anyone else disappointed that in the six months she had to replace Coach Chuck Love her selection was a coach from her sister's coaching tree? I am not denigrating Jesscia Keller, indeed I have seen several positive comments about her; But the question is: Is she the Best Coach that was available for the job and who could enhance our skills, given the six-month search, and likely go-ahead by the AD for the right hire?

Trev faces a dilemma this off season. Are we content to remain a 'middle-of-the-pack' team, as we have been the past seven years, or instigate some changes. The answer may may well impact our ability to recruit top-level talent (thinking Britt Prince). Indeed, To attract top talent, one needs to have the top coaching and development they deserve, and should expect.

We have seen how Coach Hoiberg has revamped his coaching staff; and seen the results on the basketball court this season.

Agree on all.

As to the post play, IMO the biggest question is what's going on with Mendelson? I had visions of the Huskers being able to (eventually) go with a "twin towers" frontcourt at times, featuring Markowski and Mendelson when Issie needed some rest, or Mendelson and Issie when Markowski needed a rest, or give both of them.a rest and play Mendelson and Stewart together.

Mendelson played 1 minute today. Her season high was the 12 minutes she played in the 3 OT game vs. Kansas. She hasn't played more than 9 minutes since the win over Maryland on January 1.

I hope she just wore down because of the back to back seasons. If so they need to have a plan that'll help her withstand the rigors of both volleyball and basketball with no time off in between.

I really don't know what to make of the post play this season. The easy thing would be to blame Goehle, but he's also the guy who coached Kate Cain, and helped Markowski become Freshman of the Year last season. I also think he deserves some credit for Stewart's development.

Trying to look on the bright side, maybe a one and done tournament will make Jaz and Issie angry, and they'll want to complete "unfinished business" next year.

The whole thing involving Coach Love was just weird. It took Nebraska nearly the entire offseason to wrap that up and quietly get him out the door. Until he was officially gone, the Huskers couldn't hire somebody else. Keller wasn't hired until June 6, 2022. I tend to think Amy Williams probably hired the best "available" coach she had familiarity with. By June, the pickings were likely pretty slim

Last edited:

Coley was a top 50 recruit in 2021 class.
Weidner was a top 100 recruit in 2021 class.
Mendelson was a top 50 recruit in 2022 class.
Nissley coming in for 2023 is a top 100 recruit.

Do we know whether Nissley is going to play volleyball, or is she coming to Nebraska to just play basketball?

I hope she just wore down because of the back to back seasons. If so they need to have a plan that'll help her withstand the rigors of both volleyball and basketball with no time off in between.
Trying to look on the bright side, maybe a one and done tournament will make Jaz and Issie angry, and they'll want to complete "unfinished business" next year.

I admire Mendelson playing both sports that she loves. But, I also think there comes a point where she'll need to choose one to excel at or she'll be average at both (either physically worn down or not getting enough focused skill development).

One challenge for Shelley and Bourne - they cannot take NIL money while on student visas. They can make money playing basketball professionally elsewhere. If they have graduated academically, there is really no incentive to stay at Nebraska unless they fell really strongly about unfinished business and are willing to pay to play instead being paid to play elsewhere.

I admire Mendelson playing both sports that she loves. But, I also think there comes a point where she'll need to choose one to excel at or she'll be average at both (either physically worn down or not getting enough focused skill development).

One challenge for Shelley and Bourne - they cannot take NIL money while on student visas. They can make money playing basketball professionally elsewhere. If they have graduated academically, there is really no incentive to stay at Nebraska unless they fell really strongly about unfinished business and are willing to pay to play instead being paid to play elsewhere.
Yeah I agree that Maggie probably can't play both sports to the best of her ability. The first few basketball games she played, she looked really good. But at end of year she was a non factor. Playing basketball she misses on the beach volleyball season which other players are able to improve their game. And volleyball she misses on preseason practice and first part of basketball season. She is a big girl and it takes a toll on her. Basketball needs her more

What I saw this year were nasty inconsistencies. When the team was at their besting shooting, they could play with anyone. But that only showed up a very few times this season. I do hope Jaz and Issie come back for next year. And about those who are constantly injured, I don't know what to make of that issue. Hope they heal well enough to play up to their potential next season.

Yeah I agree that Maggie probably can't play both sports to the best of her ability. The first few basketball games she played, she looked really good. But at end of year she was a non factor. Playing basketball she misses on the beach volleyball season which other players are able to improve their game. And volleyball she misses on preseason practice and first part of basketball season. She is a big girl and it takes a toll on her. Basketball needs her more
Selfishly, yes! Basketball needs her more. But where is she most likely to get the Better coaching (hence more likely to excel because of it); John Cook and his coaching staff, or Amy Williams?

Game Recap

.......eliminating No. 8 Nebraska, 67-64, in the opening game of the second round of the Big Ten Women's Basketball Tournament at the Target Center on Thursday.

As a team, Nebraska knocked down 10-of-28 three-pointers (.357) on the day, but went just 9-of-30 from inside the arc. The Huskers hit 16-of-22 free throws (.727). The Huskers also outworked the Spartans on the glass, 38-33, and won the turnover battle, 20-18, but the Spartans were more efficient from the field. MSU connected on 49 percent (25-51) of its field goals, including 19-of-29 inside the arc, while hitting 6-of-22 threes. The Spartans also sank 11-of-16 free throws.

DeeDee Hagemann led Michigan State with 18 points, while Moira Joiner added 16 points. Kamaria McDaniel put three Spartans in double figures with 12 points.

She hired a coach from her sister's coaching tree? I hadn't heard that. What are the chances that the best coach NU could get is in her sister's coaching tree? How convenient! What a coincidence. Call me skeptical.

I'm not so sure. I think our program has had enough success, possesses enough talent, is in the right conference, and has the facilities and financial resources to make it attractive to any number of top-level assistant coaches interested in furthering their career. It was highly unlikely Coach Love would be welcomed back, and she had a lot of time to put out feelers to gauge interest.

I haven't seen anything about her playing volleyball!

Selfishly, this good news. Coach Cook already has a team thats capable of winning the Big 10 and being a top seed in the NC tournament next season.

I wondered if Logan would play volleyball because she was named Gatorade North Dakota Volleyball Player of the Year for 22-23. I actually think that might be the 2nd time she's won that award. Regardless of which state she's from, winning a Gatorade Player of the Year is hard so she's obviously a very good volleyball player.

I'm not so sure. I think our program has had enough success, possesses enough talent, is in the right conference, and has the facilities and financial resources to make it attractive to any number of top-level assistant coaches interested in furthering their career. It was highly unlikely Coach Love would be welcomed back, and she had a lot of time to put out feelers to gauge interest.

IMO there wasn't any situation in which Love was coming back. Not only do I doubt Amy Williams wanted him back, the University had been successful in keeping that story "on the down low." If he'd come back, that story would have eventually gotten out, especially if the Huskers had a good season and national sports reporters had started covering the team more. The problem is it took the lawyers months to get rid of him. I tend to think he must have challenged it and they had to pay him to go away. If you're an assistant coach looking for a job, I think you're unlikely to wait for the Huskers to have an opening because you don't know when that opening is going to occur. Especially when you get into the summer without a job.

Also, coaching is a really insular businness. Most coaches don't hire the "best candidate," they hire the best candidate they're familiar with. That's why so many assistant coaches usually follow a head coach to a new school.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back