• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU Hires Bill Moos from Washington State: Will Not Change Coaches Mid-Sesaon

like the idea of what you're saying huskerpilk but then I think back at this entire season in whole and I get this punched in the gut feel. another cup of that red stuff might put me over

lots of risk in taking a job like oregon state...career killing potential.

Though it didn't kill Riley's career. Nebraska, however, will. To add, Dennis Erickson went from Oregon State to head coach of the 49ers.

Post-Osborne, Nebraska head coaches have all taken far lesser jobs.

Last edited:
like the idea of what you're saying huskerpilk but then I think back at this entire season in whole and I get this punched in the gut feel. another cup of that red stuff might put me over
That's the trick to being a fan...we get to believe that anything is possible, even in a sea of negativity. And its not like I don't understand all the fans calling for change...I get it. I'm choosing to stay positive because I think its premature to punt on what is happening, even with all its warts and growing pains. Quick fixes are few and far between.

Then...if it all goes south (or more south) I will support whoever takes over. Its just my opinion but I think if the team can get through this year without the axe next year will be exponentially better.

Tennessee and A&M will both be more attractive job opening to any candidate that isn't a Husker alum. They both have all the advantages Nebraska has and they don't have the recruiting disadvantage that we have. Plus, you know, $EC.

I would agree with that, However, that is not exactly working out well for Butch Jones, Sumlin, or Bret Bielema. So, I am really not sure how much that SEC brand can be pushed on a coach because I do not buy that the SEC is a destination coaching conference. Look at every other conference that has produced excellent coaches. The only reputable coach in the SEC that is the constant is Nick Saban (and that is just because he is not an NFL coach).

Tennessee and A&M will both be more attractive job opening to any candidate that isn't a Husker alum. They both have all the advantages Nebraska has and they don't have the recruiting disadvantage that we have. Plus, you know, $EC.

I would agree with that, However, that is not exactly working out well for Butch Jones, Sumlin, or Bret Bielema. So, I am really not sure how much that SEC brand can be pushed on a coach because I do not buy that the SEC is a destination coaching conference. Look at every other conference that has produced excellent coaches. The only reputable coach in the SEC that is the constant is Nick Saban (and that is just because he is not an NFL coach).

I know its not a real popular opinion right now but I think we can beat anyone, including PSU, on the schedule. Wins over Akron and Georgia St have skewed their stats. Iowa by 2? They've got Mich, tOSU and Mich St coming up....they could be 6-3 by the end of that stretch and beat up.

I'm not beyond hoping for 7-5 and with some strides 8-4 is not out of the question. TL is getting better (no where to go but up right?) Going 23-38 303 yards, 2 TDs and no pics against a team who pretty much knew you couldn't run on them showed me something. He also went 17/24 vs Ill without a pic. Speilman, Morgan and Ozigbo are real weapons. The O-line held up pretty well yesterday...giving up 1 sac (admittedly the run game was shut out).

A bye week to get healthy and work on improving and taking 3 or 4 wins into Iowa would do the program a great deal of good.
I've got plenty of cool-aid left if anyone is thirsty. GBR and Mooooos.

I don't think we have the O-line or tight ends to have a reliably good run game against better teams, and my impression is a good bit it of is lack of nasty. I thought going into this season the O-line would determine this teams success and they are the weakest link, imo.

There are bigger problems than just Cavanaugh, but I still think he's the worst coach on the staff.

Last edited:
I don't think we have the O-line or tight ends to have a reliably good run game against better teams, and my impression is a good bit it of is lack of nasty. I thought going into this season the O-line would determine this teams success and they are the weakest link, imo.

There are bigger problems than just Cavanaugh, but I still think he's the worst coach on the staff.
Actually we have the horses, we just dont have the coaches.

I was hoping for somebody younger, who could build something great and then stick around to keep the train on the track.

But having said that, I feel obligated to say.....THE MOOS IS LOOSE!!! :Corn2:
I think Moos's age may actually be a plus, just like I've long argued Riley's was. Nebraska needs a transition out of the clearly bounded factions i our fa base that amplify reactions and guarantee instability. Sure other fan bases fire coaches, but not all of them are partly reverberations of an event that occurred 13 years ago now.

So you hire a guy with a looming sell-by date. It probably helped Moos accept this job that he's near the end of his career so he cant hurt himself. Come in, be a competent football guy, try and set NU up with some decent coaches, be a competent administrator. Maybe in 5 years the factions will be less definable and fans will be happy to go get a real dynamic builder for the future.

I think bringing all those coaches from OSU brought their average is ok and losing aint so bad attitude with them. Bo put his buddy Cotton on the O line and paid for it. How long have we been bitching about the O line? All those line man that came and just cant be all that bad, just badly coached. Even if Moos doesn't fire Riley all those losers from OSU need to go. We need a clean slate.

Watching those guys sleepwalk through the Ohio State tells me all I need to know. Seeing all those piss poor tackles on D tell me the same thing. We need new ideas and new coaching, not the thread bare crap we have been exposed too.

I think bringing all those coaches from OSU brought their average is ok and losing aint so bad attitude with them. Bo put his buddy Cotton on the O line and paid for it. How long have we been bitching about the O line? All those line man that came and just cant be all that bad, just badly coached. Even if Moos doesn't fire Riley all those losers from OSU need to go. We need a clean slate.

Watching those guys sleepwalk through the Ohio State tells me all I need to know. Seeing all those piss poor tackles on D tell me the same thing. We need new ideas and new coaching, not the thread bare crap we have been exposed too.
Cavs and Langs need to look for employment elsewhere, as I think Riley has a good chance of returning next season, barring a 4 or 5 win season.

I think it's pretty unlikely. But by saying he's not going to decide during the season he leaves open the door, and not just as a formality. If it was just a formality, he would go ahead and let him go, or the three involved would issue a joint statement saying Riley is being let go now because blah, blah, blah.

If the team beats the 4 West foes (I wouldn't touch a bet on it, but it's not impossible, obviously) and plays Penn State close, it's going to be hard to justify firing Riley this year, based on that improvement and where they would be positioned - 2nd in the West - going into next year. If waiting is a formality, Moos has just made his life potentially more complicated.

The coaches will understand this is an opening and the players will too. If Riley hasn't lost the team and has the yarbles to coach these guys up, he does have that shot now.
I will be SHOCKED if we win two more games this year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back