• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU Baseball picked 4th in Big 10

FCHusker

#1 Husker Fan
15 Year Member
I saw this on another board. What are your thoughts and feelings on this?? To low? Would you be upset if thats where we ended up??? Sorry if already posted.

It's hard to know exactly what to expect with a new coaching staff (although I am a huge fan of the hires) in a new conference. But given the talent I think is already on the team and the weakness of the conference, I would be disappointed if Nebraska finishes 4th. I may be too optimistic, but I am really excited about the new coaching staff (especially Silva) and I actually expect Nebraska to win the conference this year. Baseball is a very difficult sport to evaluate talent generally and project it to the next level, but Anderson usually had pretty highly rated recruiting classes, so I do believe there is enough talent already on the team. I think the program just needed a new direction and energy, and Erstad certainly brings that. I do think Erstad will turn things around, it is just a matter of when......does it take a few years for Erstad to learn exactly what works best and get his own players in, or does it payoff immediately? I hoping for the latter.

I should be able to walk in and coach this team to at least second place in the conference.

If NU finishes forth, the Erstad hire needs to quickly be reevalutated.

I'm not sure how much talent there is on the team. I realize that everybody blames the coaching for the team's problems over the last few years, but I'm not sure that the recruiting was satisfactory. I will be disappointed with a 4th place finish, but I really have no idea how good this team will be.

Curious as to the source.

4th in the Big Ten is the equivalent of near last in the Big 12.

Most seasons, the Big Ten only has one participant in the field of 64 -- the automatic bid for the conference champ. Last season, it was Illinois with a 4-seed in a regional (lowest possible seed).

Finish 4th in the Big Ten -- and you are nowhere near the NCAA Tournament.

Granted, Mike Anderson didn't leave a lot of talent for Erstad to work with (but still, better than most in the Big Ten). However, Anderson was such a pathetically, horrible, incapable gameday coach (as well as a very poor recruiter) that I have to believe Erstad will put his team in much better position to win games. The fundamentals this team has lacked in recent seasons pointed a finger strongly at the worst coach in NU sports history.

Fourth in one of the nation's weakest baseball conferences would be an abject failure for this squad.

Here's the link to the baseballamerica Big 10 Preview which lists NU 4th...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/season-preview/2012/2612949.html

• Former Nebraska star and No. 1 overall draft pick Darin Erstad takes over as head coach for the Cornhuskers, who move from the Big 12 to the Big Ten. He spent 2011 as a volunteer assistant under former Nebraska coach Mike Anderson, who went 337-196 in nine seasons. Anderson's teams won two Big 12 regular-season titles and made five regionals (including the program's lone College World Series victory in 2005), but failed to qualify for the Big 12 tournament in each of the last three seasons. The Cornhuskers should contend in the Big Ten, especially with Jr. RHP Tom Lemke (2-0, 5.29, 34 IP/27 SO) back at full strength after battling a blood clot in his throwing shoulder last year.

I don't know anything about big 10 baseball, but thinking we will come in and clean up the first year and with a new coach has me leery. Do they even have 12 baseball teams? I hope that Coach E straightens this team out....I personally think it is hard to make a guess now, since I know Nothing about B1G 10 baseball....I feel like I added nothing to this post...sorry :eek:

Bottom line, we should be 1 or 2, will we? I don't know but it will be fun to play a lot of different teams with no preconceived notions. I personally believe that ERSTAD will be a huge plus for the team. So with many of Anderson's talented recruits, he should be able will a few more victories out of them. I think we get a regional spot this year!

Last edited:
I don't know anything about big 10 baseball, but thinking we will come in and clean up the first year and with a new coach has me leery. Do they even have 12 baseball teams? I hope that Coach E straightens this team out....I personally think it is hard to make a guess now, since I know Nothing about B1G 10 baseball....I feel like I added nothing to this post...sorry :eek:

I think only Wisconsin does not have baseball.

I may be too optimistic, but I am really excited about the new coaching staff (especially Silva) and I actually expect Nebraska to win the conference this year.

I couldn't agree more with you on this statement...Silva is going to be the key to immediate success. His track record in college baseball speaks for itself. I would be shocked if our team ERA is not the best in the conference and the best ERA NU has had in the last 5 years. Erstad will generate excitement for the players & fans by coaching aggressively on offense to force the issue and put the pressure on the opposing pitcher and defense.

For reference...the Big 12 was the 3rd best baseball conference and the B1G was the 14th best conference last year. I think that given the strength, or should I say weakness, of the conference it is realistic for fans to expect NU to come in with a new staff & have success in year 1.

For reference...the Big 12 was the 3rd best baseball conference and the B1G was the 14th best conference last year. I think that given the strength, or should I say weakness, of the conference it is realistic for fans to expect NU to come in with a new staff & have success in year 1.

Yep. You can be about the 60th best team in the country and win the Big Ten. As I've said, it's the baseball equivalent of the Sun Belt in football.

Just to add to what NUpipeline94 stated, Nebraska finished the season 30-25 in the #3 conference and a strength of schedule at #57. Illinois (B1G champs) finished 30-27 in the 14th strongest conference and SoS at #126. Further, Nebraska finished the season rated 72 according to Boyd's World.....Illinois was 120. The top B1G team was Mich. St. at 79 (SoS at 152). Even a poor Nebraska team should be competing for the championship.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back