• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU #30 in the ESPN / Bill Connelly Preseason Ranking

Agreed North..... all we have to do is break even in turnovers, and thatd given us 2 more wins last yr, and prob 2 addl wins each of the 2 prior years also..... making that 3 yr in a row of bowl games, with 15 addl practices, for 18-19 and prob 6-7 addl practices last yr. thats 35-40 addl practices weve missed out on... those do make a difference

that changes the local and natl narrative on this team in a huge way

Last edited:

If we beat all the teams that ESPN ranks us higher than, that’s 7 wins. Several more than I think we will get and Frost will have new life.

Well, either his D works out, or hes going to be extra busy,plus the new guys, and thin at rb.
It wont be easy for a regular decent season this year

I just don't think he can replace Hankwitz without a step back in year one.

They've stayed consistent through his tenure in large part because the defense has been so stable. They'll likely struggle this fall.

Agreed North..... all we have to do is break even in turnovers, and thatd given us 2 more wins last yr, and prob 2 addl wins each of the 2 prior years also..... making that 3 yr in a row of bowl games, with 15 addl practices, for 18-19 and prob 6-7 addl practices last yr. thats 35-40 addl practices weve missed out on... those do make a difference

that changes the local and natl narrative on this team in a huge way
The lack of fumble recoveries has gone all the way back to Bo, where overall, were like 70th or 80th ranked on average going back to Bo days, including his years.

I cant just chalk this up to effort, or guys getting to the ball, since theres been plenty of players, like David and Suh since its been going on, and plenty of DCs as well.

If theres a law of averages we should finish in the 20s in recovered fumbles by our D the next ten years just to reach average.

I just don't think he can replace Hankwitz without a step back in year one.

They've stayed consistent through his tenure in large part because the defense has been so stable. They'll likely struggle this fall.
The heart of their D is LBs, and the mastermind was Hankwitz. The continuity will be off.
We get them week 4, not sure theyll be settledin yet

The article is behind a paywall, but someone posted the full list to Reddit (second link).

To avoid reposting an entire article on HuskerMax, I'll just copy over the Big Ten rankings (West in Bold).
  • 4 Ohio State
  • 9 Wisconsin
  • 14 Penn State
  • 16 Iowa
  • 23 Michigan
  • 27 Indiana
  • 30 Nebraska
  • 31 Minnesota
  • 32 Maryland
  • 40 Purdue
  • 59 Michigan State
  • 75 Northwestern
  • 83 Illinois
  • 94 Rutgers

Not sure what Vegas/ESPN knows about Northwestern, but they are falling off a ton in the rankings. I also think Nebraska at #30 overall is way too high given our recent on-field performance. Also looks like almost a dead heat between Hoosiers-Huskers-Terps-Gophers. If history is any indicator, we'll have another slug fest in the trenches for the Big Ten.

The funny thing about rebuilds is that when things finally turn the corner, the long desired success comes quickly and in large quantities. I suspect some of the experts are anticipating that.

Not that it is totally relatable, but our local HS team just went through an ugly 3 year rebuild. But when things took off, it really took off and got better quickly. Went from league doormat to contending for league championship in year 4.

I believe a lot of lofty predictions are based on having a very experienced good 4 year starter at QB. Can AM really deliver this coming season? Well IF AM can have a good season Huskers could have a decent season considering a solid defense and recent transfers at WR and RB imo. However in the words of the old Who tune...
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again, no, no

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back