• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU #30 in the ESPN / Bill Connelly Preseason Ranking

Saw earlier today where Fitz is in on another blue chip QB from the 2018 recruiting cycle. Looks like Ryan Hilinski has pledged his services. Freaking unreal.

Unlike the Clemson transfer who flopped, Hilinski started 11 games as a freshman for South Carolina and put up some decent numbers. And unlike Patrick Ramsey, Hilinski should have three years to play for Northwestern. He was a good get.

They also added a transfer WR from Kansas, who was their top receiver in 2019.

I guess I'm not sold on the SP+ ranking of Northwestern at #75. They found their star RB late last season, and will have plenty of capable talent to fit their offensive scheme. Defensively, I don't think they've ever been bad under Fitzgerald. Sometimes they lose a lot of experience, sometimes they retain it, but that's a system in place much like Wisconsin. Players are developed well there under that system. I don't think there's been a more consistently good team in the West division over the past 10+ years than Northwestern. Wisconsin is probably right with them.

I think the SP+ seems to take into account player losses and retention, but there's so many other factors -- especially when you have a long-time proven coach. Nebraska had a ton of returning experience on offense last season, which is probably why the SP+ formula ranked them #25 going into 2020. How did that work out?

Last edited:
Unlike the Clemson transfer who flopped, Hilinski started 11 games as a freshman for South Carolina and put up some decent numbers. And unlike Patrick Ramsey, Hilinski should have three years to play for Northwestern. He was a good get.

I guess I'm not sold on the SP+ ranking of Northwestern at #75. They found their star RB late last season, and will have plenty of capable talent to fit their offensive scheme. Defensively, I don't think they've ever been bad under Fitzgerald. Sometimes they lose a lot of experience, sometimes they retain it, but that's a system in place much like Wisconsin. Players are developed well there under that system. I don't think there's been a more consistently good team in the West division over the past 10+ years than Northwestern. Wisconsin is probably right with them.

I think the SP+ seems to take into account player losses and retention, but there's so many other factors -- especially when you have a long-time proven coach. Nebraska had a ton of returning experience on offense last season, which is probably why the SP+ formula ranked them #25 going into 2020. How did that work out?
Agreed.
But losing your rb backups, your top three tacklers in LBs,and a gem of a coach in Hankwitz will stress this years team.
They will likely be good, very good for what they have, but some aspects have changed, and they had a larger loss this cycle.

The article is behind a paywall, but someone posted the full list to Reddit (second link).

To avoid reposting an entire article on HuskerMax, I'll just copy over the Big Ten rankings (West in Bold).
  • 4 Ohio State
  • 9 Wisconsin
  • 14 Penn State
  • 16 Iowa
  • 23 Michigan
  • 27 Indiana
  • 30 Nebraska
  • 31 Minnesota
  • 32 Maryland
  • 40 Purdue
  • 59 Michigan State
  • 75 Northwestern
  • 83 Illinois
  • 94 Rutgers

Not sure what Vegas/ESPN knows about Northwestern, but they are falling off a ton in the rankings. I also think Nebraska at #30 overall is way too high given our recent on-field performance. Also looks like almost a dead heat between Hoosiers-Huskers-Terps-Gophers. If history is any indicator, we'll have another slug fest in the trenches for the Big Ten.

Ok so who did we bribe?

Agreed.
But losing your rb backups, your top three tacklers in LBs,and a gem of a coach in Hankwitz will stress this years team.
They will likely be good, very good for what they have, but some aspects have changed, and they had a larger loss this cycle.

I think the loss of their long-time DC is their largest loss -- potentially. They did hire a Raider assistant to take his place, who was the DC for the 49ers four years ago -- and started his career as a grad assistant at Northwestern. So we'll have to see if he fits the bill.

Last edited:

I think the loss of their long-time DC is their largest loss -- potentially. They did hire a Raider assistant to take his place, who was the DC for the 49ers four years ago -- and started his career as a grad assistant at Northwestern. So we'll have to see if he fits the bill.
Someone as good,and as entrenched as he was, changes will cost.
I dont think the new guy will be better to identify better as to putting the right guys in the right places, so at best, it has to come down to change.

How quickly they learn, and all new LBs will be interesting

Great analysis, HW!

1613110343499.png

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back