• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Now is the time to read books

Recently finished "Don't Let Go" by Harlan Coben, that was a fun read. Harlan can definitely weave a tale.

Currently reading a collaboration with James Patterson and Andrew Bourelle called "Texas Ranger" and am about half way through it, so far it's also excellent.

If you are interested in the beginnings of Islam (i.e., the first 100 years) a book by Fred Donner, Muhammad and the Believers provides insights I have never read about before. In the beginning of the movement, the adherents were called Believers and referred to themselves and their compatriots that way. Christian and Jews were welcomed even if they retained their beliefs and rituals, and many occupied high ranking positions among the Believers. The rapid expansion was not fueled, at least initially, to conquer territory or plunder other peoples, but to expand the number of people who heard and adopted the rules that Muhammad received from God. They were doing this because (as was true in many parts of the Mid East in those years), the prophet believed that the Day of Judgment was going to come before he died, and he wanted to be able to meet God and say -- here is a large group of people who are following your laws as you commanded me to tell the world about.

It's a short book and doesn't reflect on present day issues except tangentially. It's fascinating

If you are interested in the beginnings of Islam (i.e., the first 100 years) a book by Fred Donner, Muhammad and the Believers provides insights I have never read about before. In the beginning of the movement, the adherents were called Believers and referred to themselves and their compatriots that way. Christian and Jews were welcomed even if they retained their beliefs and rituals, and many occupied high ranking positions among the Believers. The rapid expansion was not fueled, at least initially, to conquer territory or plunder other peoples, but to expand the number of people who heard and adopted the rules that Muhammad received from God. They were doing this because (as was true in many parts of the Mid East in those years), the prophet believed that the Day of Judgment was going to come before he died, and he wanted to be able to meet God and say -- here is a large group of people who are following your laws as you commanded me to tell the world about.

It's a short book and doesn't reflect on present day issues except tangentially. It's fascinating
I've kind of exhausted my reading on religion(s) but this does sound really interesting. I may just have to try to find a copy.

I'm currently reading Eureka by William Diehl(author of Sharkey's Machine and Primal Fear - turned into movies) and it starts off in the year 1900(well, the prologue is 1945) and goes into WW1. It started slow and I almost gave up on it, but then it just got interesting and I am now up to 1941, so I will see where the story goes from here.

Last edited:
I have recently re read a few of the short stories in Cosmicomics, a set of imaginative short stories about space, the universe, astronomy, etc. Really clever and fun to read and all based on what were the known astronomical facts when he wrote the stories in 1965.
Thee are not graphic novels or superhero stories.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to do any non work related reading. Just too busy.

When I traveled more and spent more time in airports and hotels, it was easy to crank through a book a week. Now I'm lucky if I pick one up at all in a month and I'm having to try to remember what the hell I'd read already.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back