• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Notre Dame to the ACC

Notre Dame is now tied into the ACC's bowl arrangements, too. I wonder how long it'll be before they have a path to the ACC championship game, too.

Basically, they've joined the ACC for all sports, including football, but they're waiting for the B1G and SEC to go to 9 conference games annually and for their TV contract with NBC to expire before making the switch completely. Once each conference is at 9 games, it'll make scheduling difficult for Notre Dame (USC may not want to schedule them anymore, for instance).

So ND is out of any expansion talks with the B1G. That makes me believe we are not heading toward 16 team conferences any time soon. I think 12 may be it. Oh well, not a bad choice for them I guess.

So ND is out of any expansion talks with the B1G. That makes me believe we are not heading toward 16 team conferences any time soon. I think 12 may be it. Oh well, not a bad choice for them I guess.

I don't see any downside for them on this.

I'm not so sure about this... this puts the ACC at 14.5 teams, and I wouldn't be surprised if Notre Dame becomes a full member playing a full football schedule by 2017 or so. At that point, I'd expect member #16 to join as well.

Also, the SEC may well respond to this by simply jumping to 16, so that they can be the first to 16. The ACC jumped in front last time, expanding to 14 and catching everyone by surprise.

Finally, the Big East is almost certainly going to expand their football ranks again. They could easily add BYU to get to 14, and if they can stick together, I'm sure they'd like to get to 16 teams and play semifinals before a CCG. Anything that can get the Big East back into the spotlight, they'll try to take advantage of.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab-...reasure-football-schedule-in-move-to-acc.html

Notre Dame currently must schedule all of its 12 games per year. This drops to seven games with the ACC scheduling the other five. ACC teams will likely be featured during the more challenging dates later in the season. It’s a far easier task.
“People don’t realize how difficult it is,” the source said. “The outlook was very challenging. If the Big Ten does move to a nine-game league schedule down the line, and it could be 10 years from now, can we still count on getting Purdue, Michigan State and Michigan all in a row? And late October and November kept growing tougher.”

Apparently the B1G moving to nine games was a big factor here. Notre Dame didn't want to be left without an ability to schedule opponents in October/November

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back