• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Notes to stadium program staff

fjbfour

Moderator Emeritus
Staff member
Lifetime Member
  1. Please, for the love of everything that is good and right, make the playcaller stop yelling IT'S THIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD on Every. Single. Third. Down. The caller should only do it on third downs of subjective consequence, otherwise it's just exhausting to the crowd. After about six of these in a row, no one is going to get wound up for noise on the 7th yell, we're done with it. Only do this when it really matters.
  2. To that end, when we are sucking, please stop clanging the bells of doom on third down, because after you've rung them a few times and we didn't get the stops, it starts to sound more like a signal to surrender than a signal to stiffen up. It's embarrassing.
  3. Other than the Northwestern game this year, the start of 4th quarter pick me ups (redout and fire with AC/DC, etc) have ended up not working out as loss after loss stacked up. At this point it too almost feels like the signal of surrender. Can we maybe consider not doing that again until we've got a string of 3 or more home wins? It's really cool, but its reputation is also badly damaged by the 2021 season.
  4. End zone spectators wouldn't mind also getting hot dogs launched at them some day. We feel left out. Also, why are we not also launching Runzas from that thing?
  5. When you're going to single out something during time outs on the field or in the stands (the POW/MIA seat, for example), consider finding some way to have someone with a big red flag or something to help call attention to that spot, whether it is on the field or in the seats. Wave it for about five seconds and then just hold it. Some of us who attend a number of games know where to look, but a lot of people stop paying attention to the video presentation and crane around trying to figure out where the cameras are pointing, and summarily miss the presentation in frustration. If they knew where to look, they'd look for a second or two, and then they'd look back at the screen and actually watch the whole presentation someone worked so hard to prepare or actually watch the feed that the on-field crew is working so hard to get right. And no, I'm not suggesting that for the random fan shots, lol....
  6. There's a row of glass-fronted beverage coolers down in the SW corner of the stadium under the south end zone across from the concession windows. And staff sets up a temporary tent cover over the people working them. This creates a crazy painful pinch point road block for the crowd masses at the beginning of the game, and honestly it's not very safe because the tent poles are at an angle so that in a heavy crowd they're easy to just stumble into. Someone is going to trip and fall down and sue you. Move those coolers somewhere else or quit with the tent cover.
  7. The noise decibel meter screen's number is, I'm quite sure, just a fake animation. I also can't imagine it would be very hard to install a real feed to that screen to show how loud the stadium actually is, it's not like we don't have a gazillion other dynamic numeric inputs that we manage to show on screen (clock, score, yards, attempts, TOP, all that....). Trying to make the crowd louder by showing them a fake number they can't change is... discouraging. If the actual decibel number is lower than what you've been trotting out on the fake screen, just pad the real one so it gets in the ballpark, but let it be an actual live number that the crowd can actually change.

I'm sure I'll think of more. If any of you HMers have additional thoughts, agreements with the above or disagreements, please post your replies so everyone is heard......

Last edited:
To be fair, other than Northwestern, Fordham, and Buffalo, any game where we wore a white helmet and a red N resulted in a loss. So if one’s superstitious enough to believe the 4th quarter AC/DC blasting is a cause for our losses, we shouldn’t just stop there.

To be fair, other than Northwestern, Fordham, and Buffalo, any game where we wore a white helmet and a red N resulted in a loss. So if one’s superstitious enough to believe the 4th quarter AC/DC blasting is a cause for our losses, we shouldn’t just stop there.
I'm not suggesting that the 4th quarter thing "caused" the loss. It's not about superstition. It's perception and reputation management. Other team: "Here they go again with that thing, but it doesn't matter, all it seems to do is remind them that it is time to lose again".

This is merely my personal opinion, of course. Take it or leave it. But just clearing the air that it isn't about superstition stuff...

I just wish they'd listen to the actual (un-sanitized) lyrics of some of those songs before they play them.

1. Please, for the love of everything that is good and right, make the playcaller stop yelling IT'S THIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD on Every. Single. Third. Down. The caller should only do it on third downs of subjective consequence, otherwise it's just exhausting to the crowd. After about six of these in a row, no one is going to get wound up for noise on the 7th yell, we're done with it. Only do this when it really matters.
  2. To that end, when we are sucking, please stop clanging the bells of doom on third down, because after you've rung them a few times and we didn't get the stops, it starts to sound more like a signal to surrender than a signal to stiffen up. It's embarrassing.
  3. Other than the Northwestern game this year, the start of 4th quarter pick me ups (redout and fire with AC/DC, etc) have ended up not working out as loss after loss stacked up. At this point it too almost feels like the signal of surrender. Can we maybe consider not doing that again until we've got a string of 3 or more home wins? It's really cool, but its reputation is also badly damaged by the 2021 season.
  4. End zone spectators wouldn't mind also getting hot dogs launched at them some day. We feel left out. Also, why are we not also launching Runzas from that thing?
  5. When you're going to single out something during time outs on the field or in the stands (the POW/MIA seat, for example), consider finding some way to have someone with a big red flag or something to help call attention to that spot, whether it is on the field or in the seats. Wave it for about five seconds and then just hold it. Some of us who attend a number of games know where to look, but a lot of people stop paying attention to the video presentation and crane around trying to figure out where the cameras are pointing, and summarily miss the presentation in frustration. If they knew where to look, they'd look for a second or two, and then they'd look back at the screen and actually watch the whole presentation someone worked so hard to prepare or actually watch the feed that the on-field crew is working so hard to get right. And no, I'm not suggesting that for the random fan shots, lol....
  6. There's a row of glass-fronted beverage coolers down in the SW corner of the stadium under the south end zone across from the concession windows. And staff sets up a temporary tent cover over the people working them. This creates a crazy painful pinch point road block for the crowd masses at the beginning of the game, and honestly it's not very safe because the tent poles are at an angle so that in a heavy crowd they're easy to just stumble into. Someone is going to trip and fall down and sue you. Move those coolers somewhere else or quit with the tent cover.
  7. The noise decibel meter screen's number is, I'm quite sure, just a fake animation. I also can't imagine it would be very hard to install a real feed to that screen to show how loud the stadium actually is, it's not like we don't have a gazillion other dynamic numeric inputs that we manage to show on screen (clock, score, yards, attempts, TOP, all that....). Trying to make the crowd louder by showing them a fake number they can't change is... discouraging. If the actual decibel number is lower than what you've been trotting out on the fake screen, just pad the real one so it gets in the ballpark, but let it be an actual live number that the crowd can actually change.

I'm sure I'll think of more. If any of you HMers have additional thoughts, please post your replies.....

All thoughtful, valid points and suggestions.

If you haven't already, email this to:

ALEX HARRIS
Assistant AD - Marketing & Fan Experience
[email protected]

I will say one interesting thing I saw at the game is that the program had all the offensive staff that had been let go still as current staff. I would have thought with 1.5 weeks or so that they would have tried to print a new program. Could have been cost restraints, but was a bit surprised to see they didn’t attempt to have the program current.

All thoughtful, valid points and suggestions.

If you haven't already, email this to:

ALEX HARRIS
Assistant AD - Marketing & Fan Experience
[email protected]

I'm leaning that way, but would like to let it snowball here a bit with more good ideas from others as well, and also to show it is a group voice instead of a single whiny fan.
:bo:

We can send it in later after we have additional contributions. Or, honestly, I suspect they will become aware of this post anyway. Some people know people and all that....

Last edited:
Hotdogs are round and runzas are not.
I propose that they are roughly the same shape after getting wrapped up. ;)

I suspect the real reason they might not is that Runzas are notably heavier, and also messier. :Lol:

I'm sure I'll think of more. If any of you HMers have additional thoughts, agreements with the above or disagreements, please post your replies so everyone is heard......
My take away from this is you think we should not do anything cool in the stadium, until we no longer suck. Maybe we should also cancel the Tunnel Walk, because it seems like we are just walking into our own funeral. Get rid of the balloons after the first score of each game, because it represents the floating away of our last bit of hope.

I kid, but only kind of.

The 4th quarter thing during night games is really cool. We did it during the Michigan game and were ahead at the time. It's a neat experience for the recruits that are visiting during the game. Wisconsin has "Jump Around" this is our attempt to do something cool too. I'd agree, maybe we should skip it if we are getting clobbered by 30 and fans have already streamed for the exits, but those aren't the types of games we've had anyway.

Hells Bells is something we've done for quite a while on third down. A lot of other places do it too. Sure, if we give up three third downs in a drive, it starts to lose its luster, but then again . But, if it helps get the crowd and players going, what harm is it doing?

With respect to Runza launchers, those might be in Research & Development. I'm going to say part of the issue is that you can tightly wrap a hot dog (which is necessary to make it a good projectile) and not have it ruin the integrity of the food once unwrapped. Runzas I don't think are as durable, since the center is mushier than a hotdog.

No issues with the rest of the list. Granted, I haven't been to a game in Lincoln since 2012 (live far away), so it is hard for me to comment on some of those things.

Every now and then someone makes a post that actually matters. Hope the powers that be read this.

My take away from this is you think we should not do anything cool in the stadium, until we no longer suck. Maybe we should also cancel the Tunnel Walk, because it seems like we are just walking into our own funeral. Get rid of the balloons after the first score of each game, because it represents the floating away of our last bit of hope.

I kid, but only kind of.

The 4th quarter thing during night games is really cool. We did it during the Michigan game and were ahead at the time. It's a neat experience for the recruits that are visiting during the game. Wisconsin has "Jump Around" this is our attempt to do something cool too. I'd agree, maybe we should skip it if we are getting clobbered by 30 and fans have already streamed for the exits, but those aren't the types of games we've had anyway.

Hells Bells is something we've done for quite a while on third down. A lot of other places do it too. Sure, if we give up three third downs in a drive, it starts to lose its luster, but then again . But, if it helps get the crowd and players going, what harm is it doing?

With respect to Runza launchers, those might be in Research & Development. I'm going to say part of the issue is that you can tightly wrap a hot dog (which is necessary to make it a good projectile) and not have it ruin the integrity of the food once unwrapped. Runzas I don't think are as durable, since the center is mushier than a hotdog.

No issues with the rest of the list. Granted, I haven't been to a game in Lincoln since 2012 (live far away), so it is hard for me to comment on some of those things.

Several excellent counterpoints, thank you. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back