• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Not tough enough for Mike Leach

Not tough enough is pretty "unusual."
It's the social media generation. It's the "me me me" generation with a media platform.

Every generation has been considered narcissistic: https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/05/me-generation-time/315151/

But now, I digress.

The post was a dumb idea, and could very well haunt him the rest of his football career (for however long that is.) What if no good program takes him? He just burned all the bridges. Hope he learns from it.

I am curious about the backstory though. Is he just butthurt and whiney? Or did Leach cross a line?

i was asking myself the same thing.... then they turn around and get mad if someone makes a negative comment on their post.
I think the bolded is the funniest part. You can definitely tell some guys have been surrounded by people that have blown smoke up their backsides since they first became teenagers.

I'm all for guys trying to find a better situation, but putting out a long-winded statement just seems kind of overkill.

I have told my kids over and over, whatever you put out on the internet is like a new piece of luggage from TJ Maxx that will follow you around for the rest of your life.
Am I the only one wondering why players feel the need to say something when entering the portal? Just enter and move on. Why bother telling fans of the school you're leaving anything? Unless it's some truly unusual circumstance like health of parents/siblings, family issues that's causing the need for a transfer.
Any good team will not touch him, because he posted that..... DRAMA
I very much doubt that Dillon Johnson is the first player that Leach questioned his toughness, so not really unusual. Just the first to feel the need to air it out to the public. I just kind of roll my eyes at these guys who post these things when leaving a school. They liked the school, the fanbase, the amenities, etc. so much, that they think there's better out there for them. Ok.
In general, I agree that it is never a good look to call out someone (especially your big boss or former organization) on your way out the door. That said, Johnson rushed 89 times for 488 yards and had 48 receptions for 285 yards. His biggest game was against Ol' Miss. He was second leading rusher with the #1 Jo'Quavious Marks having a few more rushing yards and a few less receiving yards. So basically, Johnson is a co-#1 RB and both were juniors.

Also, Leach is flakey enough that there are a lot of coaches who wouldn't hold a negative comment from a player they liked against them, if they have a skeptical view of the target. Another question is whether Leach had publicly said or alluded to his view towards Johnson. If a coach thinks Johnson can help them, they will ignore the comment.

Actually, I am kind of surprised at the lack of negative comments by players leaving most schools Most have likely been advised against any such thing, and they wisely follow. I would also say, we Boomers at that age probably would have "let it all hang out" (as the phrase went). There simply wasn't the technology to disseminate the info without a lot of filters back then. I can recall a player or two that had some negative comments toward DONU and coaches back in the day.

Last edited:

In general, I agree that it is never a good look to call out someone (especially your big boss or former organization) on your way out the door. That said, Johnson rushed 89 times for 488 yards and had 48 receptions for 285 yards. His biggest game was against Ol' Miss. He was second leading rusher with the #1 Jo'Quavious Marks having a few more rushing yards and a few less receiving yards. So basically, Johnson is a co-#1 RB and both were juniors.

Also, Leach is flakey enough that there are a lot of coaches who wouldn't hold a negative comment from a player they liked against them, if they have a skeptical view of the target. Another question is whether Leach had publicly said or alluded to his view towards Johnson. If a coach thinks Johnson can help them, they will ignore the comment.

Actually, I am kind of surprised at the lack of negative comments by players leaving most schools Most have likely been advised against any such thing, and they wisely follow. I would also say, we Boomers at that age probably would have "let it all hang out" (as the phrase went). There simply wasn't the technology to disseminate the info without a lot of filters back then. I can recall a player or two that had some negative comments toward DONU and coaches back in the day.
Good thing he never played for Bob Knight. He was tough on his players and at the same time fiercely loyal to them.

Good thing he never played for Bob Knight. He was tough on his players and at the same time fiercely loyal to them.
And one famous player left… Another coach recruited him off of a garbage truck in French Lick.

His name was Larry Bird, you may have heard of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtf

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back