• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Not so fake punt

Greg Sharpe asked Frost about this in their radio segment after the game. Frost said they only had 10 guys on the field. this isn't an exact quote but it was something to the effect of ..."ya we missed it there. only had 10 guys on the field...i was trying to get the next play in and didn't see it......" apparently no one on the husker sideline "saw it."

good grief. clown show.
I am getting really sick of this quote: After the 1st play, and not getting reviewed "I was getting the next play ready." "fake" punt: "I was getting the next play ready and didn't see it." Frost calling plays is part of his stubbornness/ego and there are just 2 of MANY situations where it is a hindrance and not a positive.

Punt safe and punt return are not the same thing you are correct..............but punt return is only used in desperate times........like when there is very little time and you need a big return to try and win the game.............this was not that situation.

Then I have been doing it wrong for 30 years.;)

I set up for return all the time and so do most other schools. We either go all out block or all out return; safe punt is only used in obvious situations.

I have seen refs throw a flag for too few people on the field..........don't remember the call but they did it :)

I have never ever seen that. Probably because it is not a foul to have too few players on the field but it is a foul to have too many. I would love it if you can recall when that was because it was a huge mistake by whatever ref called a foul for too few players!

Greg Sharpe asked Frost about this in their radio segment after the game. Frost said they only had 10 guys on the field. this isn't an exact quote but it was something to the effect of ..."ya we missed it there. only had 10 guys on the field...i was trying to get the next play in and didn't see it......" apparently no one on the husker sideline "saw it."

good grief. clown show.
Man that excuse is getting old.

I set up for return all the time and so do most other schools. We either go all out block or all out return; safe punt is only used in obvious situations.

I have never ever seen that. Probably because it is not a foul to have too few players on the field but it is a foul to have too many. I would love it if you can recall when that was because it was a huge mistake by whatever ref called a foul for too few players!
AnnArbor I think I have seen everything and every year 1 or 2 things pop up that I can't believe. Couple years ago the local team just needed to get the punt off and win the game..........the long snapper snapped it to the personal protector (no need for a fake punt) who thought is was supposed to block.......... Result? fumble....other team got the ball.......one quick pass.... FG won the game.............it was only for the conference champion............so not like a big game or anything!!!:oops::O O:eek:_O

AnnArbor I think I have seen everything and every year 1 or 2 things pop up that I can't believe. Couple years ago the local team just needed to get the punt off and win the game..........the long snapper snapped it to the personal protector (no need for a fake punt) who thought is was supposed to block.......... Result? fumble....other team got the ball.......one quick pass.... FG won the game.............it was only for the conference champion............so not like a big game or anything!!!:oops::O O:eek:_O

That's one thing I love about HS football, there are so many "what the heck was that kid thinking?" moments that you look back over the winter and chuckle more than a few times.

When you watch that play you can't help but think this staff is not getting it done. That is high school stuff. I beginning to wonder if our past is giving this kids and coaches the sense that they just need to give a reasonable effort and we'll be Nebraska again. They need to watch the 1997 Husker documentary. Lost of blood sweat and tears went into that trophy.

Had not seen any comment yet but what the hell was going on with the not really a fake punt? the punter looked scared to death but still got the yardage!
Didn’t Frost say in the post game interview that there were only ten people on the field for us? I thought he made some comment that it wasn’t even a fake and they just took it because we didn’t have 11 guys out there.

Didn’t Frost say in the post game interview that there were only ten people on the field for us? I thought he made some comment that it wasn’t even a fake and they just took it because we didn’t have 11 guys out there.
If it wasn't my team it would have been funny. Punter was so reluctant to run as 9 players peeled and went down field leaving 1 defender standing there. We begged the punter to run with his 6.5 40 speed and he finally thought what the heck. lol It was a 100% clown show and should NEVER happen. Turned into a TD for them and the rest is history.

I should add what's the rush for our guys to get back down field since we hardly ever run back punts. :Lol:

Last edited:
I haven’t seen that the special teams coach has been canned. No doubt he should be in my mind after that.

Getting Culp on the roster shouldn’t be the beginning and end of their ‘coaching’.

He might be thinking it was for too few players when it was actually a flag for illegal formation.

I think it used to be confusing when the rule used to require at least 7 players on the line of scrimmage for the offense (I’m talking high school rules). When a team only had 10 players on the field, often times the missing player was someone that was supposed to be on the line. Thus the flag for illegal formation for only having 6 on the line.

It was just in the last year or two that the rule changed to at least 5 on the line of scrimmage and no more than 4 in the backfield.

Last edited:
Yes, the refs count but they are never going to tell you when you have too few, they will just throw the flag when you have too many.
Yes the refs always count. Always. At high school and below... sometimes we will notify a team if they are short. I’ll never actually say you are short, but I might say “count your players coach”. I would never do this during a series or a drive, but I’ve definitely done it when teams line up for a kickoff of after taking the field after a change of possession. I also usually won’t do it if they have too many, only if they have too few. I’ve also only done it when I’m a line judge or linesman, or when the back judge on a kickoff (talking to kicker). Unless it’s a youth game, then I’ll tell them regardless of my position.

Yes the refs always count. Always. At high school and below... sometimes we will notify a team if they are short. I’ll never actually say you are short, but I might say “count your players coach”. I would never do this during a series or a drive, but I’ve definitely done it when teams line up for a kickoff of after taking the field after a change of possession. I also usually won’t do it if they have too many, only if they have too few. I’ve also only done it when I’m a line judge or linesman, or when the back judge on a kickoff (talking to kicker). Unless it’s a youth game, then I’ll tell them regardless of my position.

Like I said before, you are the kind of official coaches love to have working a game since they know it will be well officiated! And yes, I do love that in youth football you are instructional to the coaches on things like this rather than just calling the infraction. That's the environment where you need the kids (and oftentime coaches) to really learn the game on the field and on the sideline which is completely different from what is seen in the stands or on TV..

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back