• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Not Really Qualified

MartyHuskerFan

Tired and True
A little satire here for those who might be a little bored today. With a little truth and frustration mixed in.

Alabama proved one of my points Monday night. There was no need for a play-offs period. Clemson was so much better, the game was a blow-out. Alabama did not even belong on the same field. We, as competent CF fans are being duped by all this playoff talk. Clemson is the unquestionable deserving champions. We should have just crown them as such on Dec 15th.

I will try to avoid the facts here and just tell you how I feel right now. You can debate the facts with your replies.

Feels to me like its ok for Alabama to get blown away with no remorse while Oklahoma ND et.al are just considered non-deserving imps that just waste our time. Some of you already knew who was the best and it was obvious. Wait, did you say Clemson? Were you saying Clemson back in November? I seem to recall many pundits mentioning how weak the ACC was and that Clemson almost lost their only real competitive game, Syracuse.

My real point is that you can just be omniscient and name the obvious champion, Alabama, or the obvious 2 team deserving of the championship game, Alab-Clem. Or you can have an interesting 16 team play-off. OK I will keep it to just 8 for now. With a tournament, we all get to be involved and watch a variety of football. Some blowouts, some squeakers, some upsets and some "I told you so" games. As teams progress through the tournament, you can rally behind some and grow to despise others, you can make crazy predictions and brag when you are right. Mostly, with a tournament, you get to see a champion emerge, without depending on the experts to tell you why the also rans are also rans.

Wait. Did we even need to play that boring game on Monday. I knew Clemson was far and away the best team before the season even started. Didn't you? Go Paws!

Let's say you have your 16 team playoff. That's 30% more games added on to the regular season, greatly increasing the chance for injury. In championships, you want to see the best of each team but that may not say Clemson's Trevor Lawrence gets a season-ending injury in the quarter-finals. Now, Clemson is no longer at their best. Would you say this is fair? Do you want to measure a team's greatness by the depth of its bench or by the quality of its best players?

Let's say you have your 16 team playoff. That's 30% more games added on to the regular season, greatly increasing the chance for injury. In championships, you want to see the best of each team but that may not say Clemson's Trevor Lawrence gets a season-ending injury in the quarter-finals. Now, Clemson is no longer at their best. Would you say this is fair? Do you want to measure a team's greatness by the depth of its bench or by the quality of its best players?
Okay for the few teams that advance the chance of an injury increases slightly. Valid point but very small point. I’ll take my chances.

Or he could be injured in the CCG and miss the playoffs. Injuries can't be predicted other than that they will occur.

Don't discount the players that decide to forgo the games to prep for the combine and those few, like this year, that fail their drug test. Some are different teams in the post season that they were during the regular season. Lots of variables. Just prefer the old bowl system and the arguments.

Or you could forget about the playoffs and just have bowl chaos.

There would have been a Clemson vs Alabama Sugar Bowl for the NC and all other bowls would be irrelevant. Maybe a split with ND if they beat OU in the Orange Bowl.

C

Last edited:

There would have been a Clemson vs Alabama Sugar Bowl for the NC and all other bowls would be irrelevant. Maybe a split with ND if they beat OU in the Orange Bowl.

C

C
Kind of like the NU/Mich argument that we still talk about 20+ years later. Do you think anyone outside of alabama & s carolina will be talking about this year's championship a year from now? But I guarantee a clemson/ND split would be talked about for many, many years. That is one of the beauties of college football!

#1 vs #16...#2 vs #15...#3 vs #14...#4 vs #13...and so on.

Are those really games you want to watch? That kind of stuff happens throughout the regular season.

A 16-team playoff would take away the one thing that sets college football apart from any other sport – every week matters.

Kind of like the NU/Mich argument that we still talk about 20+ years later. Do you think anyone outside of alabama & s carolina will be talking about this year's championship a year from now? But I guarantee a clemson/ND split would be talked about for many, many years. That is one of the beauties of college football!

Only amongst the fans of the two teams. Two months after the season all other college fans move on. Decide it on the field not the media and coaches poll.

And to be clear I am not for 16 teams. 6 is my magic number.

C

Last edited:
#1 vs #16...#2 vs #15...#3 vs #14...#4 vs #13...and so on.

Are those really games you want to watch? That kind of stuff happens throughout the regular season.

A 16-team playoff would take away the one thing that sets college football apart from any other sport – every week matters.

When 2 loss LSU played for the championship before the playoffs it proved that the regular season meant squat back then.

C

H
When 2 loss LSU played for the championship before the playoffs it proved that the regular season meant squat back then.

C

I don't think I follow your point. The expectation each year in college football is that if a P5 team loses a game, there's no guarantee they'll be in the National Championship. The year you referenced, no one went undefeated, and the only other 1-loss teams outside of Ohio State were Hawaii and Kansas. So yes, a 2-loss LSU team made it into the National Championship and won.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back