• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Northwestern

How dare people be excited for the start of a new season and be hopeful that this may be the year things get turned around

Everybody understands where this team is at what is at stake for Scott Frost

With that being its okay and in fact normal to be excited and hopeful for fans of any school

You should have also quoted N2FL’s post as well.

That's a good point, but not sure if most of the NW game questions are NUs offense or NWs questionable defense. I rewatched the 2021 game last night and NU gashed NW with big plays. NW had some success both in the run and pass game, but were inconsistent, couldn't string drives together, and got behind early.

If NW can stop the big plays by NU's offense and not turn the ball over, I think this will be a much tougher game than some folks are expecting. Big plays by NU killed them last year especially in the 1st half.

Can NU's defense hold up in a nail biter and/or a game where NW can lean more on the run and not play from behind? Hilinski isn't a world beater, but he made some nice throws in that game last year. If they can take pressure off him with a run game and not get behind by 3 TDs early, they'll be able to test NUs defense.
Besides our WRs being much improved, so will our pass rush.

This team will go as far as the O-line and D-line take them (or don't). Plenty of dudes everywhere, just need to get it done in the trenches.
Feel good about the D line.
I think the O line,playing different, more attacking style will help the
run game and some the pass game.
Last year there were open swing passes that were never thrown, quite a few.
This year I feel there'll be more designed 'clearing' plays which will allow our qb to absorb some of the rush, like selling a draw which allows all but the fastest rushes to effect the qbs need to break from formation in play.
Same for clearing out along the line, a designed play to make the key defenseman to commit instead of choosing, speeding the read process of the qb.
These types of plays helps the O line or can even be disguised using run blocking.
I like what I see in Whip,and the O lines not as bad as our records been anymore than the whole team.
But they are a question mark until they arent.

North by Northwestern square wave ....

2018 .... First place in the West
2019 .... Dead last in the West
2020 .... First place in the West
2021 .... Dead last in the West
2022 .... First place in the West ??????

Last edited:

They'll be improved, but Hankwitz loss and weaker QB position wont be overcome

Listened to one of their best writers this morning said not a chance they would win the West

Said a 6-6 season and bowl game would be a good year

What's your point? Yes, everyone was saying the same thing about the Illinois game from last year. The Northwestern game is pretty much a must win. Why is saying that taking anything from Frost for granted. Saying it is a must, saying on paper it should be a win doesn't mean it will be a win. I don't think anyone is guaranteeing a win.

People are just trying to be hopeful instead of the alternative.
What alternative? Are you talking reality? Why can’t people be both? We should be able to discuss the reality if 15-29 while still being hopeful. Seems like some only want the koolaid side talked about and you are a bad fan if you don’t quote that company line.

What alternative? Are you talking reality? Why can’t people be both? We should be able to discuss the reality if 15-29 while still being hopeful. Seems like some only want the koolaid side talked about and you are a bad fan if you don’t quote that company line.
I’m with you on this. I don’t get the ‘either or’ mindset that so many have.
I’ve said it before - I’ve been extremely critical of SF and the results he has gotten so far, and will continue to be if the situation warrants it (while also reserving the right to dole out kudos if appropriate). Yet here I am, on this site, reading/discussing what could be done to improve Nebraska’s football standing. That alone should indicate that I have hope for better while acknowledging the very real and evident negative. Not everything in life is necessarily one thing or the other…

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back