• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Northwestern

I really didn't expect you to agree with my view. My view of how players/kids react to playing lesser opponents comes from coaching HS football for 21 years. I also think there is a difference between taking an opponent lightly which is what I said and overlooking an opponent. To you it may be semantics but to me they are different.
If we have players taking the first opponent of the year, a conference opponent to boot, lightly after we just went 3-9 then the culture in that program isn't strong yet. Everyone on that team that played for Nebraska in 2021 should want to come out and make a statement after that dud of a season. Of course we didn't have a winning culture last year so that's something that needs to be established now.

If we have players taking the first opponent of the year, a conference opponent to boot, lightly after we just went 3-9 then the culture in that program isn't strong yet. Everyone on that team that played for Nebraska in 2021 should want to come out and make a statement after that dud of a season. Of course we didn't have a winning culture last year so that's something that needs to be established now.

I really do agree with pretty much everything you are saying. I really don't think they are in danger of the whole team taking this opponent lightly. But, there could be a few individuals that do. Your looking at things like an adult not like a 18-19 year old kid. Your looking at a big picture it's hard for guys this age to look that far ahead or back.

I am sure the coaching staff is working hard at having the team ready to go.

Last edited:
I get it. They start slow and get better as the season progresses. They do have an AA OLmen, but they were so inexperienced last year at too many positions. I don't think they're a good team, but neither are we. Not until proven otherwise. If NU takes any opponent lightly after coming off of a 3-9 season then it's time for a change because the culture is broken.
Frost’s opening games haven’t been works of art with a 1-4 record. His very first game was canceled ( with a full and very excited crowd including me) there’s the Colorado loss, the less than impressive win against Southern Alabama, the Covid loss to Ohio State and finally the horrible loss to an Illinois team they were expected to beat by 10 points.
It’s TIME to get an impressive win a 38-3 win against a well coached Northwestern team. This isn’t the same team that was 3-9 last season that shot itself in the foot in way too many loses. This is an experienced team full of leaders and it’s well coached. Predicting a solid performance on both sides of the ball and incredible improvement on special teams. GO BIG RED !

No one should argue this

Wee wee or get off the pot time

I really do agree with pretty much everything you are saying. I really don't think they are in danger of the whole team taking this opponent lightly. But, there could be a few individuals that do. Your looking at things like an adult not like a 18-19 year old kid. Your looking at a big picture it's hard for guys this age to look that far ahead or back.

I am sure the coaching staff is working hard at having the team ready to go.
I get that there might be a few kids that take this game lightly, but I'm hoping the leaders/captains on the team hold everyone's feet to the fire and the other athletes respond. I guess that's what I'm talking about when I say the culture of the program. From my experience as an athlete, coach, and my career, it's always best when the peer leaders are the ones enforcing the standards. That said, NU should win this game.

Frost’s opening games haven’t been works of art with a 1-4 record. His very first game was canceled ( with a full and very excited crowd including me) there’s the Colorado loss, the less than impressive win against Southern Alabama, the Covid loss to Ohio State and finally the horrible loss to an Illinois team they were expected to beat by 10 points.
It’s TIME to get an impressive win a 38-3 win against a well coached Northwestern team. This isn’t the same team that was 3-9 last season that shot itself in the foot in way too many loses. This is an experienced team full of leaders and it’s well coached. Predicting a solid performance on both sides of the ball and incredible improvement on special teams. GO BIG RED !
You had me until the last few sentences. We don't know yet if it's a team full of leaders and we are full of new faces. A lot of these guys haven't played together yet and we lost a lot from a damn good defense last year.

I get that there might be a few kids that take this game lightly, but I'm hoping the leaders/captains on the team hold everyone's feet to the fire and the other athletes respond. I guess that's what I'm talking about when I say the culture of the program. From my experience as an athlete, coach, and my career, it's always best when the peer leaders are the ones enforcing the standards. That said, NU should win this game.

I guess I thought I said something similar in post 303.

When reading this thread, I can't help but flashback to this time last year when everyone was saying the same thing about Game 1 against Illinois. That too was a must win against a crappy team the year before. Nobody thought you'd lose to a 2-6 team with a new coaching staff. On paper, you shouldn't have lost to Illinois in 2020 or 2021, but it happened.

On paper, you shouldn't lose to Northwestern, either. But how can anyone take anything for granted with Frost? He's 10-25 against the Big Ten and 6-17 against the West Division.

When reading this thread, I can't help but flashback to this time last year when everyone was saying the same thing about Game 1 against Illinois. That too was a must win against a crappy team the year before. Nobody thought you'd lose to a 2-6 team with a new coaching staff. On paper, you shouldn't have lost to Illinois in 2020 or 2021, but it happened.

On paper, you shouldn't lose to Northwestern, either. But how can anyone take anything for granted with Frost? He's 10-25 against the Big Ten and 6-17 against the West Division.

Kool Aid syndrome is running wild within the fanbase.

Didn’t you know this is a different team this year? Didn’t you know we have new leadership amongst the team? Didn’t you know we were working harder in the off-season than ever before? Didn’t you know we found an offensive line that has a nasty streak in them? I hope that this year is different but the same comments are said every year in August. Then as they say in another thread we get punched in the mouth. Please let this be the year we put it together.

What's your point? Yes, everyone was saying the same thing about the Illinois game from last year. The Northwestern game is pretty much a must win. Why is saying that taking anything from Frost for granted. Saying it is a must, saying on paper it should be a win doesn't mean it will be a win. I don't think anyone is guaranteeing a win.

People are just trying to be hopeful instead of the alternative.

Kool Aid syndrome is running wild within the fanbase.

How dare people be excited for the start of a new season and be hopeful that this may be the year things get turned around

Everybody understands where this team is at what is at stake for Scott Frost

With that being its okay and in fact normal to be excited and hopeful for fans of any school

Last edited:

What's your point? Yes, everyone was saying the same thing about the Illinois game from last year. The Northwestern game is pretty much a must win. Why is saying that taking anything from Frost for granted. Saying it is a must, saying on paper it should be a win doesn't mean it will be a win. I don't think anyone is guaranteeing a win.

People are just trying to be hopeful instead of the alternative.

See My post above we think a like ha ha

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back