• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Northwestern

I was commenting on your statement about not counting out NW and Fitz at the beginning of the year. His teams tend to start slowly and get better as the year goes on. His 2018 team that won the west started out the season 1-3. I really haven't said anything about how Nebraska should win this game on paper. I will do that now. :)

Northwestern is a rebuild type of school. I think the covid year has disrupted his rebuilding. He usually has some really good players in the system. Right now he is pretty short on them. His talent is pretty down. I also think Hankowitz played a much bigger role in the success of NW than he gets credit for. DC of his caliber and experience are hard to replace. I don't like playing NW in Ireland right out of the gate. But, they are a known quantity. My biggest worry with about the game is Nebraska taking them too lightly because of the way the game went last year. If they are playing the game on paper it really should be something like 35-14 Nebraska and I would be very happy with that result. I think it will be closer, but still around a 10 point win.

Pat Fitzgerald is a great coach I totally agree about this. He also has a very unique situation at NW that I think makes it easier for him to coach there. There are absolutely no expectations on him to consistently win. PF could go 3-9 four years in a row and still keep his job. They aren't going to fire him so he doesn't have that huge amount of pressure. The NW faithful are very happy with the job he has done. His overall record is a bit over .500 and that is really good at NW.
I get it. They start slow and get better as the season progresses. They do have an AA OLmen, but they were so inexperienced last year at too many positions. I don't think they're a good team, but neither are we. Not until proven otherwise. If NU takes any opponent lightly after coming off of a 3-9 season then it's time for a change because the culture is broken.

Twenty pages and haven’t seen much discussion on my biggest concern. I’m afraid NW will run on us at will. Everyone seems to be focused on our offense…..almost assuming our defense is fixed. We forget our defense was rated overall worse than our offense in yardage given up. Yes we were a bend but not break defense but that’s a poor defensive game plan.

Add to this a questionable defensive line due to departures and most likely a chance of improved play by Northwestern and a returning 1000 yard rusher. I could be wrong with my concerns since nobody else seems to be.
First our offense was very good at gaining yards and turning the ball over.
Both things effecting defense numbers, total plays etc.

Second our LB has been very good since we finally got our fits right, better this year than last.
My only concern is safety support/experience.

I get it. They start slow and get better as the season progresses. They do have an AA OLmen, but they were so inexperienced last year at too many positions. I don't think they're a good team, but neither are we. Not until proven otherwise. If NU takes any opponent lightly after coming off of a 3-9 season then it's time for a change because the culture is broken.

Yeah, I get that Nebraska needs to prove it and they haven't been good either. The difference is that Nebraska beat NW 56-7 last year Not the other way around. I think that should give them confidence you just hope it is not over confidence. It sounds like the coaches are really stressing playing well against NW and that this is a business trip.

Also taking an opponent lightly isn't a culture thing. It is a kid thing. It doesn't matter that Nebraska was 3-9 last year. They killed NW. There will be players (kids) on the team that may take them lightly. The coaches will not and are stressing this. The leaders on the team will not be taking the game lightly. Garrett Nelson will not be taking the game lightly. He will lead by example and by his action. Team leaders set the example. You hope they play to dominate.

Yeah, I get that Nebraska needs to prove it and they haven't been good either. The difference is that Nebraska beat NW 56-7 last year Not the other way around. I think that should give them confidence you just hope it is not over confidence. It sounds like the coaches are really stressing playing well against NW and that this is a business trip.

Also taking an opponent lightly isn't a culture thing. It is a kid thing. It doesn't matter that Nebraska was 3-9 last year. They killed NW. There will be players (kids) on the team that may take them lightly. The coaches will not and are stressing this. The leaders on the team will not be taking the game lightly. Garrett Nelson will not be taking the game lightly. He will lead by example and by his action. Team leaders set the example. You hope they play to dominate.
We're going to disagree on the kid/culture thing here in this instance. It's one thing to lose to a conference foe like Purdue or Iowa when you're a superior team like Ohio State and you've beaten everyone else. It's a culture issue when you're coming off of the worst season in modern Husker history and overlook a conference opponent. The

This will be the first time for this Husker team to play together. I would be stunned if it ran on all cylinders. Occasionally it will cough and sputter, but I hope it runs more smoothly by the end of the game than in the beginning. That would be nice to see.

Twenty pages and haven’t seen much discussion on my biggest concern. I’m afraid NW will run on us at will. Everyone seems to be focused on our offense…..almost assuming our defense is fixed. We forget our defense was rated overall worse than our offense in yardage given up. Yes we were a bend but not break defense but that’s a poor defensive game plan.

Add to this a questionable defensive line due to departures and most likely a chance of improved play by Northwestern and a returning 1000 yard rusher. I could be wrong with my concerns since nobody else seems to be.
That's a good point, but not sure if most of the NW game questions are NUs offense or NWs questionable defense. I rewatched the 2021 game last night and NU gashed NW with big plays. NW had some success both in the run and pass game, but were inconsistent, couldn't string drives together, and got behind early.

If NW can stop the big plays by NU's offense and not turn the ball over, I think this will be a much tougher game than some folks are expecting. Big plays by NU killed them last year especially in the 1st half.

Can NU's defense hold up in a nail biter and/or a game where NW can lean more on the run and not play from behind? Hilinski isn't a world beater, but he made some nice throws in that game last year. If they can take pressure off him with a run game and not get behind by 3 TDs early, they'll be able to test NUs defense.

I actually think you're correct.

Northwestern may be marginally improved, but they will not have another one of their recent one-year swings to division champs. They are still in a rebuild mode this season. If they manage a nailbiter against Nebraska, I'll be increasingly concerned about our own team.

Thanks

Yup

He actually has had one other back to back losing seasons in 2013 and 2014 and three out of four with 2011, 2013 and 2014

Although he is a good coach he has had his tribulations too

They can for 37 yards against us last year and I could make a pretty good argument with the transfers we brought in that the D line with the likes of Mathis and Wynn is better this year and we know how good our inside linebackers are

So I do bot share your sentiment

I was commenting on your statement about not counting out NW and Fitz at the beginning of the year. His teams tend to start slowly and get better as the year goes on. His 2018 team that won the west started out the season 1-3. I really haven't said anything about how Nebraska should win this game on paper. I will do that now. :)

Northwestern is a rebuild type of school. I think the covid year has disrupted his rebuilding. He usually has some really good players in the system. Right now he is pretty short on them. His talent is pretty down. I also think Hankowitz played a much bigger role in the success of NW than he gets credit for. DC of his caliber and experience are hard to replace. I don't like playing NW in Ireland right out of the gate. But, they are a known quantity. My biggest worry with about the game is Nebraska taking them too lightly because of the way the game went last year. If they are playing the game on paper it really should be something like 35-14 Nebraska and I would be very happy with that result. I think it will be closer, but still around a 10 point win.

Pat Fitzgerald is a great coach I totally agree about this. He also has a very unique situation at NW that I think makes it easier for him to coach there. There are absolutely no expectations on him to consistently win. PF could go 3-9 four years in a row and still keep his job. They aren't going to fire him so he doesn't have that huge amount of pressure. The NW faithful are very happy with the job he has done. His overall record is a bit over .500 and that is really good at NW.

As I wrote above he is a very good coach but has has had his moments too

Had three out of four losing seasons including back to back ones between 2011-2014

His saving grace was having a great D coordinator for many years

Looking forward to this gane

Last season NW lost 9 games by an average difference of 24.4 points while the Huskers lost 9 games by an average of 5.8 per game! Does that mean anything this season except NW was miserable on defense last season? I think NW will be improved on D (could hardly be worse) but are a long way from being solid.

Anything can happen opening game but I really like our chances against this NW team. I predict a Husker win by at least 20 points.

Six of their last seven games they did not score more than 14 points

You are doing your best to discredit our opponent-if we would lose this game what would you believe would be the future of our program and specifically our head coach. If I’m not mistaken you use this approach frequently and it hasn’t worked out so well for you, but due to your moderator status most won’t call you out on it. It’s obvious that you didn’t go to the Lou Holtz school of pregame/opponent analysis.

You are doing your best to discredit our opponent-if we would lose this game what would you believe would be the future of our program and specifically our head coach. If I’m not mistaken you use this approach frequently and it hasn’t worked out so well for you, but due to your moderator status most won’t call you out on it. It’s obvious that you didn’t go to the Lou Holtz school of pregame/opponent analysis.

I am just stating facts nothing less and nothing
more

Not really sure of why you heel the need to take a personal shot at me like this?

Because that's exactly what your doing for what reason I have no clue

I am going to let it go this time but you need to move on from this line of personal shots

Have a good day

Last edited:

We're going to disagree on the kid/culture thing here in this instance. It's one thing to lose to a conference foe like Purdue or Iowa when you're a superior team like Ohio State and you've beaten everyone else. It's a culture issue when you're coming off of the worst season in modern Husker history and overlook a conference opponent. The

I really didn't expect you to agree with my view. My view of how players/kids react to playing lesser opponents comes from coaching HS football for 21 years. I also think there is a difference between taking an opponent lightly which is what I said and overlooking an opponent. To you it may be semantics but to me they are different.

I am just stating facts nothing less and nothing
more

Not really sure of why you heel the need to take a personal shot at me like this?

Because that's exactly what your doing for what reason I have no clue

I am going to let it go this time but you need to move on from this line of personal shots

Have a good day

I’m just giving you a hard time. I noted that last year you used the same approach frequently.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back