• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Northwestern

Northwestern is not a must win. Any CFB team can come out on any given day and lay a stinker. Lord knows we’ve had our share. There’s plenty of season to right the ship if we lose.
You sir, are as lost as can be with this post. Given where NU sits, this is damn sure a must win game. I’ve been saying it for months. Frankly, I’m not sure how anyone can look at it any other way.

Still take him over Frost.

Has alway been one to do more with Jess
I don't know who Jess is, but I'm guessing you're saying he does more with less.

Why does he have less? Northwestern is a member of the Big 10, and they have reaped the financial benefits of that membership for longer than Nebraska.

Is it a recruiting disadvantage? You can't tell me that the Chicago shores of Lake Michigan can't compete with Lincoln. Or that Northwestern's facilities are substandard.

If Fitzgerald has less, it's his own doing. He has been at the helm since 2006. It took him 16 years to win a division title. He has zero conference championships. Scott Frost's team beat his team by 7 touchdowns last season.

Maybe he should recruit better, or sell his program better at Big 10 Media Days.

I don't know who Jess is, but I'm guessing you're saying he does more with less.

Why does he have less? Northwestern is a member of the Big 10, and they have reaped the financial benefits of that membership for longer than Nebraska.

Is it a recruiting disadvantage? You can't tell me that the Chicago shores of Lake Michigan can't compete with Lincoln. Or that Northwestern's facilities are substandard.

If Fitzgerald has less, it's his own doing. He has been at the helm since 2006. It took him 16 years to win a division title. He has zero conference championships. Scott Frost's team beat his team by 7 touchdowns last season.

Maybe he should recruit better, or sell his program better at Big 10 Media Days.

Northwestern is not a must win. Any CFB team can come out on any given day and lay a stinker. Lord knows we’ve had our share. There’s plenty of season to right the ship if we lose.
In an absolute sense this is true. We could lose to NW then turn around and beat Oklahoma a few weeks later and have a nice season.

But in a practical sense, this is a must win. The fact that we've had so many "stinkers" as you say, means that we have to eliminate those this season.

We'll beat NW and start 3-0.

He gave an opening statement at Big 10 media days.
Check and mate.

In an absolute sense this is true. We could lose to NW then turn around and beat Oklahoma a few weeks later and have a nice season.

But in a practical sense, this is a must win. The fact that we've had so many "stinkers" as you say, means that we have to eliminate those this season.

We'll beat NW and start 3-0.

We have:

- a #1 QB with bad thumb
- one of the worst OLs in the country got worse on paper
- an almost entirely new off coaching staff and new players that need to all figure out how to work together optimally
- lost many defensive veterans

7-5 will be a good season and many of those 7-5 scenarios include a loss to NW. To me that’s not must win. Will it be disappointing? Sure. Should we win? Yup.

In what scenario is NW must win? Going for the Natty? Ok sure but isn’t that bar set a little high? We can still lose to NW and win the B1G West and that’s like the tippy top 1% of expectation this year so I don’t see why it’s must win.

We aren’t there yet to call the first game of the season a must win. Set expectations for the team we have not the team we want.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back