• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Northwestern Practice Week: 30 September Coach Frost

And why does it take 6 weeks into the season to 'notice' that the OL needs to get their pad level lower????
Exactly. as a former HS center, I watch the Oline and have noticed this:
1) A lot of the OL are hitting their guy initially, but then 'passing" him back to either someone else or to no one (hoping that the DT is already out of the play?) but that person is either disrupting the play or getting the tackle. (This maybe by design but, if so, it is NOT WORKING!)
2) The Oline is not getting much, if any, push on running plays.
3) The Olinemen are usually on their backs after getting blown up
4) Outside run/option plays are the only plays that seem to work for any type of yardage.
5) The RB's aren't exactly helping always by missing holes and running into the backs of the Oline.
6) The Oline is backpedaling too much on passing plays and the DT's/others are using that backward momentum to push the Oline into AM or are just getting the sack.

The Oline looks the part but aren't playing the part so far. But what can you really expect with 3 FR and 1 Soph in the big Ten?

1) A lot of the OL are hitting their guy initially, but then 'passing" him back to either someone else or to no one (hoping that the DT is already out of the play?) but that person is either disrupting the play or getting the tackle. (This maybe by design but, if so, it is NOT WORKING!)

Exactly! This has been the case since Year 1. Apparently, the OL is taught to chip/redirect guys. But it does not work well. Most of the time the block is a mere love tap and, as you said, the defender is hardly deterred and makes the tackle.

I would love to see our OL bury some guys instead of tapping them and then turning around to see the RB tackled for a loss.

Exactly! This has been the case since Year 1. Apparently, the OL is taught to chip/redirect guys. But it does not work well. Most of the time the block is a mere love tap and, as you said, the defender is hardly deterred and makes the tackle.

I would love to see our OL bury some guys instead of tapping them and then turning around to see the RB tackled for a loss.

They are only doing what they are being taught to do. NOT EFFECTIVE!

yeah, it frustrates me greatly, the ole chip block. Wouldn't film review show the staff that.....IT ISN'T WORKING?

I think we are at a point there is no quit in this team
I really really hope you are right. I’m starting to feel better about this game but earlier in the week I was a little concerned. A loss this week and I’m not sure how the players will react.

Exactly. as a former HS center, I watch the Oline and have noticed this:
2) The Oline is not getting much, if any, push on running plays.
3) The Olinemen are usually on their backs after getting blown up
4) Outside run/option plays are the only plays that seem to work for any type of yardage.
5) The RB's aren't exactly helping always by missing holes and running into the backs of the Oline.
6) The Oline is backpedaling too much on passing plays and the DT's/others are using that backward momentum to push the Oline into AM or are just getting the sack.

The Oline looks the part but aren't playing the part so far. But what can you really expect with 3 FR and 1 Soph in the big Ten?
Agree with all. Especially number 1 except I’ll add sometimes they aren’t even initially making contact. Literally going untouched.

I really really hope you are right. I’m starting to feel better about this game but earlier in the week I was a little concerned. A loss this week and I’m not sure how the players will react.
Michigan State beat them 38-21

Walker ran for 264 yards. Against NU only 61

They rolled up 511 yards vs NW. Only 254 vs Nebraska

Walker gained more yards against them than MSU gained against us

Take that for what you want

Last edited:

Michigan State beat them 38-21

Walker ran for 264 yards. Against NU only 61

They rolled up 511 yards vs NW. Only 254 vs Nebraska

Take that for what you want
That’s part of the reason I’m feeling better as the week went along. Seeing more of the statistical matchups. :)

That’s part of the reason I’m feeling better as the week went along. Seeing more of the statistical matchups. :)

Their offensive line is all best up with injuries etc

Starting a QB who is 14 for 27 on the year with no TD passes

If they can not run the ball against us and I do not think they will with much success it will be a long day for them

Maybe the worst team Fitzs has had at NW

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back