• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Northwestern Practice Week: 30 September Coach Frost

Fake fair catch?
It was a designed play by MSU. They had scouted Czerny and knew he was likely to punt to his left. They put 2 returners deep and told the one one on the right to wave for a fair catch to make Nebraska think it was coming to him. And they told their blockers to form up on the right as well Partly by chance it dovetailed perfectly with our called coverage and the punter's error.

I posted elsewhere here on Saturday I think Frost needs to own that error instead of just blaming the kicker as he did right after the game, because at this point everything that happens is on him. I said if there's a chance his kicker won't properly execute Frost needs to scheme for that.

It turns out MSU's special teams coordinator knew our kicker's tendency is to kick left. Did our special teams coordinator know that too?

Details are important.

Last edited:
It was a designed play by MSU. They had scouted Czerny and knew he was likely to punt to his left. They put 2 returners deep and told the one one on the right to wave for a fair catch to make Nebraska think it was coming to him. And they told their blockers to form up on the right as well Partly by chance it dovetailed perfectly with our called coverage and the punter's error.

I posted elsewhere here on Saturday I think Frost needs to own that error instead of just blaming the kicker as he did right after the game, because at this point everything that happens is on him. I said if there's a chance his kicker won't properly execute Frost needs to scheme for that.

It turns out MSU's special teams coordinator knew our kicker's tendency is to kick left. Did our special teams coordinator know that too?

Details are important.
If a player on the receiving team waves for a fair catch, even if it isn't the player that catches the ball, doesn't that preclude a return?

Frost is trying, there is no doubt. I guarantee, he wants to win more than anyone. But what does this say about our O-Line coach when the HC has to "help coach" his position group?
Not sure he’s helping just reinforcing the message.
I like this team I like their fight wish they’d get a break late in a game though. Frost hurting and ten times more frustrated than any fan. He’s smart he’s going to get this thing turned around
Love to see two return men on punts one deep the other 8 yards closer to the los.

Details are important.

I agree to a point about Frost taking blame however if you tell ( and practice) the kicker to kick it left and he kicks right I’m not sure many of us wouldn’t point that out during a press conference ten minutes after the game ends.

Not sure he’s helping just reinforcing the message.
I like this team I like their fight wish they’d get a break late in a game though. Frost hurting and ten times more frustrated than any fan. He’s smart he’s going to get this thing turned around
Love to see two return men on punts one deep the other 8 yards closer to the los.
Agreed and agreed. Like Frost said, he just wants to try and find someone who can run up and catch a punt, run back and catch a punt. Damn, I loved shagging for the punters in practice. I loved the challenge of catching every punt! It is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, for Pete's sake!

What I am trying to say is that all the mistakes this team have made, starting with the safety at Illinois all the way to the kicking the punt in the wrong place (and the 20 plus in the middle) are things that are taught in High School. Do the coaches at Nebraska think that they are so basic, that they don't need to be taught? Do the coaches think they don't have to tell the OL to wait until the ball is snapped to move? Do they think they shouldn't have to tell a punter which way is left and which way is right? Dang, some of these mistakes stop happening after Jr High football but we have high 3/low 4* caliber players making these bonehead mistakes. Where does the buck stop? I mean, do the coaches have to have a 15 minute session with punters and punt teams on which way is left and which way is right? To tell the punt team to look up to make sure the punt is actually going to where it was suppose to? It isn't entirely the punters fault. I played every single special teams from grade 9-12, even when I was starting on O/D in HS. I had enough sense to look up at the punt to make sure where it was going. Do coaching staffs teach that anymore? Look up to ensure where the punt is going? The more I type, the angrier I get at these peewee/middle school mistakes these players are making....game after game after game....It isn't rocket science. I could go on and on about these mistakes but why? I am not making a ton of $$ to teach/talk about this.

Last edited:

Frost is trying, there is no doubt. I guarantee, he wants to win more than anyone. But what does this say about our O-Line coach when the HC has to "help coach" his position group?
To be fair, the rationale for having Frost quit his play-calling duties is so he could focus on areas of need. Thinkin Oline is where i'd start. But also, what position coach has more players and spots in the line up?

by not reading too much into it, it may have been more of making sure they know what the other positions are doing? just guessing here but pretty sure he wasn't teaching technique.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back