• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Northern Illinois Week Press Conference (9/9/19)

I’ve no disagreement with what you are saying here. When and where did SF say “they have been the greatest practice team ever this past season” as indicated in the post I questioned. Maybe I missed him saying that. I’d really like to see a reference for alleging Frost made that statement.

I never saw that one and I doubt he’d say that. Sounds like a little hyperbole.

I’d rather hear this than hear that practice wasn’t good.

There is that. Or in the Big Red Fishbowl - if coaches say the kids are doing well in practice - doing everything asked of them - and if game performance is substandard in some areas - would that not mean that responsibility for substandard game performance lies in the hands of those designing and conducting practices?

Just keep working gents. Fix it. It's early in the season. Now is the time to work out the bugs, if that's possible.

For everybody who is parsing the meaning of words and upset about inflated expectations, please, take a moment and answer some questions for me, and see where the answers take you. Pretend that you're the coach, and let's assume that you know what you're doing, and here is what you have to work with and what you see happening:
  1. Your O-line is not very good, and it doesn't have the size and/or quickness and/or experience to be good anytime soon, but those guys are doing what you ask of them to the best of their ability, and they're trying as hard as they can to improve, but they're still a long ways off.
  2. Those O-linemen in #1 are the best that you have, right now; you've got some freshmen who aren't ready, yet, and you're recruiting more and better guys for down the road, but none of that matters for 2019, which is what we're talking about.
  3. You're covering everything that you're seeing on film in practice, and your players are doing a pretty good job of recognizing formations, schemes, patterns, etc., and you've had success in the games when opposing teams have done what you expected them to do, but ...
  4. Your offense is dependent upon some very young players in very key positions, and especially your Center (Rsht-Fr) and QB (True Soph) are having a lot of trouble in games picking up things that they haven't seen on film or practiced against, but they're very young, and both have missed a lot of football in their very young lives, and both have exceptional talent that needs space and air to develop without getting choked out by pressure and frustrations.
  5. You just finished a practice where your guys have responded well emotionally and mentally to a very tough loss to an inferior opponent, and they're doing all that they possibly can to learn from it and get ready for the next game.
  6. You and your staff feel horrible that you weren't perfect in that game, and you know that a couple costly mistakes of yours were part of why you lost the game, so you've barely slept since Saturday as you and your staff have gone over the game film, figured out how to address the issues that can be addressed, but also recognize that there are still inherent weaknesses that can't be fixed in the short-term, so you trade sleep and time with your family over the weekend to watch more game film of yourself and your upcoming opponent to try and analyze how they'll use what you're seeing to attack your weaknesses, which you can neither hide nor fix immediately.
Now it's Monday press conference time, and the media asks you about Saturday's game and what you're doing to move forward and improve: What do you say? Is it going to help the situation if you go into detail talking about which players and positions are still hurting the team, knowing that those guys are going to hear every word you say? Do you spend hours breaking down everything that you've seen and learned into terms and concepts that are basic enough for the media to understand (most of whom wouldn't even be able to understand what the staff is saying if they were standing in the room while they're discussing scheme, plays, formations, run-fits, and strategies)? Do you risk giving information to your opponents about how you're making adjustments to what you've been doing for your game against them? Do you refuse to answer questions and risk turning the press against you?

Or do you just tell a simplified version of the truth: "We looked really sharp in practice, and we're working hard at fixing the things that have been problems?"

Last edited:

All this bloviating by coaches, players, pundits and fans.

JUST WIN BABY ....... GBR !

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back