• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nominees for best college car

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
So we set a precedent when we bought my son a “college car”. Three years ago we bought him a 2016 4Runner.

Now it’s sister’s turn. She will be about 300 miles from home.

She really likes 4Runners but used ones right now are just crazy high!

What are some other nominees worth consideration? SUV a must.

Last edited:

Parked it on the street. I must have got 300 tickets from the campus police. About a month after I graduated I received a packet in the mail with the stack of tickets. I tossed them in the trash, never heard from them since. It's been 45 years. I figure that I'm good.

Here is pretty close to what it looked like, but not as nice shape.

1611533263316.png

Parked it on the street. I must have got 300 tickets from the campus police. About a month after I graduated I received a packet in the mail with the stack of tickets. I tossed them in the trash, never heard from them since. It's been 45 years. I figure that I'm good.

Here is pretty close to what it looked like, but not as nice shape.

View attachment 59204

You're lucky. They towed my car the last week of school and I couldn't get it back until I paid all my parking tickets. Fargin bastages.

You're lucky. They towed my car the last week of school and I couldn't get it back until I paid all my parking tickets. Fargin bastages.
I switched plates all the time. I was surprised when they mailed the tickets with the different plate numbers, and figured it out that it was me. I worked in a detail shop for a car lot and got plates from trade-in's from all over.

Last edited:

With the faux wood panels? :)
Exactly! It wasn’t actually called a squire, but that was always my memory of those lovely decals of wood!

I’ve actually got them on a 1981 Wagoneer I’m working on, and yes, I’ll be redoing the faux wood sides.

Exactly! It wasn’t actually called a squire, but that was always my memory of those lovely decals of wood!

I’ve actually got them on a 1981 Wagoneer I’m working on, and yes, I’ll be redoing the faux wood sides.
I always liked the Jeep Wagoneer. Nice. Cadillac of the SUV's at the time.

So we set a precedent when we bought my son a “college car”. Three years ago we bought him a 2016 4Runner.

Now it’s sister’s turn. She will be about 300 miles from home.

She really likes 4Runners but used ones right now are just crazy high!

What are some other nominees worth consideration? SUV a must.

We have an older Kia Sorento that runs like a champ.

The earlier models are body-on-frame (none of this unibody, crossover crap) and it's pretty darn rugged. We've had it for about 13 years now and have only ever had to replace tires and brake pads. The CD player recently broke but that's literally been the only issue with it.

I don't know that we can get another 6-8 years out of it (to pass down to my daughter when she's old enough), but it's absolutely that kind of car. Cheap, runs well, good mileage and low maintenance. Has 4WD with high/low and I've taken it through snow and mud with no problem.

I'm generally not a fan of import SUV/Trucks as much as classic Detroit, but this car has changed my perspective a little. If I need a pickup, I'll still go Ford/GM/Dodge but for SUVs I'm more open to imports now. Also, Kia/Hyundai has a 10 year warranty that transfers to new owners and they're not as expensive as Honda or Toyota.

Not many good looking SUVs anymore unless you want a tank (Suburban) or a crossover. What Chevy did when they brought back the Blazer is criminal. Broncos look good in the pics I've seen, but haven't looked at one in person.

But...for a college girl, those smaller SUVs/ crossovers might be good. Toyota Highlander, maybe?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back