• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

No changes to the coaching staff

Bo had 7 years then MR had 3, how is that repeatedly hitting reset every few years if SF has a losing season in 2021 and is let go after 4 years? Maybe MR should have been given a 4th year under Moos to do it his way and not the AD's way, if we were to apply the same logic people are to SF.

As to coach V I am not sure about his development of his players but to have a 3 star local QB as the class QB in 2021 is concerning to me.

.500 and SF gets a fifth year, can the expectations at a blue blood program get any lower.

C
Well, I'll dip my toes into the thread. The reset button goes back to Pederson...who saw a need to put his personal stamp on the program. Callahan? Osborne even said if the team shows fight he could make it work(the team tanked). Eichy? Going to build it his way...Should MR have been given another year? Well, the team had folded down the stretch, but maybe they saw the changing of the guard coming. AND THE FORUMERS WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT IN FULL FORCE IF BM DIDN'T ACT THEN TO GET THE HOTTEST COACH IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL TO COME BACK HOME. Frost wasn't going to wait another year (see the gators and other suitors, please). So, BM had to jump then and quickly. enough about history.
I share concerns about the QB room-but getting 5* anything to lincoln is tough. Can't bash the Kearney kid, haven't seen him play but guessing he is at least as good as Vedral, who so many have lamented his loss.
Blue bloods? Ala, in the south and recruiting is easier. OSU, look at how many nflers are from ohio. Texas? (well continual dumpster mess). USC? That storied program with all of those west coast kids and the lack of success they have?
Not sure about the expectations of 500 ball being acceptable-but it is a step forward?

Coach V? Well I'll go with MABC lessons on teaching how to throw on the run and other mechanics that are interesting but beyond my arm chair knowledge.

I have a rosy outlook for the future. Get consistency on snaps and o-line play and maybe the QB room turns the corner.

I believe we’ve been close in a lot of games. Have to improve special teams and QB play. Frost talked about bringing in these bigger receivers. I believe that and the improved tight end room will help. We have a stable of running backs with potential. I just can’t believe they will all be busts. If our offensive line, wide receivers, and running backs don’t improve next season I will think we have a coaching issue.
Think the O'line has turned the corner, and this is beyond just half of a Rutgers game.
The RB's I keep wondering who will step forward? I think Rahmir will take WR spot (saw glimpses of that). He has more high end speed than WR-but WR was a gamer. Stepps might not get to suit up this year per NCAA. Morrison back and healthy and Scott both having seen the O for a year- these guys had no practice time last year to speak of.
Wideouts? Don't know why so many debby downers continue to bash Omar Manning? Guy was injured all year-per Frosts statements. Heck, a year ago this guy was a "savior" at Receiver-maybe some people a few months later turned fickle? Much experience coming back.
Anyway-none of it matters if the O-line can't win the trenches.

Last edited:
Has he?

Martinez was a stud year one. Does Verduzco get no credit for that? A kid that missed his senior year comes in and does very well as a true freshman?

Broken year 2. Maybe he should't have been playing, I don't know.

Struggled for a variety of reasons year 3.

Some of it might be coaching, but I don't see it as a guaranteed direct correlation.

If we can't develop better play from Martinez next year, McCaffrey, Smothers or Haarberg the years after, sure. We're doing something wrong.

Yep, AM was a stud in year one, right out of HS. Cigar man had little to do with AM's prowess having only worked with him for a few months. He went downhill from there. Cigar man was unable to turn AM around in three years and not able to develop LM in two years.

Last edited:

Yep, AM was a stub in year one, right out of HS. Cigar man had little to do with AM's prowess having only worked with him for a few months. He went downhill from there, and cigar man was unable to turn AM around and not able to develop LM in two years.

It's waayyyyyy too early to come to that conclusion about LM. That's a fair point about AM.

'LM has been in the program for 2 years. I don't get to see practices, just games. One TD and 6 int's tells me that LM is not being developed as a QB.

We didn't really see him much as a true qb his freshman season because he was basically just running wildcat. Then there was no spring practice so that hampered his development further.
You can't come to any conclusion either way yet.

Yep, AM was a stud in year one, right out of HS. Cigar man had little to do with AM's prowess having only worked with him for a few months. He went downhill from there. Cigar man was unable to turn AM around in three years and not able to develop LM in two years.

Well I guess it’s settled then.

Well, I'll dip my toes into the thread. The reset button goes back to Pederson...who saw a need to put his personal stamp on the program. Callahan? Osborne even said if the team shows fight he could make it work(the team tanked). Eichy? Going to build it his way...Should MR have been given another year? Well, the team had folded down the stretch, but maybe they saw the changing of the guard coming. AND THE FORUMERS WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT IN FULL FORCE IF BM DIDN'T ACT THEN TO GET THE HOTTEST COACH IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL TO COME BACK HOME. Frost wasn't going to wait another year (see the gators and other suitors, please). So, BM had to jump then and quickly. enough about history.
I share concerns about the QB room-but getting 5* anything to lincoln is tough. Can't bash the Kearney kid, haven't seen him play but guessing he is at least as good as Vedral, who so many have lamented his loss.
Blue bloods? Ala, in the south and recruiting is easier. OSU, look at how many nflers are from ohio. Texas? (well continual dumpster mess). USC? That storied program with all of those west coast kids and the lack of success they have?
Not sure about the expectations of 500 ball being acceptable-but it is a step forward?

Coach V? Well I'll go with MABC lessons on teaching how to throw on the run and other mechanics that are interesting but beyond my arm chair knowledge.

I have a rosy outlook for the future. Get consistency on snaps and o-line play and maybe the QB room turns the corner.

Didn't bash Haarberg, just saying that a 3 star local kid who is a known development project should not be the class QB. Also didn't say 5 star exclusively. NU should be able to pull a 4 star at that position every year. I think MV and SF would agree since they offered five 4 stars and one 5 star with Demtrius Davis as their top QB target. Maybe 2021 is the outlier and not an indication of things to come.

I don't care about other blue blood programs and whether they have it easier to recruit or do nothing with said recruits.

Maybe Haarberg is the next Josh Allen though. I sure hope so.

C

Why is that funny?? You could put Tom Brady in this offense surrounded by this supporting cast and he would struggle.
I respectfully Disagree. I refuse to compare AM to some mediocre standard that most huskers fans have fallen into

if we had a QB who can throw all the passes frost offense requires, wasn’t a slow blinker nor a turnover machine then we would have had a winning record

Some people see AM's stats on throws over 20 yards and think "if he completes X amount more than....", and others see our record in one score games and think "if we won X amount more than...". Thing is he didnt and they didn't. Like @cthusker says you are what your record says you are, and our record says we are not a good team and we are not getting better. The fact the entire coaching staff is returning after 3 straight losing seasons does not inspire confidence in me that year 4 will bring better downfield passing stats, better record in close games, etc. At this point it doesn't even inspire hope.... :Bananalazy:

Last edited:

And yet, his skill position weapons will be even less experienced in 2021.
Every player that was on our roster last year is a year older, a year longer learning the system, and hopefully a little more physically developed. The new guys are coming in with multiple years of playing college football, and both had some success as key contributors. That would seem to suggest we are equal to, or possibly be even more experienced in some ways.

Didn't bash Haarberg, just saying that a 3 star local kid who is a known development project should not be the class QB. Also didn't say 5 star exclusively. NU should be able to pull a 4 star at that position every year. I think MV and SF would agree since they offered five 4 stars and one 5 star with Demtrius Davis as their top QB target. Maybe 2021 is the outlier and not an indication of things to come.

I don't care about other blue blood programs and whether they have it easier to recruit or do nothing with said recruits.

Maybe Haarberg is the next Josh Allen though. I sure hope so.

C
to keep air clear, didn't think you were bashing Haar...wanted to make sure I wasn't. thinking we agree.
Hoping JA does well today.

Every player that was on our roster last year is a year older, a year longer learning the system, and hopefully a little more physically developed. The new guys are coming in with multiple years of playing college football, and both had some success as key contributors. That would seem to suggest we are equal to, or possibly be even more experienced in some ways.

Can Stanley Morgan get another year due to Covid?

Asking for a friend.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back