• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

No Agreement on CFP Expansion

And then you'll have a mandatory inclusion of a G5 team, and qualifiers on Notre Dame's eligibility. Which means in most years 6 or 7 spots will automatically be claimed with little room for qualified non-conference champions!
I'd do Power 5 champions, plus highest ranked G5 champion. Then you can have two spots for the best at-large teams (Notre Dame or non-conference champ).

Pros to this:
  • More balanced representation- With the current method, we work on mostly assumptions about the strength of each conference. With very few interconference games each year and with them being front loaded on the schedule, we really can't say which conference is better than the next. This way conferences are given a chance to prove their strength each year.
  • Conference Championship Saturday is actually fun- With the current model, you have to watch the SEC title game to see if they are going to get 1 or 2 teams in. Past that, only one or two of the other title games ever really seems to matter. With auto-bids, every single conference title game matters!
  • Determined in the field, not a conference room- I like the idea of seeing teams earn their way into the playoff by winning games on the field. Not having to sit around on a Sunday night while a bunch of people deliberate in a Marriott conference room. College basketball conference title games are thrilling for this exact reason, teams get to celebrate making it to the tournament when they win.
  • Will free up teams to schedule tougher non-conference opponents- Right now it is risky business to schedule a potential top-10 out of conference game. But, if a majority of the spots are based on how you do within your conference, you can schedule tough non-conference games with minimal risk.
Cons to this:
  • You won't always have the top 8 teams- Someone will get left out (which already happens). You'll have a 3-loss Wisconsin team get in over a 2-loss Georgia, or a 2-loss Oregon get in over a 1-loss Ohio State. Some team in the playoff will probably be a stinker, but at least they'll have the opportunity to prove their worth.
  • One year you will get a team that would have normally NEVER had a chance to be in- I know a few years back there was a 4-loss Northwestern team that made the B1G title game. If they had been able to pull off the upset (they didn't), is that really a team that "deserves" to play for a National title?

Didn't watch since the game had already been played a few weeks before....No way to know as NO other team that might have been better even got a shot.

50% SEC is wrong in a four team playoff.
In the current model, you have a potential for teams to play three times in the same season (one of which is for the title). I'm cool with that if those two teams are unequivocally the best. But, it is hard to determine that in a 15 game season, where 20% of both teams' seasons were just playing against each other. Even playing twice in the same year it is hard.

I struggle to see how more of the top teams facing each other is bad for college football.

There will be playoff expansion.
It's inevitable that it will be 16 teams.
12 doesn't work, which is why no one agreed to it.
The bowls will be folded into the playoff.
So your 16 team playoff will be played in 15 bowl games.
The rest of the bowl games will cease to exist.

Didn't watch since the game had already been played a few weeks before....No way to know as NO other team that might have been better even got a shot.

I'd say 95 to 99% of Nebraska fans never watch another football team play.

I'd say 95 to 99% of Nebraska fans never watch another football team play.
I would be the exception. I watch as many games as I can except when heading to/from Lincoln for game days. I tend to stay in the Big Ten but the late West coast game usually ends my night.

Watch all the bowls too. I enjoy college football season and the variety of play with so many teams having unique offenses. The playoffs have not been good for the game with the SEC issue. There was an article a few years ago which dispelled the myth of the conference being better than others. Bama is usually the lone exception the last few years. Props to them, but you have to be an idiot not to win with 5 star talent every year that they pull in. (See Texas :) ) I tend to favor the underdogs that actually have to coach well, or get some luck, to win as much. Up and coming Clemson was fun to watch, Iowa State too given how hard it is to recruit to Ames.

SEC had the two BEST teams pal.
You must not like watching championship football.

SEC had the two BEST teams pal.
You must not like watching championship football.
Had the same arguement 100 times already...You are entitled tro your opinion, mine is that we will never know since they didn't settle it in the field but in a back office with 2 SEC teams anointed the best candidates even though they already played each other and one came out a winner.

It's anecdotal, but I know a lot of Nebraska fans and don't know any that only watch Nebraska.
Just for fun, try making a comment about a nearby school and their football team. Iowa State for instance, and you'll be greeted by three responses.
1. Massive indifference and lack of interest.
2. A series of proud posts tinged with hostility, saying I don't watch them.
3. A couple of responses making it sound like they watch the team but so far off the mark that they reveal they have never seen the team play since the 70's.

Nebraksa fans watch Nebraska.

Had the same arguement 100 times already...You are entitled tro your opinion, mine is that we will never know since they didn't settle it in the field but in a back office with 2 SEC teams anointed the best candidates even though they already played each other and one came out a winner.
Pal you don’t understand championship football. Did you even watch the semifinal games? What four teams would you have picked?

Last edited:
Pal you don’t understand championship football. Did you even watch the semifinal games? The SEC has the athletes the pros want. They are the gold standard for college football.
How much is ESPN/SEC paying you? I am not arguing both teams aren't top teams, they are. I am simply saying a poll and a seeding, and lots of hype by the media doesn't automatically make it so.

How did bowl season start?

SEC Football Starts Bowl Season With Three Losses Against Group of 5 Schools​

That doesn't give me confidence GA or AL are head and shoulders above everyone else. They beat some of these same three schools in conference play, not sure that makes them super special, or just winning game they should.

Go to 16 like FCS. It could easily be done with a little creative thinking….and include conference Championships and include the traditional bowl system.

More teams, more excitement, more post season games with meaning, more “chances”….

And good Lord the money making opportunities that are being passed up.

The 4 team playoff was a move in the right direction years ago but was never intended to be the stilted end game that it has become.

College football is just not in a good spot when it comes to the end of the year. Interest has declined tremendously, bowl attendance is way down and star players aren’t even participating anymore.

Time to expand…..Time to stop with the “same old, same old”….

Just for fun, try making a comment about a nearby school and their football team. Iowa State for instance, and you'll be greeted by three responses.
1. Massive indifference and lack of interest.
2. A series of proud posts tinged with hostility, saying I don't watch them.
3. A couple of responses making it sound like they watch the team but so far off the mark that they reveal they have never seen the team play since the 70's.

Nebraksa fans watch Nebraska.

Ok.

How much is ESPN/SEC paying you? I am not arguing both teams aren't top teams, they are. I am simply saying a poll and a seeding, and lots of hype by the media doesn't automatically make it so.

How did bowl season start?

SEC Football Starts Bowl Season With Three Losses Against Group of 5 Schools​

That doesn't give me confidence GA or AL are head and shoulders above everyone else. They beat some of these same three schools in conference play, not sure that makes them super special, or just winning game they should.
Pal they slaughtered the #3 and #4 teams when it counted!
AGAIN what 4 teams would you have picked?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back