• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

No Agreement on CFP Expansion

SWVAHusker

Starter
20 Year Member
The CFP Board of Managers failed to reach an agreement on expansion of the CFP. According to Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby the vote wasn't even close to being unanimous. They didn't rule out coming to an agreement before the current contract ends in 2025 though.

I might be misremembering the timeline a little, but I think this is a good thing long-term for expansion due to how the current contract with ESPN works. I think there's a clause in the CFP contract with ESPN that any expansion beyond four teams prior to the 2026 season results in ESPN having exclusive rights to renegotiating a new contract under the new playoff format. I'm all for expansion, but I would also prefer an expanded playoff belonging to multiple TV partners. It would be best for the sport, IMO, that any expansion happens after the 2025 season.

The CFP Board of Managers failed to reach an agreement on expansion of the CFP. According to Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby the vote wasn't even close to being unanimous. They didn't rule out coming to an agreement before the current contract ends in 2025 though.

You have to think the B1G, ACC and PAC12 alliance so far has worked ... hard to be negotiating an expansion to the playoff's the day that two SEC teams are battling for the NC.

Last edited:
An 8-team CFP playoff with no restrictions would have had:

* 3 SEC teams in the field.
* 2 B1G teams
* None from PAC12 and ACC

You have to think the B1G, ACC and PAC12 alliance so far has worked ... hard to be negotiating an expansion to the playoff's the day that two SEC teams are battling for the NC.
Why would the SEC want to change the format when they are nearly guaranteed to have 50% of the teams in the playoffs? Expanding it only decreases the chances of their conference winning. I know there is much more to it than that, with TV rights and eSECpn influencing the process, but right now there wouldn't be an impetus for them to expand. Until the SEC gets their own league/super conference that is ;)

Why would the SEC want to change the format when they are nearly guaranteed to have 50% of the teams in the playoffs? Expanding it only decreases the chances of their conference winning. I know there is much more to it than that, with TV rights and eSECpn influencing the process, but right now there wouldn't be an impetus for them to expand. Until the SEC gets their own league/super conference that is ;)
Absolutely correct. If you think that Disney and the SEC will let anything get in the way of their symbiotic alliance, you’re living in an alternate reality. CFP is their world - the rest just get to nibble at the edges…

It's inevitable that an expansion will happen. But with College Football it always takes them much longer than needed to deal with reality.

Because an 8 or 12 team playoff would mean much more money. These guys aren’t above that as well.

Pal you don’t think those teams last night were the best in the country ?

Pal you don’t think those teams last night were the best in the country ?
I know you’re not asking me in particular and I sure didn’t watch the game, but you’ll never convince me that the two participants are necessarily the best in the country. Not enough teams get invited and they always seem to get a couple of pretenders to set up the SEC to LOOK the best...

Are we done kicking the can down the road? | by US Rep Rick Nolan | Medium

C

And....the same result as last night
I think Ohio State has the athletes Georgia and Alabama do. They can match, or even exceed that talent in spots. They recruit just as well as both of them. Njingba would have tore up that Georgia secondary. Alabama has no one like him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back