• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NIT

If they want to reduce the stoppages, stop rewarding the Kamikaze Crash to the basket. Either let the play go without a whistle, or lean more toward the charge. Players would need to pull up and take jumpers, so far fewer trips to the line. Traveling and palming would also reduce players driving. The advantage they let the offense gain is part of why we see guys putting on a ball handling clinic with every possession.

Totally agree with the bolded. Whenever the shot clock is winding down, it seems like the go-to play for most teams is to have the guard dribble right into the middle of the lane and create contact. It's horrible basketball, and officials have let it become standard practice.

I hate horn sounds. Reduce the stoppages !!

My rules ....
  1. fly-by-night substitute rule. Clock is running. Just like ice hockey.
  2. reduce time out. 3 per half.
  3. eliminate free throw attempts. If fouled, then surrender 2 or 3 scoreboard points.

Last edited:
yeah the 10 minute reset of fouls is complicated... I don't like it at all as I feel it will only encourage more fouling.

This is the current women's rule, with an actual quarter break. I don't think it has increased fouling because the result is always two free throws instead the 1 and 1 on fouls 7,8,9.

This is the current women's rule, with an actual quarter break. I don't think it has increased fouling because the result is always two free throws instead the 1 and 1 on fouls 7,8,9.
The negative is it rewards a team or player that’s a poor free throw shooter. We already reward players for lacking certain fundamentals, I hate seeing it in this area too.

The negative is it rewards a team or player that’s a poor free throw shooter. We already reward players for lacking certain fundamentals, I hate seeing it in this area too.
Understand your point, but the women's game seems to have better free throw shooting than the men's game. I suppose if most players are hitting the front end of the 1-and-1, it doesn't matter if you have the 1-and-1 or two shots. And since you are getting two shots anyways, maybe it discourages trying to foul a poor foul shooter a little. I'm not sure.

Understand your point, but the women's game seems to have better free throw shooting than the men's game. I suppose if most players are hitting the front end of the 1-and-1, it doesn't matter if you have the 1-and-1 or two shots. And since you are getting two shots anyways, maybe it discourages trying to foul a poor foul shooter a little. I'm not sure.
My philosophy has always been, bricklayers deserve public shaming. If you get all the excitement from delivering the windmill dunk, you deserve the horror of being in the game late, being at risk of barely drawing iron on your free throw. It bothers me that we are trying to reduce the stops in play by manipulating free throws. We created the problem by encouraging the current game. If they want the game to flow smoother, don’t reward sloppy play.

And since you are getting two shots anyways, maybe it discourages trying to foul a poor foul shooter a little.

I'm sure it does, even on 1&1's. I think fouling poor, or any, shooters is an integral part of the game strategy. I say just leave FT's alone.

It's essentially the same rules as what the women's play with, only the men's game won't be split into quarters. The women's game goes by much quicker and the pace of play is much smoother. I initially thought the same thing, that the women's game would have more fouling, but it has really cut down on the number of long stoppages in play.
Interesting... curious what effect going to quarters would have on men's hoops.

Watching CU losing to TU. 21-44 @ 16:50 left. It's great seeing CU lose. It bites Texass is winning.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back