• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NIL Indirectly Impacting NFLPA Group Licensing Agreement

SWVAHusker

Starter
20 Year Member
Former Ohio State WR Marvin Harrison Jr. hasn't signed the NFL Player's Association Group Licensing Agreement yet. The majority of players sign the GLA at the combine, well before they might be drafted. The GLA is necessary for NFL partners like Nike and EA Sports to use a player's NIL (in EA's case, in the Madden video game.) Reportedly, Harrison is trying to use the GLA to renegotiate the deal he got from Fanatics while at Ohio State. That deal was/is apparently worth more than $1 million.

This is an interesting case to me. Because of NIL, a few players like Harrison are going to start coming into the NFL with memorabilia deals already in place. They may not want or need to sign the NFLPA group licensing agreement or will use it as a negotiating tactic to get more $ from companies. Several years ago, SF Giants OF Barry Bonds refused to sign the MLBPA player licensing agreement because he didn't think it paid him enough $. That led to video game companies not including his NIL in their games after 2003, and to Bonds releasing his own game, Barry Bonds: Home Run History.

Given that college players have to sign a NIL agreement with EA to appear in the new College Football video game, I wonder if they'll start including language that permits them to use a player's NIL in Madden if the player makes an NFL team. Reportedly, the top 200 college players have individual NIL deals with EA that pay them more than the standard $600 and a copy of the game most players are getting.

Former Ohio State WR Marvin Harrison Jr. hasn't signed the NFL Player's Association Group Licensing Agreement yet. The majority of players sign the GLA at the combine, well before they might be drafted. The GLA is necessary for NFL partners like Nike and EA Sports to use a player's NIL (in EA's case, in the Madden video game.) Reportedly, Harrison is trying to use the GLA to renegotiate the deal he got from Fanatics while at Ohio State. That deal was/is apparently worth more than $1 million.

This is an interesting case to me. Because of NIL, a few players like Harrison are going to start coming into the NFL with memorabilia deals already in place. They may not want or need to sign the NFLPA group licensing agreement or will use it as a negotiating tactic to get more $ from companies. Several years ago, SF Giants OF Barry Bonds refused to sign the MLBPA player licensing agreement because he didn't think it paid him enough $. That led to video game companies not including his NIL in their games after 2003, and to Bonds releasing his own game, Barry Bonds: Home Run History.

Given that college players have to sign a NIL agreement with EA to appear in the new College Football video game, I wonder if they'll start including language that permits them to use a player's NIL in Madden if the player makes an NFL team. Reportedly, the top 200 college players have individual NIL deals with EA that pay them more than the standard $600 and a copy of the game most players are getting.

Maybe these exclusive rights are too exclusive? You've been doing business elsewhere and are happy, now you're forced to give them up?
I like competition

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back