• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NIL and scholarships

we're back

Scout Team
5 Year Member
Doesn't NIL make scholarships sort of irrelevant? Seems it would be easy to get around scholarship numbers by simply providing NIL money. I know that schools don't provide NIL money directly, but assume that they are in close communication with collectives and other entities that do.

That's a good point. There must be a rule against it or everyone would be doing it, or maybe there are other schools that are doing it. Does the 85 scholies have anything to do with it?

Also, it will be interesting to see if this staff will carry as many walkons as previous staffs. We don't know if the previous staff practiced 4 stations as TO did. I'm inclined to believe the Frost staff probably did not, hence the lack of development.

That's a good point. There must be a rule against it or everyone would be doing it, or maybe there are other schools that are doing it. Does the 85 scholies have anything to do with it?

Also, it will be interesting to see if this staff will carry as many walkons as previous staffs. We don't know if the previous staff practiced 4 stations as TO did. I'm inclined to believe the Frost staff probably did not, hence the lack of development.
I had heard they will shrink the walkon numbers.

If a student even gets an NIL deal, the yearly total averages under $3K. So, yes, they definitely need scholarships.

The big deals are the ones that are publicized, but generally the student athlete experience is still relatively the same.

Only 25% of D1 athletes get deals at all.

Last edited:

NIL will never supplant scholarships. A scholarship is still worth $100K. Nobody will pass up free money. Schools who don’t offer scholarships to players with NIL deals will lose out to schools who do. Add to that the possible collusion that the athletic departments and the NIL collectives would need to engage in, and scholarships will still be a big deal and scholarship limits will still be a dominant factor in building rosters.

NIL will never supplant scholarships. A scholarship is still worth $100K. Nobody will pass up free money. Schools who don’t offer scholarships to players with NIL deals will lose out to schools who do. Add to that the possible collusion that the athletic departments and the NIL collectives would need to engage in, and scholarships will still be a big deal and scholarship limits will still be a dominant factor in building rosters.
Agreed. But I do think for grad transfers or other one and done transfers who are looking for a new experience or particular grad school degree, that a six figure one year deal roughly equal to a full ride will be a common way for teams at the limit to exceed the limit by a few. In other sports with low limits, it clearly is happening already.

Just remember the NCAA does not have subpoena power and must rely on voluntary reporting and cooperative witnesses. The one thing that would help is if the college presidents would agree to punish any athletic program that did not cooperate in and investigation or provide the requested documents. Probably not going to happen. They are hamstrung. Only bad publicity may cause some pushback.

It doesn't cost $100,000 to educate a student. It takes a lemming to buy into the facade.

I'm talking about the actual cost of the University not the consumer. No need to be sorry.

I'm talking about the actual cost of the University not the consumer. No need to be sorry.
And I'm talking about the value to the person receiving it. Tuition, fees, books, and room and board are $20-25K per year easily. That's the cost to attend and the measure of the value of the scholarship.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back