• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nike's New Oregon Uni's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm in the "traditionalist camp", but after reading the 53rd thread about changing uniforms, starting to get softer on my stance.

These new Nike Oregon Uni's are very well done, IMHO, much better than most of Oregon's past uni's.

Question regarding the BLOCK "N" on the current helmet ---------

The BLOCK "N" is only on the helmet

You NEVER see the Block "N" on any T-shirt, flag, mug, pendant, earring, tattoo, ---------

---nowadays it's always the "new" N, with the squarish ends ---- so much for tradition.;)

Perhaps living here in Southern California where the gaudy colors of Miami were sported by every wannabe hoodrat or bandwagon fan left my view a little different than yours. Miami openly touted the flashy "Miami" lifestyle (Miami Vice, beach parties, 2 Live Crew) as a recruiting tool. Also, I see the type of Oregon recruit that typically comes out of our local big high school programs. The old U and the new O have a lot in common.

I agree, our visions of "the U" and Oregon are very different. I'd also say your comparison of Oregon and Nebraska is almost laughable.

http://www.4thandforever.com/blog/2010/06/09/u-of-uho/

http://www.sbrforum.com/college-football/news/ncaa-football-odds-2010-oregon-ducks-a-15095/

http://www.5thquartersports.com/featured/5-dirtiest-programs-college-football/
Top 5 Dirtiest Programs - Oregon #5

As for the player reaction video you posted...you again used an example of a mediocre program with no history. It behooves them to create an excitement or an advantage in an area like clothing to differentiate themselves. Does not make as much sense for us to do the same.

So a couple of obscure, 3rd-rate blogs make the camparison post-Masoli and Oregon = Miami? That's weak sauce. If that's the burden of proof, then Nebraska in the wake of Larry Phillips is just like Miami as well.

What is the downside of wearing one or two alternate unis? It offends your sense of tradition?

So a couple of obscure, 3rd-rate blogs make the camparison post-Masoli and Oregon = Miami? That's weak sauce. If that's the burden of proof, then Nebraska in the wake of Larry Phillips is just like Miami as well.

What is the downside of wearing one or two alternate unis? It offends your sense of tradition?

All ya need is for Tom to say: "These new uniforms are really hip" and 90% of the people on this board will rush out and buy them

Last edited:

You NEVER see the Block "N" on any T-shirt, flag, mug, pendant, earring, tattoo, ---------

---nowadays it's always the "new" N, with the squarish ends ---- so much for tradition.;)

I've wondered this as well. I'm not a fan of the serif N, and wonder how it came to represent Nebraska instead of the plain sans-serif N on the helmet. I much prefer the helmet N. There are probably threads exploring this.

I hear you...I'm a bit of a traditionalist myself. Regarding the block "N" I love it but it drives me crazy that the ONLY thing that UNL uses it for or on is the side of the football helmet. They don't even market it except now on Bo's ballcap. That is literally the only place you can find it.

My point is: if that is all the more the University cares about the block "N" why the heck should we care so much about rarely, if ever changing the uniform (including the helmet)? The uni has been changed numerous times and the helmet has changed several times as well.

I am about to cave and say what the hell, let's see an alternative uni...or two.;)

Ok, I'm in the "traditionalist camp", but after reading the 53rd thread about changing uniforms, starting to get softer on my stance.

These new Nike Oregon Uni's are very well done, IMHO, much better than most of Oregon's past uni's.

I agree that Miami of old, and certain programs today, attract a certain type of player. I recall disliking Miami for a variety of reasons, and one of the prominent ones was the braggart attitude, along with the all-to-often accompanying thug persona. My distaste for Miami still lingers, even though many have tried to change that perception/attitude.

What I'm contending, however, is that the incorporation of alternate unis does not mean we would be going after the thugish student-athletes. Instead, as I said earlier, I'll bet a poll of current Husker athletes would find the majority would love some cool alternate uniforms. I'm not saying we should go with garish uniforms (nothing like some of Maryland's new unis, or some of Oregon's past unis), but a nice combat uniform, incorporating our school colors (or, dare I say, even a touch of black). Our recruiting style wouldn't change, and the type of athlete/young man we target would remain the same. Additionally, the coaching staff would continue to preach responsibility/accountability. I'm also not saying we want to capture those athletes who would base their entire collegiate decision on uniforms. But, when you consider the number of factors that young men have to weigh when making their decisions, you want to eliminate as many "negatives" and add as many "positives" to their lists. This one to me is one that high school/college students may consider as an indicator that the school and coaching staff understand them and their generation.

I guess, to me, the attraction of Nebraska football has primarily been the tradition and the sense of character associated with the people of Nebraska. Nebraska, more than any other school I can think of, is almost inseparable from the rural people of the state. Perhaps, this is because short of school and summers on the farm, I lived most of my life here in California. I believe outsiders tend to appreciate Nebraska for it's differences from many big time football programs. IMO, compromising the "positive" of the Nebraska tradition, for an increase in appeal to revised unis, is not a net gain. That being said, the new tighter unis and updating helmets have given the team a cool look while maintaining the character of the Nebraska unis. Things like adding black and incorporating stylized logos just don't speak "Nebraska" IMO.

Last edited:

All ya need is for Tom to say: "These new uniforms are really hip" and 90% of the people on this board will rush out and buy them

And then we can officially be a "me too" along with ASU, MSU, U of Ohio, etc...great.

At least the Adidas unis for Michigan retained the sense of tradition.

Oh well, we'll leave tradition to the Michigans, USCs, Penn States, Alabamas, Oklahomas, and Texas of the world.

Perhaps living here in Southern California where the gaudy colors of Miami were sported by every wannabe hoodrat or bandwagon fan left my view a little different than yours. Miami openly touted the flashy "Miami" lifestyle (Miami Vice, beach parties, 2 Live Crew) as a recruiting tool. Also, I see the type of Oregon recruit that typically comes out of our local big high school programs. The old U and the new O have a lot in common.

I agree, our visions of "the U" and Oregon are very different. I'd also say your comparison of Oregon and Nebraska is almost laughable.

http://www.4thandforever.com/blog/2010/06/09/u-of-uho/

http://www.sbrforum.com/college-football/news/ncaa-football-odds-2010-oregon-ducks-a-15095/

http://www.5thquartersports.com/featured/5-dirtiest-programs-college-football/
Top 5 Dirtiest Programs - Oregon #5

As for the player reaction video you posted...you again used an example of a mediocre program with no history. It behooves them to create an excitement or an advantage in an area like clothing to differentiate themselves. Does not make as much sense for us to do the same.

I get where you're going SBH and I agree with some of it but...Even NU colors has their gang affiliations

http://journalstar.com/news/local/article_494fdaa7-5520-5061-97ca-48a5546c8dbc.html

I don't see much connection, in any case, to the uniforms. Our tradition is not our uniforms. Our tradition is Integrety, winning, fan support and adopting new strategies and practices (Nutrition, weight-training, facilities, walk-ons, offensive and defensive complexities, etc.). If updating or altering the uniforms can provide another tangible benefit, either in recruiting or marketing, and not adversely affect our brand, then why not?

In my opinion our uniforms represent the tradition. When I look at the players in uniform it reminds me of those traditions.

Nike's connection to Oregon allowed this idea to grow year by year. The more it was accepted by the recruits and the public the more overboard it became. There is a top to this but what makes it look respectable are the copycats that aren't as well designed.
Oregon has done well with the uniforms but to put the uni's on UCLA before this years USC's game would have just made them look more stupid and USC could have made the score 80 to zip.
It's a new move and will continue but it has to be done in degrees, if at all.

Last edited:

And then we can officially be a "me too" along with ASU, MSU, U of Ohio, etc...great.

At least the Adidas unis for Michigan retained the sense of tradition.

Oh well, we'll leave tradition to the Michigans, USCs, Penn States, Alabamas, Oklahomas, and Texas of the world.

I would opposed to what ASU,MSU, U of Ohio did, but would be open to some modern tweaking.

To use the NFL as an example, Packers, Steelers, and Cowboys all have long traditions, but all 3 have tweaked or modernized their uni's over the past 15 years. All three stayed with the basic design, to honor their tradition.

http://www.mikestanhope.com/Cowboys.html

I would opposed to what ASU,MSU, U of Ohio did, but would be open to some modern tweaking.

To use the NFL as an example, Packers, Steelers, and Cowboys all have long traditions, but all 3 have tweaked or modernized their uni's over the past 15 years. All three stayed with the basic design, to honor their tradition.

http://www.mikestanhope.com/Cowboys.html

I agree to some extent. I liked the Michigan throwback Unis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back