• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nick Saban recruiting pitch

Pretty cool video of Nick Saban recruiting. Kid probably isn't being recruited by Saban anymore, but great spin by him on some of the things he hears quite a bit. "How insulting of them to tell you you won't play here".

Leaked video of Nick Saban making a recruiting pitch goes viral - YouTube
I don’t agree with Saban’s recruiting tactics, or at least what I understand SEC rules allow, but very hard to argue the pitch. Winning games, and championships, alleviates so much of the recruiting process. The product sells the pitch in the end.

Can't really find any fault with what he said. He really does make his case and his points are valid. Didn't care for the Alabama is better line but really he is correct. Trophies and Wins don't lie. I just wonder how clean the program is, not like they need dirty recruiting the program sells it's self

Can't really find any fault with what he said. He really does make his case and his points are valid. Didn't care for the Alabama is better line but really he is correct. Trophies and Wins don't lie. I just wonder how clean the program is, not like they need dirty recruiting the program sells it's self
I've previously heard (not confirmed) that Alabama is notorious for oversigning largely due to SEC conference rules, and will not renew recruits scholarships after year #1 to stay at or under the 85 scholly threshold. Again, not verified, I have no link but what I've read and heard in the past. So, to your point, dirty indeed (allegedly) :)

I've previously heard (not confirmed) that Alabama is notorious for oversigning largely due to SEC conference rules, and will not renew recruits scholarships after year #1 to stay at or under the 85 scholly threshold. Again, not verified, I have no link but what I've read and heard in the past. So, to your point, dirty indeed (allegedly) :)
I lived down there for several years and am still in the heart of SEC country. I think much of what you a hearing is urban legend. They do cut some lose but not more than anyone else. Their record setting QB waited several years to play and many last year didn't think he had the goods. Recruiting is so cut-throat down here in the South and if you had that reputation word would get out. I do believe they have been a bit more liberal with the medical hardship route but it doesn't seem any worse than anyone else. They are just a recruiting machine right now and Saban can back up everything he says. He is making a lot of 20 somethings into multi-millionaires and they know he can get them to the NFL. We don't have that at Nebraska to sell right now and I think that is as big an issue as the won loss record.

Last edited:
I lived down there for several years and am still in the heart of SEC country. I think much of what you a hearing is urban legend. They do cut some lose but not more than anyone else. Their record setting QB waited several years to play and many last year didn't think he had the goods. Recruiting is so cut-throat down here in the South and if you had that reputation word would get out. I do believe they have been a bit more liberal with the medical hardship route but it doesn't seem any worse than anyone else. They are just a recruiting machine right now and Saban can back up everything he says. He is making a lot of 20 somethings into multi-millionaires and they know he can get them to the NFL. We don't have that at Nebraska to sell right now and I think that is as big an issue as the won loss record.
Exactly^^^^^ It'd be a tough call if Saban and Frost were both recruiting my son. To properly advise given the body of work thus far.

Sounds like they run it like a pro team except using the scholly. Don't cut it they just pull the scolly player gone.

I take it the SEC doesn't have the lifetime education or guaranteed degree that the big 10 does

Sounds like they run it like a pro team except using the scholly. Don't cut it they just pull the scolly player gone.

I take it the SEC doesn't have the lifetime education or guaranteed degree that the big 10 does
I’m not well enough versed in how SEC recruiting goes but you bring up great points.

Nick Saban’s presence alone sells. He now has more titles than anyone, ever. Alabama won’t slip at all, until Saban retires. Tom Osborne’s presence alone sold NU. Nebraska no longer has that presence. Hopefully Frost can change that. Have to start winning.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back